What's new

Having a major problem with my receiver (1 Viewer)

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Technics SA DX950 for about 3 years now, very good avr imo. Anyway something is wrong with it and I’m just pitching out the problem to you guys and gals in hope that at lease someone has run across the same problem. To start with let me go back a couple months to when the problem first arise, was playing the AVR one day everything is good, and then I heard a click sound come from the receiver and followed was a scratching sound coming from all the speakers, I mean I was so loud I had to turn the receiver off…turned it back on and I played fine. curious as to what had just happened, I checked all my wiring and everything was fine. Now recently, it happens often, actually this occurs every time I use it.
Note: I can still hear what ever it is I’m playing it’s just that the scratching sound over powers it.. Currently it has gotten so bad that when I power off the receiver and put it back on the problem is still there, (when the off and on use to be a quick fix before), I sometimes have to leave it off for days just to get a couple hours usage out of it. Oh, I also disconnected the speakers (JBL N24 Bookshelf Speaker mains/surround, JBL N-Center II) and use just a headphone and heard the same scratching sound in the headphone speakers.
Well that’s my problem, any help would be grateful…..thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It sounds like it may be time to get a new receiver. Something inside is kicking the bucket.

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
Budget does not allow a new one right now, i will send it to a technicain and find out how much it cost to repair.
by the way, give me some recomendations on receivers i should check out for when i'm finally ready to purchase a new one.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, it's probably going to cost about half of what a new receiver will. Take a look at the Onkyo TX-SR502 thread, you might want to consider one of those on a budget - one guy posted that he got a refurb for $162 shipped, which is probably about what you'll spend having that one looked at. If you're looking for something nicer, let us know what your budget is.

AngLus

Auditioning
i believe it won't cost alot to repair
should give it a shot
sounds like your grounding has gone berserk or your regulators (they use diods inside the receivers i think) are malfunctioning

if it's either of the above
shoulden't cost more than 30$ at the most and that's from the most expensive repair shop you can find

Anthony*gw

Stunt Coordinator
I will try the repair option first....the Onkyo TX-SR502 looks like a winner but i will want something with a little more power(90-100 watts)with a budget of $200-300.

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with John. Most places I've been to charge $40 just to tell you what the problem is. Recently happened to me with a DVD player. I'd rather put the money in a new one rather than take the chance on paying someone $40 to tell me he can't fix it or that it will cost $$$ to fix.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Does the clicking sound originate in the receiver, or the speakers? If it's from the receiver itself, something is happening with the turn-on surge/protection relay.

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
get a refurb onkyo 602 or harman kardon refurb 230 or 330 right in your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks