Having a couple of problems running things through my receiver...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SamJiriki, Jan 12, 2006.

1. SamJiriki

SamJiriki Auditioning

Jan 12, 2006
    I'm new to most of this stuff, so forgive me if I ask something incorrectly for this forum.

I have a Yamaha 5650 6.1 receiver and a Toshiba HD ready Widescreen TV. Going into the receiver I have a Toshiba - Progressive-Scan DVD Player w/HD Upconversion and HDMI Output, digital cable, and an Xbox.

I just got the DVD player for christmas - everything else was set up fine before. I was running the Xbox with the component video cables and optical audio. I did the same thing with the DVD player. When I hooked it up, though, I was having the darndest time getting both the XBox and the DVD player to work - the receiver has two component inputs, one labeled DVD and one labeled D/TV and I figured that one would work for each of the DVD and Xbox.

Problem is - when I hooked the DVD player into the component input labeled DVD and moved the Xbox to the other one, I seem to have done something wrong, as my Xbox is now having colour issues. Everything on the screen has more of a blueish tint to it (ie - things that should be green are showing blueish). I checked all the connections, and everything is securely plugged in, and none of the cables (they're all pretty high-end monster cables - I was suckered by Best Buy) are damaged or pulling apart or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sure I'm not including enough information here, but I'm not sure what else to add...
  2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Mar 8, 2000
    Make sure you've got the plugs plugged into the correct inputs: red to red, green to green, blue to blue.

The symptom you describe sounds like something might be mixed up.

Also check that the monster cables are fitting snugly to the jacks. A friend of mine bought a monster "subwoofer" cable and the thing really was loose-fitting.