What's new

have you painted your garage floor? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Philip - thanks, but I went ahead and bought two 1-car packs.

Regardless, I spent the day cleaning the garage. After piing emptying the garage into the house I swept, rinsed, squeegeed, scrubbed, squeegeed, and rinsed ad nauseum. And still I find tiny gravel on the floor! :angry: And the cleaner was eating my squeegee!

I'll let it dry tonight and paint tomorrow. It's not been very warm this week, but hopefully the floor will be warm enough for the epoxy to adhere properly.

And I hope the painting goes faster than my (obsessive) cleaning.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
bahahahaha.

IMO the BEHR concrete degreaser is far superior to the powder that comes with the rustoleum kit. It's about 10 bucks for a gallon but might be worthwhile if you've still got some grease spots. I keep it around to clean oil spills up off the surface of the epoxy even.

David McGough

Second Unit
I went to a yard sale today and this fellow had his Garage
floor tile.. It looked real real cool
It was the peel off kind.
He said his 05 Vett don't leak...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I thought about that, HD has concrete sticky back tiles at about 50 cents each. 440 sq ft would need at least 440 tiles so 210 bucks...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think my cleaning was sufficient. But, it's still retaining water in some places, so the painting will likely wait until tomorrow evening.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I painted the garage floor yesterday with the Rustoleum epoxy. The cleaning, which I did two weeks ago, was the hard part. I spent about 6 hours on that. The painting was much easier, and took about four hours, including waiting on the epoxy to partially cure when first mixed.

It's looking good and was a decent early project for an unhandyman. I'll know more when I can park on it next week.

However, I could have done a better job. I've never painted before and was concerned I'd not have enough to cover my garage, so I was stingy in my first quarter of the garage. I ended with a lot of extra and where I started is too thin. Fortunately, where I started where I will have storage and shelving, which will hide it and make it less important.

I did the back half first, and then the front half. In hindsight, doing left half then right half would have let me better gauge the spread rate and touched up thin spots.

I'm glad I started at 10am, rather than waiting 'til 1pm like the package suggested. I was done by 1pm and could join friends for the afternoon.

I found it effective to sprinkle the confetti but placing it in a cupped had and then blowing it out for a more uniform distribution in places.

Here's other tips:
- For a two car garage, paint left half / right half. Paint the half away from the entrance into the house first.

- Start where you will likely have clean storage and can hide early painting mistakes (if you're a newbie like me).

- Buy two rollers, one for each kit.

- Keep the roller well soaked. If it gets too dry, it will start to pull up previously painted epoxy as you spread.

- Use a light touch. Pressing hard didn't help me.

- Use latex gloves. The stuff is a bit messy and I was cleaning epoxy off my doorknobs this morning.

- Don't be skimpy in the painting at the start.

- Work when it's 60 - 70 F. And work in the late morning.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I should have warned you that 2 gallons would be plenty, I think I mentioned that I used 1-1/2 gallons.
the stuff is at least h20 soluble, but it's sticky and nasty and gets everywhere.

beware the places you went over twice, I had some overlap and those areas didn't cure for 2 or 3 weeks.. might still be a bit soft.

too much crap in my garage, haven't parked in it yet!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was reading this even though I had no intention of doing anything to my garage floor.

Anyway, I'm have an outside concrete deck being poured next week. It's about 560 sq ft. Would this be a good idea? - at least I won't have to go through any of the cleaning steps!

They are going to pour it at a slight slope, so the rain will have somewhere to go. Would this work outside, or is there something better out?

Glenn

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Wall to wall carpet here. I use it as a bike shop. Maybe I should hang a PJ and a roll-down screen for impromptu HT.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I'm have an outside concrete deck being poured next week. It's about 560 sq ft. Would this be a good idea?
Probably not since this stuff can be slippery when wet. Swing by your local warehouse home-improvement center and you'll find plenty of sealants for newly poured concrete.

Make sure you read the instructions on how long the slab should cure before applying.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
What about the granules? Maybe they could even be sprinkled on the sealant when it dries?

I'm not planning on being outside when it rains, but you never know.

Glenn

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I used the same epoxy on my garage floor, which was very smooth and where the epoxy dried to a slick, slippery-when-wet surface, and on my patio, which was a rougher textured concrete and where it dried to a finish that didn't become slippery when wet. So I'd say the surface texture of the underlying material is the main thing. But also I believe you could blend in sand or other "grit" to the epoxy paint before applying it for the use you're contemplating.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks