Have you ever gone to the A/V store and saw major burn in problems on the display set

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, May 28, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I was at my local sears yesterday looking at TV's and saw the panasonic 47" WS set that everyone loves here and I guess someone played a 4/3 source on it way too much/long because the unit was playing an HD 16x9 signal yesterday and the sides where the black bars would be on 4x3 material were darker and much more red than the rest of the picture. I have seen the effects of burn in on-line in pictures and have heard so much about it but have never seen it on an actual set before. How do stores expect to sell TV sets when the display's look like that?
    Just thought I'd share.

2. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Theres a Wiz by my job where no matter what there playing on it , the top of the screen has THE MATRIX written across. Pretty funny, especially for the nut who buys the floor model.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    This set was bad, I don't know how anyone could miss it looking at that set, even the average guy would notice it.

5. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jeff,

I saw a couple at a high-end a/v store. Very noticeable. Makes one cringe looking at it.

r,
    Errol

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Many people that end up buying a floor demo unit, will do so based on price alone and wont even look at it displaying an image in the store before they buy.

7. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Yes, I see it all the time. The Fox news channel logo as well as DVD menu items are both very popular "burn ins".

Rich B.

8. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

My local Sears had a Sony 53" HD that had been running an "Alabama" concert DVD for quite some time with a Denon HTB. Needless to say, when they finally changed DVD material there is still a BIG Alabama logo across the top of the screen...

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

So, I just bought a Toshiba 36hfx71
    (my first projection HD-ready television)
    and now I am worried about preventing burn in.

First of all, when watching 1.85:1 films, the television
    has a mode where it fills the "black bars" so they become
    grey, preventing (or slowing) burn in.

But when I watch 2.35:1 films, I am worried about that
    second, smaller, set of black bars that occur between
    the grey bars and the film itself.

Any thoughts, advice, or help?

Mark

10. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

At one of the local Circuit City's they have the Panasonic 47" widescreen on display, and it was hooked up to a Sony DVD player ... welllll, you can see displayed VERY prominently on the screen a nice "picture" of the Sony 'screensaver' burned in to it.
    Oh yeah- I even pointed it out(very nicely) to the salesman, who told me that, yes, he noticed it and he'd pull that model and replace the display. That was 3 MONTHS AGO [​IMG] [​IMG] and it was still there last week.
    Oh, well ...

11. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand Stunt Coordinator

It seem that many seller don't even bother what their TV look like. Yesterday at my local wal-mart they were proud to show off their really big brand new widecreen samsung, So what better to show then the new harry-Potter. Unfortunately it seem that nobody on the floor was aware that they should settle the 16:9 mode on the dvd player. The result was a whidescreen tv. With big black bars top and bottom and an harrry potter with full of chubby character. It sure won't help sell widecreen tv!!!!