1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Having an Audio Rack built......... any suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geo, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

I haven't been able to find that ideal audio rack so I'm having one built.
    I want it to be enclosed to keep dust and dirt out, yet somewhat open enough to allow good component ventilation. I want adjustable shelves so each component (up to 10 or so) no matter what size will have it's own space. The audio rack shelves will be extra wide, extra thick and extra deep (around 2 feet deep). I also want it to be turnable so I can have easy access for wiring, etc....... since the rack will be placed in a corner that makes rear access frustrating and nearly impossible. I'd like the back to have some sort of easily removable panels that would hide ugly wiring but make access easy when removed. Have some sort of foldable/rolling front doors, ideally remote controlled. Also a roll out shelf or two for turntables, etc.......... Some sort of wiring management system, power cords down one side, speaker wires down the other, maybe audio wires down the middle........
    etc........ etc............
    Before the builder of this rack gets going, I'd like to make sure that all bases are covered concerning the construction and design of this rack. So I'm looking for suggestions on features, construction and design from the experts........ you guys.
    If you have any ideas that would help make this audio rack more user friendly, please let me know.
    Regards,
    geo

2. Dennis Kindig

Why don't you just buy a commercial 19" rack from Markertek or some other supplier? I ordered a 44-space rack with casters, rear door, 25" deep, drawers, custom faceplates, and universal shelves. I needed the space because I have six monoblocks going in under the drawer unit.
    I just ran into a supplier at Networld/Interop that makes racks in custom colors with front and rear doors, power strips, cable management tracks and fans for $695.
    The plus with Markertek is that they offer laser-cut front panels that fit equipment faceplates EXACTLY and trim strips that cover the screws. This provides a very finished look and with anti-theft screws a thief would have to either chisel the screw heads off the front or carry off the entire rack to steal anything. The color differences between the anodized faceplates and the components are mainly because of the flash, and don't show under normal lighting.
    Dennis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

I think I am in LOVE.. [​IMG]
    Where can I buy Markertek ???
    ------------------

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Dennis,
    *shudders* I see enough server racks at work.. The last
    thing i'd want to do is come home to another one! Hehe
    Just razzin.. Looks good..
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Sounds like fun! My first thought was to have it twice as wide, so 2 components could be placed side by side for each shelf, having the same height. Using pins, like in any prefab rack with the holes going up the sides would be the most adjustable. You could also have front lips on the shelves to prevent the equipment from sliding out and to cover up the top of the shelf below. If the shelves were 1" thick, then the lip could be 2" wide, and extend 1/2" top and bottom, like a 'T').
    You didn't mention your floor, and could put the whole thing on casters to slide it in and out. You could get huge ones and cover them up with a skirt over the bottom shelf.
    The cords are always a problem. If you rewired everything with home made/custom length RG'6, a lot of the clutter would be gone, and since it is in the corner, an extra piece of wood extending behind the open side of the rack could cover all of the cables.
    That's all I'm going to tackle.
    Glenn

6. Dennis Kindig

You can buy it here:
    Markertek
    The manufacturer's site:
    Middle Atlantic
    If Markertek's online catalog doesn't show it, they can get it, and generally for a good deal less that Middle Atlantic's list price. The custom shelves for my preamp, VCR and DVD were $88.00 each in the brushed anodized finish. Middle Atlantic's list is $115.00. This is the ERK series rack. It's not cheap, but it is very nice looking...
    Brett, I'm the director of IT for my company and I had a network admin friend of mine over a few days ago and when he saw the rack he just burst out laughing!!
    Dennis