What's new

Having defended Gran Turismo 3, I'm now going to attack it! (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
A while ago I was one of those defending Gran Turismo 3 for its realism, etc. However, I have got to say that some of the more 'advanced' races in the professional league are downright boring, because they are far too long, and also, once you start a series race, you are stuck in it.
To elabourate:
(a) the endurance races are nearly all are two hours long and thoroughly dull. Yes, I am well aware of the meaning of 'endurance' but there is usually an implication of continually battling against the odds. However, this is not the case with GT3. You know after a few laps at most who is going to win and the rest of the time is just a struggle to fight off boredom. I can't play these races in the evening because I fall asleep.
(b) once you start on a series race you must do all the races in the series in sequence, and you cannot break off to do any other races. Since many of the races in the professional series take an hour or so each, you are committed to one series for a lot of days without any break.
Again, I know that in some senses this is a measure of endurance, but the simple fact is that the same criticism as advanced in (a) applies here - you rapidly know who is going to win and all you are left to test is the ability to withstand tedium.
The simple fact is that I have little incentive to complete a lot of the professional league races and endurance events. I know that I can win them (such modesty!) but I cannot summon up the enthusiasm to commit myself to a lot of hours of driving round a limited range of circuits. If the professional league had different and more demanding circuits, things might be different, but I suspect that so much space has been (IMHO) wasted on the replay and arcade facilities that there wasn't room for more circuits.
Am I the only curmudgeon about this, or does anyone else feel the same way?

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I just passed the 50% point.
I'm totally bored with it.
All the same tracks.
All the same races.
No incentive to continue....
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, if you guys feel that way about it, how about I take it off your hands??
biggrin.gif
Name your price!
Chris

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I felt the same way after GT2. I don't own a PS2 nor have I ever tried GT3, but what I started to do with the longer races in GT2 was to good off on them.. Go slow and draft behind the slower competitors and then race all out to catch the faster ones that have passed you. Or perhaps start running into the walls and stuff. At least it helps with the boredom!
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I literally played the game for 30 minutes and haven't touched it since. I, however, can't put down Madden 2K2. Never, never will I get suckered into buying a game I know is visually appealing but lacks any real "uumph".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but in real-life, races last more than just 5 minutes. Having really long races is realistic. Boring, but realistic.
Racing games are not made for Action gamers, they are made for Racing gamers. It probably doesn't appeal to your tastes (same happened to me with this game) but you should have thought about whether or not you like racing sims that are as serious as this one.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I am like 2% or 3% complete with this game and its become a real yawner. I do like watching the demo replays though. As far as completing the endurance races, umm I think I'd rather watch paint dry.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
umm I think I'd rather watch paint dry.
laugh.gif

Well I do like the game, I wouldn't touch the endurance races with a ten foot pole. I'm just not interested in that long of a race. Triple the amount of opponent cars and cut the race time to about a 1/4 of what it is right now would improve the game 1000% for me. I have the same problem with the Nascar games, they just aren't for me unless the races stay under 10 laps even though I am a racing game freak.
Dean

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, with respect, I pointed out that I wasn't complaining about it 'taking time' in the first post. It's the fact that it's a totally foregone conclusion with no challenge beyond staying awake, on a very limited range of circuits. Also, it's not remotely realistic to lap the second place car two or three times in the course of a race. It's also worth noting that many of the races take longer than a real grand prix race to complete.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have to side with you Andrew.
Personally, I think the game WAS fun...perhaps, still is a bit. That's saying something for a game where you see the exact same stuff, over and over, because it has a limited amount of tracks; many of which, we've been seeing since the original GT!!!
But, after completing only 3 endurance races, I'm at the point where I can't step up to the plate, so to speak, to do some more.
There's really no challenge. As Andrew stated; you know almost instantly, whether it's going to be a challenge or an exercise in withstanding boredom for 2 hours.
Actually, I know before the race begins if it's going to be a joke or not just by how well I do compared to the other cars, while qualifying. If I spank the 2nd place guy and take the pole position, it means there is going to be no challenge to the forthcoming race. I've lapped the 2nd place guy 2 or 3 laps, in the last 3 endurance races.
Perhaps the game needs just a bit more on the AI. I think some people have already ripped on the "advanced AI" of this game already.
There isn't any. One car is randomly picked by the AI to be the only real challenger of the race. The rest are like, jam cars. (remember TCR racing from the 1970's?)
Anyhoo...if Polyphony guts the AI for the next iteration of GT, and tosses out all of the tracks that have been there since the very...first...game, and gives us new ones, I think the next version should be pretty friggin' awesome.
You know what else I'd like to see for the next version? I'd like to see some point-to-point races, like the ones in the 1st version of Need For Speed. They were killer!!!!!
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Hi,
I agreed with most people here. The game is getting pretty boring now. My game status is close to 60 percent and been playing off and on. I have yet to touch any of those endurance races b/c it seems way too long. Playing the professional races that consumes about 30 mins per race is alright boring. I'm not sure if I can managed 2 hrs or so. However, the only thing that is keep me going is trying to unlock those cars (ie. F1 cars, etc...) It's been a great challenge to where I am at. Since, I never played GT2 -- so playing GT3 is a new experience for me. Playing $50 for this game was well-worth it.
bruce

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
What can I say...the game isn't for you if you think the endurance races are boring.
Try using a car from your garage that won't dominate the entire field of cars. Pick a car that will remain in deep contention, not domination after the first lap of a 200 lap race.
------------------
LuvLBX
[Edited last by Jerry Gracia on September 20, 2001 at 09:24 AM]

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
For one thing, you can harp on the realism of this game, but it's NOT realistic. It's a joke. It's made for Japanese gamers with pathetic lives that LIVE to tinker with crap. Washing your car makes it go faster? Mmmmm right. How about when I make a turn and my car refuses to turn? I FREQUENTLY make turns at 80 miles an hour in real life and NEVER has my car refused to make the turn, or have my tires slipped out. ONCE in my life I have done a 180 in my car, that happens about 10 times a race in this game (OK more like once a race your car will lose control). Couple that with a bias against European cars and you have what amounts to a YAWNER. They should called called in Gran Putmetosleepo.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I've only played GT3 for a day, but I find it to be as fun as the original. I don't mind the limited tracks since the different cars bring different challenges to each track, so that right there is good for replayability. Plus with the rally additions make this a must have title IMHO.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks