What's new

have you painted your garage floor? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what kind of paint it was, but my dad painted out old garage floor. One day, the basement flooded (and got into the garage). The sitting water made the paint bubble and start to peel.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Philip - thanks for the info. I didn't know about the larger kit and I'm glad to know I can reasonably skip the acid/etch process.

Jack - I'd seen your pictures previously, which further piqued my interest.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
thanks jack, but this thread was started 11/5/2003 I've since painted that floor and lived there awhile and moved out ;)
Hence the storage, the shelving in my last garage was inadequate and I'm still not sure what I'll do, the stuff you used is nice but awfully expensive for the amounts I'll need.

Philip - thanks for the info. I didn't know about the larger kit and I'm glad to know I can reasonably skip the acid/etch process.
So far so good, I've installed a garage door opener and painted and dragged the ladder around the garage without any marks and it's not even been 7 days, really pleased with it, and skipping the etch/primer really saves time. I put 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of the behr stuff on the old place and it was still pretty soft, we'll see how this holds up to dragging engines and transmissions across it ;)

Oh, one other option, HD has a service that does this stuff, they have multi stage stuff that looks nice. Don't know what they charge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good to know. Did you use the sprinkles? Do they look good? If not, how slick is the floor without them?

The local stores don't carry the two-garage kit, so I'll either buy two single-car kits or check online.

At the same time, I'm wondering about this whole home-ownership business -- I could wasting this money on electronic toys instead of paint for concrete floors :crazy:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
yep, used the sprinkles and think they look good.
The behr stuff at the old house I didn't use any texture and when it's wet it is like stepping on a skating rink.

Do you have home depot around there? I can't believe they wouldn't have the 2-1/2 car garage kits.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've visited Home Depot and Lowes, checked the Rustoleum website, and Googled and Froogled and can't find any hint of the two-car garage kit. I think you dreamt the whole thing. You'll wake tomorrow and find your garage floor is still dusty gray. :)

The best price is at the local Lowes, at $57 for a one-car kit. Froogle gives prices $65+ by mail order. And Home Depot's website is useless for searching.

My garage is 528 sq-ft, so I should get 3 kits but hope that two will cover it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
a 2-1/2 car kit will more than do it. Tell you what, I'll go to home depot and I'll take a pic of the UPC at HD, they should be able to pull it up for you at the customer service desk and tell you if they can get it for you.

my garage is 22'x22' roughly 428 sqft and 1-1/2 gallons did me fine. I'd imagine two would do you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No need to go out of your way, but if you are passing through HD, the UPC number would be helpful.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
psh, IF I'm passing through, puleeze. I just closed on a house last wednesday, I practically live at home depot.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
psh, IF I'm passing through, puleeze. I just closed on a house last wednesday, I practically live at home depot.
LOL, just reading this thread for no reason and saw this. My wife and I are moving into our second new house on June 21st and when we moved into our last new house, one of our credit cards got a security "hold" placed on it because we were hitting home depot like 3 times a day for two weeks. I guess they dont look back and see if there is a Uhaul charge on there as well.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
store you go most of your life when:

single = malls
married with children = Toys r us
when have a house = Home depot

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the odd thing is how expensive some stuff is at home depot. I need to go to walmart more often and HD less.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The year after I bought my house I tried to deduct Home Depot as a dependent on my taxes. ;) And the most welcome house-warming gift I received was an HD gift card.

Regards,

Joe

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've spent more time at Sears so far -- appliances and tools. Then the hardware stores. Mostly Lowes, since it's next to BestBuy. :)

I need to start calling about A/C now and getting a lawn hydro-seeded. (sigh) So much money to spend.

But, if it's decent this weekend, hopefully I'll paint my garage floor. Possibly with this fictional two-car kit Philip dreams about, while sleeping in his summer home, HD. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
eh, it's not my money she made, took it from the builder so that's A-OK with me. She's helped me a bunch with renting out my townhouse as well.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
believe it or not I've not been to HD all week! I'm starting to convulse and plan to drop by tomorrow, if it's not too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks