What's new

Have you ever returned or exchanged a disk? (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just a question.

Quite often I'll see a problem on a disk, a moment of digitization, or audio dropout, or something like that, and I always wonder whether it is endemic to this particular movie on DVD (and everyone else will experience the same problem) or whether it is a quality control issue, only existing on this one disk, the one that I bought.

And then I wonder what to do.

An example: the Moulin Rouge DVD I bought didn't contain disk 2, the features disk. Tower Records wouldn't exchange it for a new one, saying that I had to write to the company (why should they trust me, anyway?) Writing to the company, packaging up the DVD and sending it out seems pretty expensive and risky to me.

Another example: there are some digitization problems on my disk of The Women. Other don't see the same things I see, blocky problems. What do I do about this?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The first thing is try the DVD on other players. Does it work? If so, you may need to think about getting a higher end player. Those $70 players are no bargains.. Maybe it is just an early player? I had a first gen Toshiba that just would not play rental discs all the way through. But using a newer unit, they all play fine.

Tower should have exchanged the disc if you returned it within 14 days.

Margo

Agent
If I were you, I'd buy my DVDs someplace that does exchanges without question. I usually don't get that worked up about a little pixilation unless I really love the movie and I hear that no one else is having the problem. Then I would return it. I stopped buying DVDs at my local Circuit City because they have a DVD player set up there and if the disc plays fine on their player then it's not a disc that they will accept returns on. (This means that discs that have player specific problems are not returnable.) I now buy my DVDs from DVDEmpire and the only return I've made in the past couple of years was my 3rd season of the Sopranos because disc one had some bad scratching on it when I opened it. The replacement also had some scratches on disc one but it played okay. They didn't question me at all about the condition of the disc -- they just sent out a replacement.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I use the Panasonic RP-91, an expert player.

I didn't open the Moulin Rouge disk until the 2-week period was over. This was the main reason Tower wouldn't exchange it.

I guess I'm mostly interested in knowing when the disks problems are poor transfers, and when the problems are simply duplication errors.

Another disk that has a difficult spot -- The Wizard of Oz, right at the end during Dorothy's tearful goodbyes. The picture gets blocky, the sound drops out, every time I play it. I can see no scratches. Others have not reported this problem. The disk is now several years old. Perhaps I just replace it? Or live with it?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It looks like I'll have to try to return a DVD to Columbia House DVD club. Man, I'm sure that's gonna be fun.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I'm considering exchanging Beauty and the Beast, because I'm seeing some horrible artifacts, but then again it seems like ALOT of others are experiencing the same problem, but others are not. I'm wondering if getting another disc will yield the same results.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
On the very few occasions I've had to return a disc, DVD Empire has given me nothing but first-rate service, regardless of how long I've had the disc. Just keep the invoice. Tower should have refunded your money or exchanged the disc. It's that old adage about the customer always being right. In return, refuse to patronize Tower any longer, while sending an e-mail to the corporate headquarters explaining why.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, the one time I've had to return something to Columbia House it was an absolute breeze. They send a package with a return sticker with shipping already paid for, and I had the new disc in less than a week.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks