Have you ever done the squeeze on your TV by going into the service mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I just ordered the service manual for my TV (Sony KP-61V80)in order to make some tweaks for my TV (fixing red push, overscan, etc.)

Have you ever tried doing the squeeze in the service mode? Were the results better than downcoversion?

2. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I used to do it all the time on my 36" toshiba before I got my widescreen set. For me, it was a night and day difference. The extra resolution was nice, but friggin toshiba tubes have such a problem with moire that the squeeze trick made it tolerable.

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I've got a 27" Tosh and have a macro on my Pronto to automatically squeeze when watching anamorphic DVDs. It noticeably improves the picture; especially in the area of jaggie reduction.

4. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Do it, it looks a lot better(even on my 20" set)but it is a pain to set it back and forth.[​IMG] It would have been nice of sony to add it to menu.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    james

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'll be anxious to try it. How long does it take to make the changes once you "get the hang of it"?

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Also, what other changes did you have to make as a result. I read an article that said I would have to make changes in the pincussion, etc.

Using Avia, I would assume it would help me.

7. Jonnie M

Jonnie M Agent

This is probably a ridiculious question but, what is the difference between doing the squeeze in the menu mode as opposed to the service mode? I just figured that you would be getting the same resolution regardless? Most likely i'm missing something here, and sorry to just jump in with a question.

Thanks,

Jon

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I can't do the squeeze in the menu mode. Most 4X3 TVs don't allow it.

9. Jonnie M

Jonnie M Agent

Sorry to jump in again, but on my menu mode, its a Sony XBR, it reads 16X9 enhanced. So if you switch to yes isn't that doing the squeeze trick?
    Again Sorry [​IMG]

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

There's only one major problem: I don't have an XBR. I have a KP-61V80. Unfortunately, I don't have that option.

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dave,
    all of your replys so far have been from people who've squeezed direct-view sets.
    You have an rptv, which is a completely different animal as far as doing the squeeze. You have 3 tubes vs one, convergence issues, etc.
    I'd strongly recommend you not even attempt it unless someone with the same model set, who's done it successfully is willing to share how he/she did it.
    In my couple of years of hanging out here i've only seen one instance of someone successfully squeezing a 4/3 rptv in the service menu. That was on a Toshiba and it took the guy weeks to do it. The entire procedure once he figured it out still took the better part of a day.
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to save you from potentially ruining your tv.
    The squeeze instructions you may have found do not work on rptvs. They are for Sony direct veiw sets, and work fine for them--I've done it myself on a Direct View XBR I had a couple of years ago.

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Thanks for the warning. My braveness has been decreasing the more I give this thought....