What's new

Have you heard of "Silver Dream Racer? I just sent for it R2 (1 Viewer)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I am buying it new from amazon.com.uk this will be a Region 2 (PAL~Phase Alternate Line). I am upgrading my John Carpenter "The Thing" and "The Towering Inferno" they are the same as USA but my player extends the pic vertically having stretched to anaomorphic size altough not a true anamorphic. The process is called x,y, scaling it only works on PAL or SECAM, 'not' on NTSC. Higher but black bars are seen for a inserted wide screen in the 16 X 9 envelope of a HDTV.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Vaguely. My father was in the movie business and went to Cannes a few times, and for one year (either 1979 or 1980) he came back with a small duffel bag (door gift? souvenir?) with a Cannes logo and a few movie titles, including said "Silver Dream Racer". I didn't see the movie itself until many years later, on TV. IIRC,
struggling racer, manages to win some big race on some super bike, but at the very end after winning the race, he dies in a crash when said super bike runs off the track into something.

Hey, I did say "vaguely"...

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Yee that's correct but the studios took out the true ending, stopped the film with hands up and rolled the credits. The Carleton DVD will be 111 minutes instead of 107 on the VHS video.

They did the same thing to Peter Coyotes character at the end of "Timerider", interesting how they can show it all in some films; but decide it would not be a good ending and cut it out for future DVD viewers.

Along with "Silver Dream Racer" I am buying "The Towering Inferno", "The Green Berets, JC "The Thing". 2.35:1 LBX but my all region x, y scaling(only PAL or SECAM 'not' NTSC) raises the height of the pic. Black bars are seen but still wide screen, on pre-order "The Wild Geese". All PAL format which my player has a converter built in to accommodate different current then what's on the 'grid' in the USA.

Playback is seen on my 39" diaginol w/s line doubled HDTV, sound(if Dolby Surround) is heard thru a DSP_PRO virtualizer from Sennheiser. 2.0 up-converted to 4.0 Pro Logic, if monaural it's heard as monaural no fix to simulate stereo can be used. I use Fostex T40 Studio Quality closed headphones for the Helmut Haas "haas" effect. Headphones seen in "The Beach Boys:Nashville Sounds" 1998, Lorrie Morgan is using the old T20 Fostex while singing "Don't Worry Baby".

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Aargh! Silver Dream Racer; Chirpy Cock-er-ney David Essex plays a sub-Barry Sheene 'bike rider in a godawful slice of 1980s tripe - well, that's how I remember it...

---
So many films, so little time...

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
You have your dreams and I have mine, although I will never ride a cycle again, I can feel some common ground with this constant looser; to get his dream come true. A wife, his mechanic and a verry proud father. Becoming famous as he drove off into the sunset with his arms outstretched. Thinking how proud his father, girlfriend and mechanic had become. Using the 1 up Silver lightweight bike and his getting to the red line and ahead, to avoid trouble and still get the admiration of cyclists in front of him, including the factory team that Beau Bridges road for with all the mechanics and money. I will be happy to own the DVD and enjoy it over and over again, right thru my disabled life with a smile! :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
God forbid that I tread on anyone's dreams. I was stepping out with a motorcycle mad female at the time - it just drags up some bad memories! :D

---
So many films, so little time...

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
John for those monday morning blues where most of the people have gone to work and I am still sitting here typing like any other day, reading your response cheered me up. Soon on June the 9th it will be 19 years since my career ending road accident, also the 'last' day I have 'worked' in soon to be 19 Years! I am human and I do feel that I am not contributing to society, only by buying products do I feel I have giving society its do.:)

John it only takes less than a second but you have to live with it the rest of your life, like actor christopher Reeves
who jumping his horse fell and became a paraplegic(from the neck down). Watching "Silver Dream Racer' will have that effect also, to know what you accomplished 2 months before you became disabled.

O/T The Switch back was gravity railroad(precursor to the Roller Coaster ride)was first pulled up Mt. Pisgah then gravity speeded it up for its 9 miles trip to Summit Hill Coal mines, then the loaded cars were pulled up Mt. Jefferson and switched back to go 9 miles back to the point of origin. Sleuce boxes would then measure the coal, then put on boats and mules pulled them down towards Philadelphia to fuel the 19th Century Industrial Revolution.

I with a motorcycle took the entire same route using the hill climber to go up the two mountains a full 18 miles of all kind of of obstacles on one tank of gas to fulfill my life long dream.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
E-Mail from amazon.com.uk that "Silver Dream Racer' and "The Towering Inferno" DVD is on it's way to me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks