What's new

"Having his cake..."--why does everybody get this wrong? (1 Viewer)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
999 out of 1000 people agree that 1 out of 1000 people disagree.

And how about this misstated saying: "The proof is in the pudding". NO IT'S NOT!!! (Imagine me reaching into a bowlful of pudding and yanking out the proof.)

"The proof of the pudding is in the tasting," Q.E.D.

-JNS

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Ike and Andrew, I stand corrected on 'ironical'.

How ironical that I would get that wrong.

Jon

(who never minds being corrected, because it means I've learned something)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
From dictionary.com
vir·tu·al·ly Pronunciation Key (vûrch--l) adv.
1. In fact or to all purposes; practically: The city was virtually paralyzed by the transit strike.
2. Almost but not quite; nearly: Virtually everyone gets a headache now and then (People).
So, "virtualy everyone" seems acceptable (for the record I never said it wasn't :) ).

Scott_G

Second Unit
I think most of us just repeat what we have heard and don't really think about it.

I'm in computer hardware and got corrected a few years ago when I was saying "NIC card". NIC stands for "network interface card". I still notice a lot of people in my field saying this one and I try to correct them with something like "you want this network interface card card ??" It helps if you make a joke out of the situation yet pass along a little correction.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
There's also PIN number, VIN number, and ATM machine (already mentioned, I know), and my favorite redundancy, from George Carlin:

Hot water heater.

Jon

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to nitpick, but 'proof of the pudding' makes perfect sense. 'Proof' can also mean 'test' - thus, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' means that the test of whether it's a good pudding is in what it tastes, rather than looks like (at the time of its origins, the phrase probably referred to a savoury pie or stew, such as pease pudding, rather than a fancy dessert). Hence also the apparently paradoxical phrase 'it's the exception that proves the rule'; after all, it is the exception rather than something which conforms which tests if a rule is correct.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
My pet peeve: people who preface their sentences with "to be frank" or "honestly". (As opposed, of course, to "dishonestly" or "to be deceitful".)

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
If the entire English speaking world doesn't stop using the word "apropos" as if it were a synonym for "appropriate" I'll not be responsible for what happens when I snap. "Apropos" means "pertaining to" or "regarding."

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It bugs me when people make references to an alternate or parallel universe. By definition, a universe is comprised of all that exists. Thus there can be only one!

What definition is that? The universe is comprised of all that exists IN THAT UNIVERSE. If there is another universe OUTSIDE that universe, it's a parallell universe.

/Mike

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The universe is comprised of all that exists IN THAT UNIVERSE
I agree with James. The definition of "The universe" is:

The aggregate of all existing things; the sum total of creation.

It's true that one can refer to, for example, the universe of things within a certain realm (for example, all red haired people), but when talking about THE Universe, it refers to EVERYTHING that exists. Therefore, it's much more accurate to use, say "parallel dimensional plane" or something similar, instead of "parallel universe".

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Ken, 'frase' is spelt with a 'ph' at the beginning instead of an 'f', and 'rats ass' should have an apostrophe between the 't' and the 's' of 'rats'. And if you didn't give a toss(to use the Brit equivalent phrase) about this thread, then why bother to read it?

'Forte' can be pronounced either way in Brit pronunciation as well (something I didn't know until I checked it up in Chambers just now; you learn something new every day, etc, etc).

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
You know, the whole way that people misuse language enables that language to evolve (devolve?). If the language police had been around back in the 1600s, we would still be theeing and thying and saying "betwixt" a lot.
I suspect that in another 250 years everything will be written in l33t. Part of that whole cyborgization thing.
But never fear, there will always be Latin for those rulemongers out there ;)
-JNS

Julie K

Screenwriter
As for "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," think of it as a hunter would.
Ah, beat me to it. I can eat the bird I'm holding, but there's no guarantee that I can even catch the two hiding in the bush.
Getting rid of 'alternate universe' is going to upset a lot of science fiction writers and fans. I would say there's a well-defined usage of the term.
I'm also going to defend "near miss". The event was a miss, but one at a small distance instead of a large distance. Such distinctions make a big difference in your laundry bill ;)
Here's one I like. A nice bilingual redundancy:
The La Brea Tar Pits.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
"I could care less" is actually correct, if interpreted as a sarcastic remark.

I don't have a problem with RBIs. Otherwise, wouldn't pluralizing "DVD" be incorrect? The acronym DVD also stands for Digital Video (or versatile) Discs (even if the redundant "s" would be on the last word).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Got to agree with Julie. In my language the ratio is even higher (although we leave out the actual worth): One bird in the hand is better than ten in the air. Close to: Don't sell the bear's hide before he's shot.

An expression that puzzles me (and I often see it on this forum) is: "anyhoo", or "anywho". I suppose it should be simply "anyhow"?

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks