Have You Ever Bought a DVD Instead of Going to the Movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert M. Moran, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Robert M. Moran

Robert M. Moran Auditioning

Have you ever bought a DVD instead of going to the movies? With most new release DVD's being prices at less than 20 and thousands at $15 or less, it really does make sense with movie tickets being upwards of $10 in many places. We all know that some movies are must-see theater releases but the question still remains. Plus, with movies comming out sooner and sooner on DVD, it'll almost wait for the DVD (in some cases). The flim industry is really falling into a hole with the price of DVD's getting lower by the month and movie prices increasing like they have been.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I generally only go to movies...
    1) if I REALLLY WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE ON THE BIG SCREEN
    2) if I'm out with my girlfriend after dinner, etc.

Rarely will I make a "speculative" trip to movies to just see a movie for the hell of it.

3. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

I do this all the time especially since I can't even count the number of times I've been to a theater and there have been various problems with projection and sound.

Not to mention all the obnoxious people with cell phones and beepers, people kicking seats, unclean theaters, etc...

In my opinion its more stressful to venture out to a theater then to just wait it out and enjoy it in the privacy of my own house.

4. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

It's hard to determine this, but I would say there are many movies I've bought on DVD that I didn't see in the theaters, movies like Meet the Parents, Legally Blonde, Amelie, etc. In fact, if you include all my "classic" movie DVDs, the better part of my collection are movies I never saw in the theaters. It's not like I knew I was passing on the these movies to wait for the DVD. But the reviews of such movies on DVD, particularly Amelie, convinced me to buy them, and I'm pleased that I saved the initial expense of seeing them in a theater first.

I still go to the movies, but I'm much more demanding. I will see big "epic" kind of films in the theaters, like LOTR and Star Wars, etc. Also, independent kinds of films that may be difficult to find elsewhere.

For most everything else, if I want to watch something, it comes on pay-per-view soon enough, and then I can decide whether it's a keeper.

5. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Well,

I am a sucker for the movies. I go whenever I can. I like the experience. I love being in a crowded theatre, watching a great movie on the big screen. Annoying people with cell phones?? They must die! Theatre owners should keep their places clean. That is for sure. But still, I just love the overall experience. Before I got married, I wnet to the movies 2 or 3 times a week ususally. I had a blast. I also love watching them at home though, too. Nothing like turning off the lights, laying on the counch and watching one in the comfort of my own home either though. [​IMG]

Just my 2 cents...

Zack

6. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Movies are still something to do, socially. But I have a reasonably large, high-end home theater (50" Fujitsu plasma). People love to see it, and movies really come alive on my system, particularly older films. So, it has become a bit of a social center.

And why do movies need an audience of more than one at a time, anyway? It's basically a passive experience, like reading. It's just what we're used to, acculturation, just as we're used to reading alone. Maybe there will come a time when most movies will be viewed at home.

7. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Agreed! Movie ticket prices are getting too expensive for anything but the big effect movies these days. Hubby and I tend to see films like LOTR etc once in theatre, then buy the dvd with the money we probably would have spent seeing it a second (or third) time. The others we tend to rent and if we like it enough then buy it.

Edit addition: there are also the reasons TedT mentions in the next post :) Forgot those when I hit the post button *silly me*

8. TedT

TedT Second Unit

All the time. And it's not because of the price of tickets.

It has to do with all the cell phones, babies, people behind me kickin my chair, and nonstop talking that goes on in the theaters! It's really hard to get into a movie and watch it in a theater when all this is going on.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Not specifically; I've picked up DVDs of movies I've missed, but never said "rather than seeing this in the theaters, I will instead wait for it to come out on DVD" (well, okay, maybe I've said that on the occasional Thursday evening when I realized that I didn't want to go out in the rain to see something on its last day). Indeed, it's an old joke that coming from me, "I'll wait for video" means "I will never see this movie".

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Usually if I don't see it in the theater I rent the DVD first. If I really liked it and think I'd like to watch it multiple times, then I'll buy it. Very few titles do I buy blind.

11. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

This has been covered a number of times. Some do, some don't. Some feel that to watch movies in anything but a theater is an insult to film. Others can't stand the people they're forced to sit with in a theater. It's an interesting issue, but gets heated amongst some folk.

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Signs was the first movie where I specifically decided "I'm almost 100% likely to buy the DVD, so I won't bother going to the theater even though I really want to see it". Of course, after reading about the less-than-stellar quality of the DVD, I'm still debating whether to buy or rent. . .(I'll probably pick up a used copy at BB.)

The only movies I've been to in the theater over the past 6 months are The Two Towers (using the ticket from the Fellowship DVD set), Die Another Day (with my hometown pals when we were all home for Turkey Day) and One Hour Photo (which I saw with my grandma at her condo's clubhouse). I'm probably going to pick up X-Men 1.5 and use the enclosed ticket to see Daredevil too. [​IMG]

The annoyances of a theater are extraordinarily irritating, especially when one goes so rarely, they really stand out.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Have you ever.......

pissed people in the HTF off by posting a cryptic header when you could have just stated the question? [​IMG]

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I usually go to the theatre 2 - 4 times a week. I want the big screen experience, whether it's a blockbuster epic or a small indie film. (And though the arthouse multiplex screens are hardly big. ) And I do not want to wait several months until the DVD is out.

However, even if I see 12 or more movies a month, I still CANNOT fit in all that interests me. Those which leave town before I get to them will have to wait for the DVD. I try to schedule my theatrical viewings to see the ones bound to have short runs first.

This weekend, "Personal Velocity" and "The Crime of Father Amaro" both open. Hopefully, I'll fit in both, though "PV" is out on DVD in March and "Amaro" in April.

18. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Yes. I do that all the time. I no longer go to the movies. I wait until the movie hits DVD then I purchase the movie. I do this with all movies such as Eight Legged Freaks, Goldmember, etc.

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

An interesting thread.

Based on what I see here, the future of "Going To The Movies In A Theatre" looks quite bleak indeed.

And why wouldn't it? (Except for the staunch supporters of the "aura" of the theatre "experience".)

Put me in the Normally Wait For The DVD camp.

I'd much rather watch the DVD at home (for LESS money), rather than fight the theatre crowds.

In fact, the last film I watched in a theatre was Star Trek: Nemesis, and wasn't overly impressed with the sound system being employed. The Surround Sound seemed weak (IMO), and the dialogue hushed and difficult to hear at times.

It made me appreciate my meager HT set-up all the more, because I think the film would have sounded (nearly) as good at home!

Anybody else been "disappointed" with not only the sticky floors/cell phones/constant talking/constant popcorn chewing noises from patrons during quiet periods of the movie, but also with the PQ and sound quality of their movie-theatre outing(s)?

With all the huge big-screen TVs now being sold in the world, we're certainly making some headway, aren't we, toward duplicating (and even surpassing) the ultimate movie-theatre experience at home.

We've most definitely surpassed it in terms of: Comfort, Re-watchability of scenes at our whim, and "No Waiting" for the restroom. [​IMG]

In order to compete with lavish Home Theatre set-ups, upcoming HD-DVD, and 65-inch RPTVs, do you think the Motion Picture Industry will take some drastic (or small) measures to get consumers into the seats? Like, say, some type of new-fangled 3-D imaging process we can't dupe at home? Or, perhaps, even BIGGER theatre screens? Say, the size of screens that are used in big-league sports arenas? Or at Times Square? (Imagine SW-Ep. 2 on that monster!!) [​IMG]

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor