Have you heard of this Sound Meter?????

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GrahamJW, Sep 23, 2003.

1. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

Hi:

I noticed in the local classifieds that there is a Model 215 Sound Level Meter made by Quest Electronics for sale (no price listed). Is this a good sound meter for calibrating a home theatre setup? I know that everyone talks about the Radio Shack sound meter in the forum. How does the Quest compare to the RS one? If it is good quality, than I may give the number a call.

Cheers..John

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You should at least call and ask, it's probably gonna be a few hundred $$, but who knows, if it's like $30, it looks like a pro unit.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I don't think the Model 215 is made anymore. Make sure it has at least a C-Weighted scale; the current Model 210 is only A-Weighted and essentially useless for HT calibration and FR sweeps.

In fact, if you are going to buy a prograde sound meter, buy one that has a Z-Weighted scale. Z-Weighted is essentially an unweighted (i.e., flat) response down to about 10 Hz - much easier for doing sub sweeps without correction factors (WYSIWYG).

Regards,

Ed

5. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Edward,

Could you recommend a sound pressure level meter with Z-weighting? I tried searching on Google but was unsuccessful. Thanks.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

http://www.norsonic.com/

I use B&K, not sure if they make a Z-weighted or equivalent meter. Some meters have built in RTA's, software programs, PC interface, etc. The sky is the limit.

http://www.bksv.com

Honestly, the RS meter on C-weighted with correction factors is fine for casual HT use and calibration. And it's dirt cheap.

Ed

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Keep in mind - you get higher accuracy with a pro SPL meter. This means you are more likely to be able to measure 72.1234 db as compared to a standards lab.

The Radio Shack unit is much-much less accurate, but you DONT need the accuracy.

When you use an SPL meter to adjust your speakers, you are less interested in the actual SPL number. You are really trying to find if each speaker produces the same volume. And while the Shack unit is less accurate, it has the same flaw for every speaker. So it does do a great job of showing you if a speaker is high/low compared to another.

At $500 starting bid for that SPL meter - I'd sock away the extra $460 towards DVD's or a SVS subwoofer.