What's new

Have you watched and listened to Blu-ray DVD concerts? (1 Viewer)

Manus

Second Unit
I haven't heard it yet but the new Porcupine Tree BD ' Anesthetize' should be something special when it arrives in May judging by Steven Wilson's previous works Dvd and Dvd-A like the the King Crimson Dvd-As and PT's own 'The Incident' .

Its not up for order just yet ( any day now ) but it consists of the ' Fear of a Blank Planet' setlist with a few golden oldies thrown in .

Also like the John Mayer BD ( though I hope to never actually meet him personally ;) ) , the Jeff Beck is also stunning and I like the Dave Matthews and Sheryl Crow

~M~

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
I'll have to keep an eye out for that Porcupine Tree BD! I just signed up for Walt Disney's "Fantasia" in BD at Amazon that one should be good.
Not familiar with Chickenfoot, what kind of music do they play?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Chickenfoot is Sammy Hagar, Joe Satriani, Michael Anthony, and Chad Smith. It's pretty straightforward hard rock.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Whatever happened to the Blu-ray release of the Paul McCartney concert at the new Mets Citifield last year? They aired an hour on national TV on Thanksgiving; what we saw was awesome (somthing like 29 cameras), and still ... nothing? Just that Space Between concert from 2006 so for on BDwhich people aren't so crazy about (visually).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Mason

The BNL disc has a decent audio track (much better than the lackluster DVD), but the actual concert was disappointing considering how amazing their live shows usually are. I wish they had released it unedited with the full set list intact. Ah well...

Haven't seen the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall disc mentioned. This was a fantastic release though, highly recommended with great picture quality and incredible lossless 5.1 and stereo mixes.

Not a huge John Mayer fan, but I saw some of his Blu-ray concert disc and it looked and sounded great as well, for those who are interested.
No BR concert thread is worth a dang if this disc isn't mentioned. I'm surprised that it took this long, so well done Patrick. Both the audio AND video on this title are top-notch. The video, concert and playing are superb but the audio really shines...Tim Reynolds' delayed acoustic notes tend to just hang in there air and decay naturally. GREAT STUFF!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I found the Barenaked Ladies Blu at my local FYE (TransWorld) store for just $14.99 this weekend. [/url]

It's got a Dolby True HD stereo soundtrack and sounds terrific. Simon actually performs only a couple of songs at the end. It's a "tribute" concert with artists such as Allison Krauss, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Lyle Lovett, and many others performing Simon's songs.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'd like to know when THIS concert is made available on Blu-ray. What an awesome line-up.

www.thrasherswheat.org/2010/01/neil-young-honored-as-musicares-person.html

I know they've released these in the past (the tribute to Brian Wilson), but just check out who performs Young's songs at this show.

(Incidentally, I have that Paul Simon tribute BD and it's excellent -perhaps benefiting even greatly from NOT having Simon perform all his songs. Much like this Neil Young tribute might benefit from other better vocalists taking on his work.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have the DVD of the James Taylor "Musicares" and it has some high points, too. It's a good question if any of them will be put onto BD.

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
I just picked up the "Return To Forever" BD and WOW! what a sonic wonder this is. This was recorded with original RTF band and the performance is spectacular. My only problem with it was the Audio mix in DTS MA and Dolby 5.1, Al Di meola's guitar is in the left rear channel and at times is louder than the front channels, with my set up. I just had to re-adjust the levels and then.....perfection! This is now one of my reference BD's. I hope more RTF BD's are coming, this is a Super Band with absolutely some the best jazz fusion players ever, back together. Check out the Synthesizer drum solo Chick plays, it'll blow you away, really puts your sub to a test.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That sounds awesome. Except for the guitar in the left rear channel part. Were they going for some weird quadrophonic thing? :)

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
I've noticed this on other mixes, what there trying to achieve is putting you on stage with the band, I prefer to be in the audience. I like the crowd noise mixed with ambient sound from the band. I reset the volume back when I'm playing most other DVD's or BD's. It's a slight nuisance that other mixes some times have, depending on what the sound engineer wants. I've also noticed on other DVD and BD mixes that the volume changes on specific instruments, where the drums or bass gets cut a few notches during guitar or keyboard solos. It's there, but not as present as on other songs. Sound Engineers can make or break a performance with the mix, so it's important these guys do a good enough job to match the performance. I just wish there was a standard set for mixing, right now it's all over the place. Ya just have to learn how to adapt to each mix, I just wish it was easier to do.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. For example, Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead is a surround enthusiast and prefers mixing to place the listener on stage with the band rather than in the audience. The DVD-A of American Beauty is an example of this.

I enjoy that kind of mix that immerses you in the heart of the music and place it all around you. For me, it is an enjoyable aural experience. I get that some people don't like it though.

And I couldn't agree more with Mike that sound mixers can make or break the release.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Other than those already mentioned here, I can recommend Bad Company - Hard Rock Live (recorded 08/08/2008).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks