1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever lost a shipment from an online merchant?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Cunningham, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

I have a shipment from an online merchant shipment that's overdue. It was shipped via USPS and was not insured. My gut tells me it's lost.
    Has this ever happened to you? My merchant claims the USPS only loses or damages .01% of their shipments.
    Do you ever pay extra for the insured shipping?
    This is one aspect of buying DVDs online that I had not seriously considered. [​IMG]

2. Craig Cunningham

Ouch! This is my merchant's response to my inquiry about the lost shipment.

3. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

.01% is a lot when you consider the sheer volume of mail that is passed through the USPS in one day. A while back my company had a training thing on quality and how 99.99% wasn't good enough it had to be 100% blah, blah, blah and it was amazing the stats they had to back it up. Oh and sorry about the package.[​IMG]
    m-mmeyer

4. Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H Stunt Coordinator

Steven
    Never lost any incoming packages, but I have had them take extremely long to arrive. USPS may have unique paths for certain types of mail. Hopefully your package gets found, good luck.

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, I have lost a couple of shipments. One was an order with 12 discs (my first order with a favorite vendor of HTF) sent from the US, which never made the Canadian border. The company reshipped after 4 months, but won't let me order from them now.

Another arrived with the padded envelope empty. I tracked down where the discs got lost, but never recovered them.

I have had packages unduly delayed in customs.

6. Keith Helms

Keith Helms Stunt Coordinator

After buying online for 3 years, I just lost an order for the first time. I ordered The History of Beavis and Butthead from half.com, who I've never dealt with before. It "supposedly" shipped out late in September, but has never arrived. Since I've never used these guys before and the disc in question was in short supply due to the recall, I have some doubt about whether they actually shipped it or not.

7. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Nope... well one DVD of the 800.com 3 DVDs for $1 deal never showed up, but I do wonder if it was really mailed :)

8. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

9. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Craig:

I've had several shipments 'lost', although I'm pretty sure that they were stolen once they were dropped off. I've had to resort to shipping orders to my workplace (when they don't have draconian rules about requiring your order to go to the billing address), where I've never lost a package.

John.

10. LisaH

LisaH Stunt Coordinator

I have only had one shipment lost, but I too think it was stolen from my box or put in the wrong box, which unfortunately seems to happen quite a lot in my area. It was shipped from Amazon and they replaced it after waiting the max shipment date (15 days I think) with no hassle at all.
    Since then I also have them come to my workplace and have not missed one.

11. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

12. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

many, many, many, times. i've lost count now. however, the retailer has always sent a replacement ... although i've had instanecs where the replacement never showed up, so i just cut my losses and ordered elsewhere [​IMG]
    it's a worrying issue though. anybody could help themselves to these things. whether it be the employees of the retailer or someone working for the courier. there's no way of tracking it. i'm surprised more don't disappear.

13. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I guess I'm lucky, in the many years I've been collecting (starting in the days of 8mm film) and the hundreds, if not thousands, of orders I've received, I've never had the post office lose one. I had one vhs tape mangled, one time, but the shipper replaced it, as I was a good customer. I know, having said that, they'll probably lose my next six shipments. Unless it's an exceptionally expensive order, I won't insure it. I consider this "self-insuring" and even if I do lose something, over the years I've saved the cost several times over.

14. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

I have an incoming package that is lost right now. Previously, I've never had a Priority Mail package take longer than 3 days to get to me. But my E.T. Ultimate Gift Set that I ordered online was mailed on 10/19. That's a week and it's still not here.

(Yes, it got shipped. The tracking number I got from the merchant shows that the package has stalled in another city.)

USPS looked into it and said it should eventually get here.

Mark

15. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

A little perspective from "the other side of the package":
    I use both UPS and USPS Priority Mail to ship. I have shipped over 150 packages via USPS Priority Mail without loss! That is an incredible record. So many times, I think you need to look to the vendor for mistakes, rather than the Post Office. They do an excellent job. Sure, they make mistakes, but they don't make many. They really don't. I receive all my credit card statements, and other bills every month, they never miss with first class hardly! LOL.

I do send priority, and I do insure though. Parcel Post is the non-priority way, and usually only saves you like 50 cents or less and REALLY slows stuff down. Hardly worth it. Insurance is always a good idea if there's value associated with the parcel.

With USPS, I consistently get 3 day delivery from east coast to west coast, and 2 days many places.

UPS does a good job too, but seem to be a bit harder on packages. You better pack good and tape well!

Regarding across the border shipping to Canada, Customs is the biggest problem, and where most delays occur in international air mail on the Canada side.

I shipped to Singapore once, took dang near a month to get there, but it finally did get there.

Lex

16. Craig Cunningham

My shipment arrived late Friday afternoon! [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the replies. Have a great weekend.

17. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Glad it showed up. Before this dies, I wanted to add something.

Some members have 'lost' packages, and some online retailers will not replace then with ordinary mail, so...

I made a 'box' up out of 2 x 4's and plywood. It is big enough to hold the 14" x 17' priority mail packages thaat DVD Empire ships with more than 4 DVD's in one shipment.

The 2 x 4's are on three sides, and the plywood on the front and back. The top is open and I put this behind my mailbox. If a package does show up, the mail people slide it down and it virtually disappears from sight, so anyone walking by cannot see it.

Glenn

18. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Not a bad idea Glenn. I have all of my stuff shipped to my office so I don't have to worry about stuff sitting outside all day.

19. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I have ordered most of my DVDs on the internet but only remember three DVDs ever being lost out of hundreds. All stores involved were quick to send replacement DVDs when it looked like the shipment was lost.