What's new

Have your ever sat behind the statge? (1 Viewer)

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Anyone out there ever sat behind the stage at a rock concert in your typical arena?

If so how is the sound compared to being on the sides in the lower bowl? Obviously the floor is the best sounding but I would like to know what people consider to be the best spot if your stuck in the lower bowl.

Thanks

John Geelan

Screenwriter
It's not bad as long as the group elevates the equipment and acknowledges the fan's back there.

I saw Bruce at Giants Stadium that way and it was fine.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
A couple of years back, I saw Elton John/Billy Joel at San Jose Arena, sitting above and behind the stage. Not bad at all since the sound system were elevated, and actually a lot closer to the stage than some of the seats facing the stage. Both Elton John and Billy Joel not only acknowledged the fans "back there", they played to us.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I sit behind/side stage quite frequently. Bruce was my first, but I've done it for the Stones, Madonna, U2, McCartney and probably a bunch of others I can't think of right now. It's a great option. While the angle may not be great, you're close and get a good look at things. Acts virtually always play to the rear to a degree - some more than others - and it's an interesting vantage point.

In this day and age of expensive tickets, it's also a way to get close without paying as much (usually). For acts like Madonna and McCartney, my $90 ticket was often about five feet from someone with a $250 ticket.

I've had some friends who spazzed when I bought them BTS seats - everyone assumes the worst. However, they totally changed their minds when we actually sat there. I suppose some people experience behind/side stage and don't like it, but I think most people frown on it due to ignorance.

As for sound quality, it depends a lot more on the system itself and the venue than the location. I've had great sound BTS, I've had terrible sound BTS. But you know what? I've had great sound in the front sections, I've had terrible sound in the front sections. Don't let potential audio problems scare you from BTS...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Dave Matthews Band like this. I was hesitant, but my friend insisted. The sound was fine, and we were sitting right above the drummer, watching him do his thing.

NP: Marillion, La Gazza Ladra

BrianMB

Agent
I saw the Grateful Dead's last show in Philly from behind the stage. Sounded fine, plus I could read the lyrics from Jerry's teleprompter:p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks