having a problem with my wega AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Weingar, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Michael Weingar

Hello all,
    My girldfriend bought me a play station 2 for Christmas and just hooked it up, using the weird supplied cable that is specifically made for the PS2. It has a composite video cable and two rca audio cables, (haven't purchased a S-Video cable for it yet)Anyway, after selecting an open video jack on the Wega KV-32FV300 I fired it up and noticed a black stripe about 1/3 inch thick running down the left side of the screen and ~1/6 inch running at the top. Essentially, the picture is shifted to the right. So, I tried a different input-same thing, and another- same thing. I even asked a neighbor to borrow his PS2 to see if his displayed the same problem and narrow down the culprit. His did the same thing as mine on my TV. I then hooked up a VCR to the composte input and had no problem. I do not want to raise the overscan on the tv because of the playstation and wind up loosing periferal picture info on my DVD's just to fill up the screen for the playstation. is there a way to set overscan/HPOS for video input one without changing these settings for video 4(DVD)? If i calibrate it for the playstation, then the DVD player picture will be off. What gives? Can anybody PLEEEEEEEEEAASE help
    ANYBODY? PLEASE HELP!!!! Thanks[​IMG]

2. Michael Weingar

Sorry, change both those measurements to about 1/2 on the left side and the top.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    its not your TV, its your PS2. Look for controls on your PS.

Best of luck

Gregg

4. Michael Weingar

Thank you gregg for you prompt response. I looked at the menu options and there are non that correct my problem. These bars that I am seeing are on the sides and look exactly like symptoms of underscan. The amount of underscan varies with the game. This is very very strange.

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    This is normal. What your seeing is caused by the PS2 not having the pixel count to fill up your screen. A friend of mine has both PS2 and X-Box connected and has the same problem with PS2, X-Box on the other hand contains more pixel info and thus fills his screen completely.

6. Michael Weingar

Thank you John.
    It's a bit relieving to hear that I am not the only one with this problem, but nevertheless, I am still quite annoyed. I expected to have a full screen of gaming and not have these black underscan anamolies. WTF! I does not seem to affect many, b/c I searched all over to find out if anybody is experiencing the same thing, and nothing. Are you telling me that anybody who hooks up a PS@ to a 32 inch tv that has its overscan correctly set is going to see this crap on the screen? Perhaps the people who dont have this problem simply have so much overscan that the PS2's pixel count being too low does not show its head. Another strange thing, DVD's play just fine, filling up the entire screen from left to right. [​IMG]

7. You're going to want to upgrade to component video cables anyway, so I would try that first.

My WEGA / PS2 combo does not exhibit this trouble at all, failing other options you may want to exchange that PS2.

I've seen some individual PS1/PS2 games that were off center, but most games have a centering option in the game menu (then you save your settings to mem card).

It sounds like you're saying the PS2 boot screens / control panel are off center, definitely not right...

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I don't know about that Frank, every PS2 i've ever seen exhibits this phenominon. I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem or a software one though.

Michael,
    let me consult my friend, he's very knowledgeable about game systems, his names Jerry Gracia and i'll get him to post here. He can explain it better than I could. Check this thread periodically tomorrow.

EDIT: Michael, I just spoke with him and he agreed to take a look at this thread tomorrow. I also e-mailed him this thread to make it easier.

9. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

On my KV-34XBR800 television, when playing games I get wierd red lines at the top and bottom, sometimes the top and sometimes the bottom of the screen and when watching dvd's that are full-frame (such as Casablanca and Citizen Kaine) I get a hazy gray bar going down the left side of the picture area. I am watching these unzoomed in 4:3 with bars on the left and right. What should I do? The gray bar on the left is very annoying!

10. Michael Weingar

Thanks John!

11. Michael Weingar

I would suggest you adjust for overscan, sounds like it is underscanning. OR- look at the horizontal postion, maybe your picture is merely off center

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Michael,
    I was talking to my friend today and we were discussing your problem and he basically confirmed that it is indeed a pixel issue with the PS2's. He explained that for some reason, Sony designed it into the spec for PS2 and it's games. Don't ask me why, your guess is as good as mine on that one, overscan proofing maybe?

If you still have some doubts, I would take Frank's suggestion and exchange it for another, I am confident that the new one will appear the same way though.