What's new

Have you had your Green Tea today? (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Hi everyone!

I've been doing some research on the healing properties and wellness qualities of Green Tea in the last 6 months.

I wanted to start a thread and get a feel for how many of you drink Green Tea on a daily basis and how many of you know all of the good things that it does for our bodies.

For starters: 1)It is loaded with antioxidants & polyphenols that can keep our cells healthy, which in turn keeps us from getting sick. 2)It is believed that it prevents cancer. 3)It can act as weight loss vehicle by curbing your appetite. 4)It has been shown in studies to boost memory functions.

The Asians have been drinking Green Tea for thousands of years. I read a quote recently from ancient Asian history that says. "I would rather go three days without food than a single day without green tea."

Currently, I drink 4-5 cups of green tea a day. I usually go through a whole box of green tea once a week and a jar of honey every two weeks. I've only been drinking the wonderful concoction for 6 months but I've not been sick (knock wood) since I've been drinking it. (I haven't gotten any of the colds or flu-bugs that have been going around this winter.)

I read somewhere that some Asians drink 10-12 cups a day and can live into their 80-90's without disease or health complications.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Be carefull. That much a day for an extended period of time can cause kidney stones. Not fun.

C. Ryan

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Is it the tea or the honey that causes the k-stones?

Also, I drink cranberry juice every morning with my breakfast. I drink the stuff more than any other juice: orange, apple, tomato. In fact it's the only juice that I drink right now.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It sounds nice, but some of the described beliefs in its benefits don't sound like they're based on any controlled scientific studies. Anecdotal evidence doesn't suffice.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I tried drinking Green tea (and White tea) because they are high in antioxidants, but they taste like brewed grass.

I've switched to Red tea and love it.

Red Tea (rooibos, from South Africa) is said to have 50% MORE anitoxidants than green tea, but without the caffeine and it hase a smooth and sweet aftertaste, unlike Green tea. Give it a try.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/14/1671_52295.htm

CRyan

Screenwriter
It is the tea itself that can cause those problems. But, as with everything else, moderation is the key.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I'll drink green tea once in a blue moon, but I stick with my favorite, Ginger Aid by traditional Medicinal. Not only does it calm a tummy ache, but it helps my joints and aches when the cold/wet weather pains set in.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ive tried Rooibos tea before... its nice, its different tasting, very smooth...

You should try using Rooibos tea to mix with Concentrated Orange Juice, its REALLY good and refreshing during the summer...

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I switched from Green Tea to Pomegranate juice. Triple the antioxidents of Green Tea, and pretty damn tasty too.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Thanks for the interesting responses everyone...

What are your thoughts on decaffeinated teas?

I think some people have hesitations about drinking it because of the process used to make it caffeine free. What do you think?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If you are concerned about the process to make tea caffeine free, check out the Red Tea (Rooibos) I mentioned above.

It is naturally caffeine free.

Yousaf

Second Unit

Pomegranate juice gave my roommate the worst gas EVER. And I had to deal with it because that was movie night. Since then, I have forbidden him from drinking pomegranate juice if he's going to be in the apartment at any time during the 4 hours that follow.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

It's becoming increasingly popular in the UK because of the popularity of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books (or have these not been a hit in the USA?). The heroine of the books seems to exist on red bush tea.

I like it, but I think it's best when it's cooled to lukewarm.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I drink green tea occasionally. When I do I prefer Good Earth's g.t. blend with lemongrass.

I much prefer black tea however ... though not as rich in antioxidants it still has them, and I find it much more palatable. I like a fine imported loose Assam tea by Jackson's in the morning, but I'll drink decaf. in the afternoon and evening (Twinings or whatever). My favorite was anything by Fortnum and Mason, but my local shop no longer carries it, and shipping from the U.K. is just too much.

>"I think some people have hesitations about drinking it because of the process used to make it caffeine free. What do you think?"

No problem whatsoever drinking decaf. There are two processes: the highly "industrialized" one uses chlorine to decaffeinate, which I try to avoid. A more natural "swiss water process" decaffeinates by simply running water over the leaves. What can be bad about that?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I once existed on red bush but did not like it cooled.
A 9-year study involving 26,000 Japanese men & women found no correlation between incidence of stomach cancer and the amount they drank. Tsubono Y et ak. Green tea and the risk of gastric cancer in Japan. New England Journal of Medicine 344:632-626, 2001. In the same volume, Sano & Sasako discussed why earlier data suggesting that green tea may be beneficial might be in error.

Other studies have indicated that green teas may have high levels of fluoride which if true and sufficient quantities were consumed, could conceivably lead to bone problems. Might want to ask whomever you're buying it from what the fluoride levels are if that's a concern.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I'm not a huge tea drinker, but I do enjoy Uncle Lee's Organic Chai Green Tea with Lemon. It's pretty tasty.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

There has been no scientifically proven correlation between Pomegranate juice and rampant, excessive farting. That's just a rumor...And I don't care what you, Miss Manners, or my wife say! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks