What's new

Having intermittent trouble getting CD-r’s to play in my Denon 2900. (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a “2900” search and turned up no answers. Anyway, it’s odd because it’s an intermittent problem. Sometimes they will play, sometimes not. But, the same CD-R’s play just fine in my 10-year old Sony 5 disc carousel or in my car. I’m burning with a Lite-On CD burner and Nero Express software. I’m also using Ritek RiData 80 52x Silver Matte disc’s. Is this a copy-right issue, or do I have a problem with my 2900? Any feedback?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, It is sort of known that Denon doesn't make the most reliable hardware out there. That *might* be the cause. (Try the CD-R's you have problems with on the 2900 on some other player.)

The other issues are that sometimes you have to find the optimum: a) CD-R material, b) write speed, c) writer.

Shoot, there are some CD-R forums out there that address this in *much* more detail. If you are making the CD-R's yourself, I would quickly suggest *not* to use cheap no-name CD-R material. Use Maxell, TDK, Sony, etc. (I like Fuji the best.) Also, decrease the write speed you use in the software. (For example, I write at 1/4 the highest speed my writer can write at.) Those two simple things might solve the problem.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
Couldn't you also put MP3s on a CD-R or DVD-R/+R? That could also solv you ills.

Denons are notorious for disc incompatabilities btw.

The Pioneers, on the flip side, are legendary for reading all sorts of discs and being reliable.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Kevin: Prior to purchase, I wasn’t aware of any problems with the 2900. I’m starting to hear things now though. I have this problem with several types of media. Ritek, TDK and Sony. I always burn a 4x or 8x speed. These discs play fine in my old Sony 5 disc changer, by the way.

David: “Denons are notorious for disc incompatabilities btw.” Wish I had know that before I dropped almost a grand on this unit a couple of years ago. I use the unit mostly for Hi-Res audio (SACD, DVD-A & concert DVD’s), but it would be nice to be able to use all my CD-R’s as well.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Drop kick the Denon 2900 to Ebay or Audiogon and get yourself a Pioneer 59AVI, which runs any and every disc. Legendary reliability to boot. It can be had nowadays for $700 shipped. Audio and video wise, it compares to the Denon 3910...except without the headaches!

Life is too short my friend.

(P.S. Another universal player option, is the highly touted Yamaha S-2500 which just came onto the market (~$650). The 59AVI is still better as it has 14 bit Dacs vs. 12 bit. Plus, I hear some having minor disc compatability issues. The jury is still out on this one as it just hit the market. A high end Sherwood universal player is also hitting the market soon...)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
David: Man...I wish I could, but it ain't gonna' happen any time soon. I just bought a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.2's and the matching center (Studio CC v.2) from Audiogon. Got to get those paid for first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks