What's new

Have you ever tried a phone # that was mentioned on a movie? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Have you?
Mind you, not all of them are 555 #'s.
I've wanted to a couple times but have never done it.
Have any of you guys/gals?
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

Michael Silla

Second Unit
555-5555?. I wonder if this number actually exists. I vaguely remember seeing it on TV. Or was that a movie.....
Michael.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That's why they are 555. Ma Bell said it wouldn't use them.
Earlier, some number in a movie (or two) was tried out in real life, and the receivers didn't like it.
Glenn

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
ANY phone number that begins with 555 prefix will give you either information, or nothing, I believe. And only older films used "real" numbers - which by now are no doubt defunct, too.

Ash Williams

Second Unit
In one of my all time favorite films,Magnolia,there are a couple of real life numbers.
From IMDB:
  • The telephone number (877) TAME-HER is shown on the "Seduce and Destroy" infomercials within the movie. Dialing this number gives a recording of Tom Cruise giving the Seduce and Destroy pitch.
  • The phone number that Phil (mis)dials looking for Frank, (818)775-3993, is later revealed to be the number to Linda's pharmacy (printed on the prescription bag).
I have never dialed ether one.
[Edited last by Ash Williams on October 28, 2001 at 01:05 AM]

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
You sissies! (just kidding)
I dialed the numbers from Magnolia. I haven't done it since early 2000 however. The "tame her" number basically played an excerpt of the Frank TJ Mackey infomercial, but the "Linda's Pharmacy" number was a voice mailbox. The message had a female voice saying "Please leave a message at the tone." Some have thought this voice might be Fiona Apple.
There was another (818) phone number in the film, which I never did call. I gave it to my friend Steve in Long Beach, but I don't know if he tried it. I don't know where I wrote that down, however.
I recall reading somewhere that the producers of Magnolia had to purchase those phone numbers in order to use them in the film.
I also recall seeing another movie since Magnolia with a real honest-to-God phone number in it. I don't remember what it was though... sorry.
And the makers of Ghost World wanted to put a real phone number in. They felt that having someone use a 555 number would be something Enid would completely pick up and point out as fake, but they were told there was no way to use a real number.
= Derek =
[Edited last by Derek Miner on October 28, 2001 at 08:59 PM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
No, but in the 80's I tried to dial 867-5309 as sung by the J.Geils band. :)
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
In Revenge of the Nerds, a phone number was removed in the DVD version because the holder of the number kept getting crank calls. I remember there was a stink awhile back about it being removed, but I understand why it happened.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
867-5309 at one time was a working phone number at Kennedy Space Center. It'd be interesting to know if it still is.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing a "Behind the Music" on VH1 about 867-5309. They said that when the song first came out, people were dialing that number in all area codes and many individuals (who owned them) were pretty upset. One went so far as to publicly advertise Tommy Tutone's phone number in revenge. :)
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
The "555" phony prefix has been used for quite some time now, so I was rather suprised when a couple years ago, Gateway 2000 announced one of their new 800 numbers and it had a 555 prefix.
------------------

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I've never even considered calling a phone number from a movie or song. When I was younger, one of my friends memorized the phone number for Ghostbusters after watching the movie, "just in case we ever need to call it." Even then, I thought he was an idiot. Why would you do something like that? It's just a movie. The number is fake. Ghostbusters do not really exist. Either you're going to get "doo doo DOO! We're sorry. Your call cannot be completed as dialed", or you're going to get some person who is very pissed off from all of the idiots bothering him.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap has a phone number in a verse.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Sneakers had a "real" phone number in the movie, with a dummy answering machine set up by the film company to go along with it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The truck in "The Arrival" that pulls up with the guy who puts that magic ball thing in the house had a real number on it- I called it and I got a woman who said her husband worked on the movie and asked me "So are there a lot of people who go calling numbers they see in movies?"
"What Planet Are You From" has the real number for the real estate agency in Arizona shown in the movie. I've seen several real "For Rent" signs in movies with phone numbers that I've been tempted to call. One of these days I'm gonna call the number in "Revenge of the Nerds" and thank the person on the other end for ruining the DVD!!
frown.gif

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of a really funny idea, I think. Have a studio get a phone number/line and save it for a movie. Announce it in a way that you'd really be curious enough to call it, but when you do you get a recording. "Thank you. Your account has just been charge twenty dollars. This amount will be charged again in ten seconds. Nine,"
Glenn

Joe Rigali

Agent
According to imdb
In the middle of the film's initial release, to keep interest going, Ivan Reitman had a trailer run, which was basically the commercial the Ghostbusters' use in the movie, but with the 555 number replaced with a 1-800 number, allowing people to call. They got a recorded message of Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd saying something to the effect of "Hi. We're out catching ghosts right now." They got 1,000 calls per hour, 24 hours a day, for six weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks