What's new

Have you ever ben moved to tears by a piece of music? (1 Viewer)

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Ditto on the Eric Clapton "tears in heaven" and also the Dolly Parton "I will always love you" as corny as it it.

I also note some people relate back to our teenage years. Mine was "night's in white satin" by the moody blues. My first love and big heartbreak. What was that Chicago song something about Color my ....world?

Also Led Zepplin's "stairway to heaven" sends a chill up my spine, just because of all the great times in my youth partying with my buddies, driving around getting wasted, listening to 8 tracks....

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranuez

Genesis - Supper's Ready (finale) from "Foxtrot"

Nick Drake - Northern Sky from the "Fruit Tree" Box set

REM - Find the River from "Automatic for the People"

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I have imagined that should the end of the world come that Puccini's little-known but moving aria "Libero e Lontano" from La Fanciulla del West should serve as a fitting close.
I've got to include Debbie Reynolds singing "Come Away with Me" from How the West Was Won. I first heard this as a child and thought it so sad. There's something so plaintive and mournful in her voice that tells you her dream will never come true.
When I read Keith mentioning "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins, it immediately opened a floodgate of memories and just thinking about it gets me all choked-up!
But the real tear jerkers came from last year:
As I watched the repartee scene from Moulin Rouge it occurred to me that there is one modern love song that spans ages and time and represents the love of all lovers facing their future together and that had to be "Heros". When Ewan started singing that I just about hit the floor. It was SO intensely moving and sweet I knew Nicole HAD to melt. Baz hears "Heros" as I do.
The whole score of Fellowship of the Ring is genius and if Howard Shore didn't get the Oscar I would have pulled a Russell Crowe on the members. It is intensely moving in so many places but oh! The illumination of Dwarrowdelf. The score PERFECTLY expresses the bitter sorrow of the lost majesty of the dwarves yet somehow elevates the soul in wonderment that it still stands in memorial; a city become a mausoleum. I was in the theater and I cried. Long and Loudly. I can't even type this without going to pieces.
And finally....
There is nothing but nothing like "Amazing Grace" and it is gleaming in its inspiration most profoundly when piped in chorus. It is the spiritual fire of humankind. I cry simply because I feel the presence of the spiritual grace and I am awed in its terrible beauty.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
"The Gunner's Dream" by Pink Floyd on "The Final Cut".

'...after the service, when you're walking slowly to the car,

and the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air,

you hear the tolling bell, and touch the silk in your lapel,

and as the teardrops rise to meet the comfort of the band,

you take her frail hand,

AND HOLD ON TO THE DREAM...'

At this point, Roger Waters screaming of that last line melds in perfectly with the plaintive wail of a saxophone.

This song provoke a heavy emotional response from me EVERY time I listen to it.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Oddly, the music that registers with me most is probably some of the various pieces of music from the Final Fantasy Games. :emoji_thumbsup:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Songs with images guarantee the water works so...

Sarah McLachlan's "Jessie's Song" from Toy Story 2.

Judy Collins' "In My Life" over scenes from The Wonder Years.

Final scenes of Buffy Season 2 with Sarah McLachlan song

Some exceptions:

Several tracks off Alison Krauss' "Forget About It," namely "Ghost in the House" and "That Kind of Love"

Fiona Apple's "I Know"

John Prine's "Hello in There" and "Sam Stone"

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
"Heaven" - The Talking Heads

Especially on the "Stop Making Sense" dvd,in 5.1 the 2 background singers come in from the rear speakers and give it a really neat effect!

"........Heaven, heaven is a place, a place where nothing, nothing ever happens."

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I've got another one...

"Let The River Run" by Carly Simon from the "Working Girl" soundtrack.

It makes you weep not because it's sad, but because it has this "I'll fight on no matter what" spirit that drives our lives from beginning to end.

It's especially sad during the opening and closing credits of "Working Girl" when you hear the song and then see the Twin Towers.

I don't care that it's been 10 months...the sadness is still there. The town is part of all of us, now and always, and this song is a reflection of that spirit.

Sincerely,

John "Sorry if that made no sense" Kilduff

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Agree with those who said: John Williams' Across The Stars. Great piece of music and one of his best.

Also agree with Rob Gillespie on his statements regarding The Fellowship of the Ring. Rob, your description was precise.

Others that may/may not bring an exact tear but mist to the eyes are:

Tennessee from the Pearl Harbor Soundtrack. Still remains as one of my favorite cd's of all time.

Chariots of Fire Great music but also what I associate with that piece of music.

Titanic Not sure exactly what the piece is called but it's beautiful.

I love film music and I own more soundtracks than other cds...

paul_v

Second Unit
I'm another one that has been moved to tears by U2. Last November I was brought to tears during their concert in Dallas a couple of times. U2 have been my favorite group since 1987 and I've seen them in concert 5 times..It always seems to be the song "Where the Streets have no name" that gets me that choked-up frog in the throat feeling. The song is awesome live.

DennisHP

Second Unit
After a hard week and a six pack or two...
K.D. Lang's renditions of "The Air that I Breathe", and "Theme from the Valley of the Dolls"
another beer and...
U2's - "One"
Roy Orbison's - "Crying", "Falling"
a couple shots of JD and...
Bruce Springsteen's - "One step up", "Secret Garden"
no wonder I feel dry after that! :)

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
For me the soundtrack during the movie "The Gladiator" is some of the strongest stuff i have heard, it is AWESOME.

JoeDelan

Stunt Coordinator
Anything by the new Pop stars or Boy Bands or Teenage Girl Groups, artists...

Those always bring tears to my eyes. And blood from my ears...

MarcEM

Grip
Harry Chapin: Cats in the Cradle

Creed: With Arms Wide Open

Mike and the Mechanics: The Living Years

Rush: La Villa Strangiato

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Most of the music that I could have an emotional reaction to is connected to something else. I play a lot of videogames, and if you ask anyone who played Final Fantasy 7, they can tell you that there is one HUGE depressing part in the game. Because of this, I look at all the music from the game to depressing. A lot of the music from the series (mostly Final Fantasy 8, which has an AMAZING orchestral soundtrack) is wonderful and emotional.

I don't remember which song it is, but it's from an anime called Neon Genesis Evangelion. During a sort of flashback montage scene from a later episode in the series, there is music played that is just a single piano that is very depressing. What makes it EXTREMELY depressing is the montage that plays during it. I'll put spoiler tags on my description of it, but it doesn't really spoil much that you didn't already know if you watched the first few episodes.

Right before the music starts, the mother is saying to her son how bright the future will be and how she wants him to see the beginning of it.

While a certain part of the music is playing, a quick montage plays that shows newspaper headlines about how she has died/disappeared. Some say the father might be involved and such, but right after there is a still shot of a photograph of the child's mother that quickly fades to black, then there is another photograph that does the same thing. I think there are 2 or 3 of these, then it cuts to a large wasteland-looking thing with a bunch of crosses in rows, each of them a grave. This is where his mother is buried.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Not a specific song per se, but I find that certain music from my formative years (mid to late 1970's) can do that. Music has always been very important to me, and I definitely connect to certain music emotionally.

Perhaps a good example would be seeing Jimmy Page and Robert Plant when the toured in '95. I guess you could say I had a U2 moment as others have described.

I always though Led Zep (and Jimmy Page in particular) were the coolest band that ever lived. I still do. To me, the way Page held his Les Paul was and IS the essence of cool. I learned to play guitar (not particularly well, unfortunately!) because I wanted to be like Jimmy Page. To this day, there is a Honeyburst Les Paul hanging on the wall, which I play because it looked a bit like Page's guitar.

I never got to see Led Zep, and thought I would never see Page either, but when they came to town, I got tickets.

When the curtain came up, the lights stayed out while they ripped into what I thought was going to be the Immigrant Song. Suddenly they stopped dead, paused for a split second, and when the lights came up they tore into the Wanton Song (note to those that are only casual Zep fans: these are fairly obscure Zep songs, yet they burn with all of the essence that is Zeppelin). The segue was perfect.

There, 30 feet in front of me was Jimmy Page w/Les Paul in hand and Robert Plant in full wail...Niagra Falls! I was glad my wife decided to run to the potty before the show started!

I had a real hard time keeping my eyes dry for the rest of the show. They played nothing but Zeppelin, played and sung perfectly as only the masters can, and with a killer band, They played some pretty obscure stuff, but it was everything I wanted to hear. Even Kashmir with a full Egyptian Orchestra.

As an aside, they did NOT play Stairway, and I was probably the only person in the building that was glad for the omission.

Seven years later, I am watching VH1 Storytellers, with Robert Plant. The band plays Whole Lotta Love. When Plant starts to sing, its all over!

Probably be the same if I saw Sabbath (with the original line up), although I did get to see them in '78 with a new, up and coming openning band that no one had heard of called Van Halen!.

There is something in the music that I guess we all just connect with.

BL

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
MickeS,

You mentioned Springsteen's "Dancing In The Dark" and songs by Mary Chapin Carpenter. There's a CD single out there from MCC that featured a live acoustic version of "Dancing In The Dark" that's slowed down, very somber and sad. Try to see if you can find that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks