Have you ever dreamed a memory?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MickeS, Jan 20, 2006.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have never had a dream that was a memory. But in movies and in TV, this happens all the time.

It's an easy storytelling device, to catch people up on something that happened off-screen to a character in a movie, or in an earlier episode of a series, so I understand why they use it. But it just always rings very false to me.

So I wonder if it was conceived purely as a storytelling device, or if it is actually something that people experience, but that has never happened to me?

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I've had some dreams that sort of mixed my memories with a lot of other "stuff" but never a dream that was a true and accurate memory.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm like Paul.

I have the odd dream where it's pretty much a memory, and just when it's about to get good, I have to do some weird dream logic thing, like empty sugar out of my walkman or untangle a garden hose in the middle of a church.

I actually wake up pissed off sometimes, as many a sex dream has been diverted before the good stuff.[​IMG]

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

This happens to me all the fucking time [​IMG].

--
    H

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I once had a dream where a hamburger was eating ME!!!

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott
    Paging Dr. Freud, white courtesy phone!

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I concur. Sometimes I think I subconsciously stall in my dream for an extra 5 or 10 minutes (or however long it really is) just knowing my alarm is going to go off and not get to the good stuff.

Pisses me off too and never a good way to start the day.

As for a memory dream, I haven't had a true dream thats close to what really happened. However I do have dreams once in a while that place me in years past and with events that have happened. Its just never really that close to what actually happened.

A recurring dream I have (about every 6 months) though is being caught in a tornado but always able to escape into a house basement. Just like what really happened on July 31 1987 when I was 13 and saw the beginning of a tornado (funnel clouds) that went on to being one of the most destructive in Canada's history.

As a matter of fact, when in writing this I just remembered I had one of these dreams either last night or the night before.

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    in soviet russia, hamburger eats you!

sometimes, i will have a dream, and in the dream, i'm SURE i have seen or been to this place before, maybe even a few times. and that is what the dream is about, how oddly familiar this certain place is. the place isnt always the same, either. i think i need to go watch vanilla sky again. TECH SUPPORT!!!

CJ

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Ha.

I ripped-off the hamburger line from Seinfeld. I just always thought it was funny.

I don't think I've ever had a dream that was a direct memory.

I think I have had dreams were I remembered the situation from a previous dream, or was something of a continuation.

My recurring dreams are about zombies. Always with the freaking zombies. I guess they aren't really recurring dreams because they are not the same. It is just that every couple of months or so there is a zombie outbreak in my dreams. So more of a recurring theme.

The most recent one was really wild. The whole world was about to go under like in Dawn of the Dead, but there were still pockets of people that were fighting to stay alive and regrouping in certain areas/cities. Most of the super heros were done. But Spiderman, Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman, and Thor were still around trying help people get to this huge cruise ship and fortify a city.

I think there were evil robots in this one too. This one was really wierd. And I was kinda in it at times, and other times it was more like I was watching it. When I would step in I was kinda able to use some of my Neo/"The One" powers that I can use when part of me is aware that it is a dream.

As a side topic, has anyone ever tried to play with lucid dreaming? It was easier for me to do it when I was younger it seems. In my late teens I read this article about how to try to condition your mind to give you lucid dreams.

The idea was that you condition yourself to "check reality" on a regular basis several times a day. Simple things like just taking a minute every now and then to really look around and ask yourself, "Is this real, or am I dreaming". You would try to remember earlier parts of your day and how one event lead to the next up to where you are now. You would maybe read something. Remember it, and then look at it again and make sure it stays the same, etc.... Kinda silly, but really simple actually taking just a minute or so.

So if you did this on a regular basis for a couple of weeks your mind kinda gets conditioned to do "reality checks" and hopefully some aspect of this actually transfers over into your dreams.

Anyway, I tried it and after about a week I kinda forgot about it and stopped doing it. But then about two weeks after I had originally started I had my first real lucid dream. It was really fun.

One morning I decided that I was going to skip school and sleep in. I told my parents I didn't feel well and went back to bed. You know that awesome relaxing feeling when you do something like this and then get to just melt back into your covers? Anway, then I found myself in school and I had a very "uneasy feeling" that something wasn't right. I was in a class that I had, but it was at the wrong time of day, and other things just seemed "off". Then I asked to go to the lavatory and every time I went to pee I kept tipping over for some wierd reason. The thing that bothered me the most was that I knew I decided to skip school and sleep in, but here I was. Why was I here now?! It just didn't make any sense! Then I actually tried to think back to why I went to school, and there was no memory of the morning, leaving my house, going to school, etc.. I was really confused. And then it just hit me like a ton of bricks, I WAS DREAMING!!!

HOLY CRAP, THIS IS SO FREAKIING WILD!! Just about sums up how I felt at that moment. It was such a wild experience to realize that you are basically in a "virtual reality" inside your mind. Because you still have substance, you can feel things, see things, but none of it is real! I actually spent some time just looking around and marveling that the world in front of me was not real. I would hold my hand up in front of my face and stare at it, rubbing my fingers together (you know, kind like some people do when they first experience getting drunk).

I was really excitted and then wanted to interact with the world. So I told the girl next to me that this was my dream. She wouldn't believe me though and just thought I was screwing around trying to tease her. And I was like, "No, seriously. This is all just my dream. Look I can do whatever I want" And then I showed her by floating up to the ceiling. I then proceeded to "bounce around" the classroom on everyone's heads. It was fun.

Then it seemed that the setting changed and I was at a family member's house. So even though it was a lucid dream, things still "shifted" and changed quickly like typical dreams. I grabbed a ball off of a pool table and thought that it would be cool to crush it with my bare hands. I did and the dust spilled out as I crushed it. Then I think I lost it, or at least started losing the "lucidity".

See, that's the tricky part of having a lucid dream. Even if you achieve it, you aren't guaranteed to "hold onto it" for long. Your mind is just set up to accept the reality of dreams as they are, and the natural tendency for your mind is to slip back into that acceptance.

After that I tried again for a while and had a few more experiences. The second time that I suddenly realized that "this is a dream" I immediately just looked up to the sky and rocketed up like Neo (this was way before the Matrix, mind you). I had fun flying aroud enjoying how cool it was to be like a God in that virtual reality playground. Then the realization suddenly hit me that I should do whatever I wanted to a girl (I was a teen who hadn't yet been with a girl at the time) because it was just a dream. So I changed my course and flew straight at this girl, AND THEN I WOKE UP!

So there were a few more times that I was able to do this. But it seems like the lucidity is typically for a limmited time in the dream and you tend to easily slip back into regular dream mode. It really is hard for your mind to accept that you are in "the Matrix" basically.

If you can maintain focus, you can do really cool things. But your mind keeps resisting and wants to accept that the world around you is real. So it is tough.

Then as I got older I think I just got lazy and stopped putting the mental energy into trying to do this (with college and other life stuff). But in recent years I have occasionally tried to get my mind "back into shape" for this.

It seems that I more often now tend to achieve more of a "half-and-half" kinda thing where on some level I'll realize it is a dream, but yet I still don't make the step to full lucidity. It even seems like there are many times now when as a dream is going on, I'm kinda aware of myself lying in the bed sleeping/dreaming while also being "in the dream". Wierd.

I recently have been doing those "exercises" I mentioned and I think I have had limited success, but not full lucidity yet. I have noticed that I've been "becomming more powerful" in lots of my dreams. Many times I'm being chased by some kind of bad guy or monster or something (yes, I have lots of monster/creature dreams) and I have been using "matrix moves" to get past/ get away. Big jumps, wall runs, flips, etc... I think in one dream where I was still "reacting to the dream" and trying to get away from something I actually said to myself after doing some kind of Matrix move, "Good, at least I'm becomming more powerful in here now". So I wasn't really lucid because I was still invested in the story of the dream and concerned about what was going on. Yet I was aware on some level that I was able to push myself to bend the rules and it was because of something I was doing to get lucid dreams. Again, wierd, I know. I even occasionally can just put my hand out and say "No" to stop something or change something I really don't like.

Anyway, I know this was off topic but I just wanted to relay some of these fun experiences. Has anyone else ever played with lucid dreaming?

10. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I've never had dreams of memories, but sometimes I'll mix reality up with my dreams. I'll think something in my dream happened or something that really happened was a dream.

I often have dreams where I'm in familiar surroundings, but they don't look exactly the same. There will always be something there in the dream that makes me recognize where the dream takes place, but it otherwise is different. Also, my dad has been in my dreams a lot since he died a little over a year ago. He's in at least 4 or 5 of my dreams a week.

Another thing that happens sometimes is I'll be sleeping, yet hear people in the house talking and doing stuff, and all that will end up in my dream.

11. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

Regarding Sean's post, I've had very similar experiences with lucid dreams. It seems to be easy to do in the mornings when you wake up, and then go back to sleep, like you mentioned. And like you said, even though you're aware of the dream, you aren't totally "there" because you are dreaming, after all. I often try to fly, but I must have an aversion to heights, as I tend to naturally come down and have to concentrate really hard to stay in the air. But it is very fun. Unfortunately because the lucidity seems to come hand in hand with a very light sleep, it never seems to last very long and I always wake up when something unexpected and exciting happens. I'm still amazed at how you can dream up all of this in your own mind and not know what's going to happen.

12. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Can't say I have ever dreamed a full or complete memory. Had some partial memories, of things I had not thought of in YEARS, such as a visit from an old family friend who died when I was very young.

Weird thing is, I can be going about my business during the day, and suddenly be hit with a memory I had not used in years [such as it were]. I thought about my kindergarten teacher for the first time in literally 20 years.

Or about the time my dad and I were using a log to cross between two large rocks at the ocean, and it rolled and threw us down about 6 feet. I was wet and crying like a lunatic, though it was more from being scared than actually hurt. I was 6 or 7 at the time.

13. andrew markworthy

Which use of the term 'eating' do you mean here? One perhaps indicates guilt at at being a carnivore, whereas the other ... well suffice to say that you've put me off having mayo on a hamburger ever again. [​IMG]

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

So at least I'm not the only one who have never had a dream that was a memory. Why do we keep accepting it in movies? [​IMG] I guess it's just one of those movie things that everyone has come to accept as "reality within a movie", like easily exploding cars, silencers on guns and sound in space...

15. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

Curious, how do silencers fit that list?

16. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

I always have re-occurring dreams that I can 'float' down stairs, and am always driving a large vehicle that the breaks just don't work on.

17. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott
    I'm guessing he meant silencers on revolvers, not all guns. Revolvers can't be silenced effectively.