Having home built - questions.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Philip Hamm, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm having a home built. It's not custom built, so I won't have as much customizability as most of you like. I have a few questions.

Part of the basement rec room is going to be my home theater. I am planning on running 2" conduit from the corner of the room where I forsee my gear living to a spot in the middle of the ceiling where someday there will be a projector. I'm also planning on running speaker wire, they have an electrical contractor who will do that for me, I've seen his work in the model home. I'll probably have to pay extra for 12G [​IMG].

I am also going to have a 110v outlet installed in the ceiling, and an outlet where my HT gear is intended. These outlets will be on their own breaker. I'm also going to have the recessed lighting in that part of the basement attached to a single switch so I can attach a dimmer. There will be no fluorescent light in the house.

Questions:

* How far should I set the installation location from the target wall? I have lots of space to work with, and plan on a 100" screen someday.

* Should I have a ceiling fan rough-in installed where I plan on putting the projector? That seems like a good idea to me, but I've never done this.

Other recommendations are welcome.

2. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I am not planning on buying a projector for at least 5 years, if ever. I just want to be ready in 5 years when (if) I get one. So what distinace would you recommend for the current popular short-throw projectors? Or should I leave nothing and rip up the walls then?

4. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

When the conduit is installed just make sure that they bring it to the center of the room and then straight to the back or front of the room. This way, you have a long straight run down the center of the room so that no matter where your projector sits you can just cut a hole in the ceiling and then cut the conduit to length.

The downside is that you will have a hole to patch but it solves the length problem.

I put my electrical outlet at about 13'.

Make sure that they don't put any 90 degree turns in the conduit. Get them to use 45's or better yet, 22.5's. Trying to run wire at a 90 degree angle just doesn't work very well. The electrician won't like it because it means more cutting and gluing but he won't be around when you try to run cables. [​IMG]

Oh yeah, another thing, have them pull a nylon string through the conduit. Makes pulling cable a snap.

Good luck.

Paul.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would shoot for 12-13 ft. Keep in mind that the mounting location will be a few inches away from the video & power drops in the ceiling. A mounting location of 12' to accomodate a screen of 100" (16x9) will give you a large number of projectors to choose from with that throw.

6. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Is the fan rough-in a good idea?

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Well we signed the contract on the new home today (woohoo!). I've decided where the HT is going to be, and there's storage space behind it. That means I can set up an infinte baffle sub. [​IMG] [​IMG] It also means that things get a lot simpler, I may get an IR repeater and rack and set up all my gear out of sight. That would be cool!

I was hoping someone would chime in on my fan rough-in idea though. Anyone? Bueller?

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]

For string placement, simply run the strings at the same time as you are running the video cables. Attach one end of the strings to the cables and after they are all run, the strings will be in place.

10. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I too am wondering about a fan in between the projector and screen. Maybe someone will educate us.

scott

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm not putting the fan between the projector and the screen. I am putting a rough-in for a ceiling fan in my room at 13'. When I buy a projector I am planning on mounting it to the rough-in location. I'll ask over on avsforum.

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Philip,

13. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Philip:

In answer to your question that sounds like a good idea to me. I would think about putting it back about 6 to 12 inches from where you think you are going to put a projector. Let's say you are going to put your projector back about 13 feet. I would put the box for the ceiling fan about 14 foot back. Then when you mount the projector, take down your fan and put a cover plate over the box you used for the ceiling fan, convert it to a plug and there ya go.

Another person to talk to is RAF about this as he has been there and done that.

Parker

14. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I'll tell you my fan experience. My room is 20' long and was wired and reinforced for a fan by the builder dead center in the room, 10' or so. My projector is mounted at 15 feet or so.

Originaly there was just a crappy light installed in the center of the room and I took that down when I started the theater. After using the theater for a month or so my wife said it was way too hot in there and that we should put a ceiling fan up where the light used to be. I was concerned about it intefereing with the light path and from reflected light and various other things but went ahead and did it for her anyway.

That was probably the best tweak I ever did for the room. I went to home depot and got an all black ceiling fan and mounted it with an enclosed flush mount kit so it fits right next to the ceiling. It is completely out of the way and blows very nice cool air down on the primary seeting area now and all is good. Also, since it was flat black to begin with, there is no light reflection and with the lights off people can not even tell that there is a fan. Except during quiet passage when the fan makes some creaking noises, which I am trying to diagnose since they are intermittant.

I should also add that I have a cathedral ceiling which makes it easier to get the fan up out of the way.

15. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jeff:

And as a side effect you get to keep your projector really cooled down.

Parker

16. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Yup, the really good thing is that the PJ vents to the front, right to the fan. Works out very nicely.