What's new

Have you ever gone to the A/V store and saw major burn in problems on the display set (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I was at my local sears yesterday looking at TV's and saw the panasonic 47" WS set that everyone loves here and I guess someone played a 4/3 source on it way too much/long because the unit was playing an HD 16x9 signal yesterday and the sides where the black bars would be on 4x3 material were darker and much more red than the rest of the picture. I have seen the effects of burn in on-line in pictures and have heard so much about it but have never seen it on an actual set before. How do stores expect to sell TV sets when the display's look like that?
Just thought I'd share.

Butch C

Second Unit
Theres a Wiz by my job where no matter what there playing on it , the top of the screen has THE MATRIX written across. Pretty funny, especially for the nut who buys the floor model.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
How do stores expect to sell TV sets when the display's look like that?
Most patrons at that store won't even notice the burn in. And most patrons are used to blue-tinted television images running fullbore in torch mode. That's the way the TVs will continue to look when those people fire 'em up at home.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
This set was bad, I don't know how anyone could miss it looking at that set, even the average guy would notice it.

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeff,

I saw a couple at a high-end a/v store. Very noticeable. Makes one cringe looking at it.

r,
Errol

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Many people that end up buying a floor demo unit, will do so based on price alone and wont even look at it displaying an image in the store before they buy.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
My local Sears had a Sony 53" HD that had been running an "Alabama" concert DVD for quite some time with a Denon HTB. Needless to say, when they finally changed DVD material there is still a BIG Alabama logo across the top of the screen...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
So, I just bought a Toshiba 36hfx71
(my first projection HD-ready television)
and now I am worried about preventing burn in.

First of all, when watching 1.85:1 films, the television
has a mode where it fills the "black bars" so they become
grey, preventing (or slowing) burn in.

But when I watch 2.35:1 films, I am worried about that
second, smaller, set of black bars that occur between
the grey bars and the film itself.

Any thoughts, advice, or help?

Mark

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
At one of the local Circuit City's they have the Panasonic 47" widescreen on display, and it was hooked up to a Sony DVD player ... welllll, you can see displayed VERY prominently on the screen a nice "picture" of the Sony 'screensaver' burned in to it.
Oh yeah- I even pointed it out(very nicely) to the salesman, who told me that, yes, he noticed it and he'd pull that model and replace the display. That was 3 MONTHS AGO :frowning: :thumbsdown: and it was still there last week.
Oh, well ...

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
It seem that many seller don't even bother what their TV look like. Yesterday at my local wal-mart they were proud to show off their really big brand new widecreen samsung, So what better to show then the new harry-Potter. Unfortunately it seem that nobody on the floor was aware that they should settle the 16:9 mode on the dvd player. The result was a whidescreen tv. With big black bars top and bottom and an harrry potter with full of chubby character. It sure won't help sell widecreen tv!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks