HAVi (Home Audio Video Interoperability) standards...anyone know anything about this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I did a search on this forum and on the web and didn't find much useful information.
    HAVi is a standard set up by a bunch of electronics manufacturers. They have approximately 20 other companies willing to fall in line as well. Sony, Philips, RCA, Panasonic are all in on this.
    It is an embedded system in the electronics. Some units will have the ability to control other units. All units will identify themselves and the functions to whatever is on the network (firewire/iLINK).
    http://www.havi.org/ was the web site I found.
    Some of Mitsubishi's newest TVs are going to have HAVi in them, so I have started to wonder if this will really take off.
    I didn't find anything on this forum when I did my search, so I am assuming this hasn't been covered too much ??? If so, a link to that info would be great!
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Bill,
    I remember reading something about this, but unfortuantly, where I read this escapes me at this time. If and when I recall, I will certainly post it.
    Regards
    Geoff

3. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

This is actually a really good idea and I hope it takes off. The only thing that worries me is that the advantages will be nullified by stringent copy protection.
    My understanding is that basically everything is connected with firewire(iLink is firewire basically) cables. The firewire cables carry control and status signals as well as audio and video.
    Ex. When plugged into your receiver your dvd player can tell it whether it is on or not and what it's status is -playing, stopped, etc. Also your receiver can send instructions to turn on, turn off play etc.
    The receiver acts now as a media hub. Controlling and routing signals and even displaying status on your TV etc. The biggest advantage is one cable to hook up everything. One cable to the receiver for your DVD player that carries all audio and video. One cable to your TV form the receiver. The speed and bandwidth of the firewire connection allows you to eliminate the cable mess we have all become accustomed to. Plus the control is great.
    The problem is the built in copy protection. A dvd player will not hook up to an unauthorized receiver or TV. This means no overseas components and no APEX type components. You basically have to have a license to make electronic gear. Otherwise official components will refuse to talk to it.
    There are a lot of other issues surrounding this technology as well but it certainly is interesting.
    ------------------
    200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
    My DVDs

4. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I'm definitely interested to see where it ends up going. I love the idea of HAVi. Computer, lights, A/V, security system, refrigerator, etc.
    I see what you are saying about copy protection. I guess it will depend on how the members of HAVi want to see this grow. If they allow a more internet-ish approach then they will lose control but it will have network-power. The network of users will grow faster ensuring that the standard will become embedded in more than just the A/V side. The refrig is a perfect example (or any appliance really).
    Imagine a refrigerator that can tell when something is taken out and not put back (and therefore says you have run out of 'it'). If it is hooked to HAVi, you should be able to see a started grocery list on your TV or computer. You could even get it uploaded to an internet account with your local grocery store.
    Yup, copyright protection is important to consider, but the power of this type of network is immense. It is java-based and should link into the Inter/Intranet very easily.
    $0.02 - the more I think about this sort of thing the more I like it!
    Bill