Have you heard of the "Fightin' Whities?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Loughridge, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

One story is here:
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020313-89129160.htm
    It's a college intramural basketball team. An excerpt from the article:
    "The team's players, who include American Indian, Hispanic and even Caucasian students, wear white T-shirts emblazoned with a drawing of a not very fearsome-looking Ozzie Nelson-era man in a suit and tie, obviously looking for his briefcase with a white-bread sandwich inside. In the caption he declares: "Every thang's gonna be all white!""
    This is great, and I'm not the least bit offended. Sports are supposed to be fun. I have to get one of their T-Shirts.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I heard about this on NPR the other day, and then later on "The tonight show". It's pretty funny (the T-shirt sounds great too), but I'm afraid it's not very derogatory. I wouldn't be surprised if KKK-supporters are very happy about this.

/Mike

3. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

I hadn't thought about the KKK angle. True, an element will always surface to twist something.

I've just never been bothered by words like that, as long as they are used without malice. I don't think Braves, Redskins, Indians, or any other team name is used or intended in a derogatory way. They could have teams called the Whities, Crackers, whatever. What really matters is can they win?

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I agree with you, I don't see them as derogatory either. I have however found them a bit odd, why would a bunch of black and white guys call themselves the Redskins? [​IMG]
    So in that respect, it's fitting that a team with mostly Native American and other minority players call themselves the fightin' whities. [​IMG]
    /Mike

5. Jamie E

Jamie E Stunt Coordinator

I have no problem with this, and it's quite humorous. It's always been interesting to me how people can get so worked up over "Braves" or "Indians", but there's no corresponding outrage over the Minnesota Vikings. I happen to be 1/4 Danish, but I certainly don't think my heritage is being smeared by a sports team name!

With that said, I can understand why the team name "Redskins" would be problematic. Maybe to make a better point, the intramural team should have been named the "Palefaces."

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Of course, the whole thing is a parody on the unspoken and perceived racism inherent in the nicknames of some sports franchises. I don't have to be Native American to be offended by a moniker such as "Redskins."

This sort of parody throws a spotlight on all that, thus raising the general awareness and sensitivity levels.

Just a cautionary note, however: Let's keep the tone of this thread pretty much as it is now. I know you guys know that, but this is one of those borderline topics that can go overboard very quickly.

7. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

8. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Not sure if they are making the point that they wanted to. I don't think many people are offended by the 'fighting whities.'

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

What's next? The Yellow Fellows? [​IMG]

10. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

11. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

This is really funny. The morons were trying to offend the majority by using this name but it backfired on them.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave

13. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This parody has hit close to home here at the University of Illinois. Our nickname is The Fighting Illini. Many Native Americans and their sympathizers have been trying very hard to change the name.

14. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Since this all happened just up the road from me, it was given way too much coverage in the local media. The general consensus on the AM radio call-in show was that nobody was particularly offended by the whole thing. The only real point of controversy was that the shirts actually read "Fightin' Whites" - but the "spokesman" for the team and the various news reports referred to the team as the "Fightin' Whities". There was some concern that the word "whitie" is intended to be derogatory while "white" is simply a generic reference to an ethnicity. Mostly, folks thought it was pretty funny... which was probably not the original intention.

Brad

15. John Bonar

John Bonar Extra

While it is amusing, I think it more emphasizes the ridiculous nature of the PC movement. This isn't the slightest bit offensive. Even if it were, I wouldn't care. Freedom of speech/freedom of thought are good things. I don't think anyone can reasonably make the argument that names like the Fighting Illini, FSU Seminoles, or Atlanta Braves were created with the intention being deragatory. What I am learning from the PC pundits is that anything can be offensive. A thread in the TV section referenced an article bashing the new Star Trek Series for being offensive. I think it would be far more healthy if as a society we decided to stop being offended.

16. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    A local radio station I listen to every morning picked up on this a few days ago. One of the DJs called the team to see about ordering a t-shirt. He was told they were swamped with inquiries from all over the country. Which doesn't surprise me one bit.
    Hopefully these guys on the team will seize the opportunity and make some money off of this. I'd buy a shirt!! [​IMG]

17. Michael St. Clair

I'd love a Fightin' Whities shirt!

Somebody needs to start a franchise called the Honkies. I'd be all over that!

I'm not offended in the least, I think it's great. If they were trying to make a point, I think they blew it.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

19. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

20. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor