have you seen this speaker design?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by chuckg, Jun 14, 2004.

1. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I was idly looking at various speaker design, just in the off chance that I might get the bug and build a set.

I seem to remember seeing, some years ago (dimly, through some sort of haze or fog), a speaker cabinet design that used a tall box, with a vertical slot of varying width. The driver was at the bottom, facing upward. The slot started low and narrow, and was nearly as wide as the whole enclosure near the top. It looked to be an exponential curve.

I can't remember anything else about this, whether it was just an oddity or had some particular interesting feature.

Anyone have any idea?

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Sounds like some kind of horn. Can't say anything more than that, though.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Karlson horns amazingly they still have fans. One of the few cabinet designs that makes any speaker put in it sound bad. I had some in the early 1960's they were terrible.

4. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Wow, so that's what that is. A friend brought over a cabinet that internally looks just like the plans on that website. Here is a picture of one that they are showing the plans for on ebay.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag...nEnclosure.JPG

Are the old vintage ones worth anything? I have one that's about 35" tall for a 15" woofer taking up quite a bit of space right now.

John

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Depends on the speaker inside.

I inherited one that had a cabinet made from 1" solid mahogany, with a 2" thick solid mahogany baffle. The driver was a vintage Altec Lansing 604. That would have been worth something it todays market where there are cult collectors of everything 'vintage'. I actually gave it away decades ago because the Karlson horn so colored the sound it wasn't worth listening to. Note that I'm not a fan of the euphonics created from high efficiency drivers....

6. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

ah! much grass. I somehow had it fuddled in my mind with "Klpschorn" but I knew that was wrong - Klipsch, Karlson, whatever. Now grasshopper is happy.

7. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

ah! much grass. I somehow had it fuddled in my mind with "Klpschorn" but I knew that was wrong - Klipsch, Karlson, whatever. Now grasshopper is happy.