What's new

Have you ever ben moved to tears by a piece of music? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Three musical moments from cinema:
1. Rocky going down in the 14th round. Bill Conti should split the Oscar for Best Picture with Stallone, as I am convinced his score put the movie over the top.
2. Ennio Morricone's haunting music during Malone's (Sean Connery's) death in The Untouchables.
3. Luke Skywalker contemplating his future, looking up at the twin suns in Star Wars.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
The closest I ever got to being moved to tears by music was by the second movement of Beethoven's Second Symphony. Sometimes listening to "The Old Fart at Play" by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band can almost bring me to tears.

Oh man, that's so heavy.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I can also go along with a previous poster's suggestion of "In My Life", especially Keith Moon's version. I suppose this might sound sarcastic, but that veersion of the song seems to be such an emotional departure from someone who was not known for any kind of emotional depth whatsoever.

RogerB

Second Unit
Shostakovich Symphony No. 12, final movement. It's not depressing just highly emotional.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The song "Freshmen" by Verve Pipe has always been one of those songs that, every time I hear it, hits kind of hard. I wouldn't say it brings me to tears, but it does with several of my friends. The song is pretty much a complete biography of the college-life of my group of college friends (about 15 of us). Everything that is mentioned in that song has happened to one or more members of my group of friends... things that we all went through together, with each other during college.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
Several pieces of music I can think of offhand:

Harry Chapin : "Flowers Are Red", "A Better Place To Be", "Dreams Go By"

Michael McDermott : "Annie and the Aztec Cross"

The Cure : "Just Like Heaven"

Roy Clark : "Yesterday When I Was Young"

Concrete Blonde : "Tomorrow, Wendy"

Rachmaninoff : Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
For me it has to be Tea For One from Kevin Gilbert. Second Mother Father from Journey, third The Minstrel Boy from The Corrs

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
Flying from Atlanta to Pittsburgh, PA for the sole reason being to see John Williams conduct the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra in "The Best of John Williams" was pretty darn moving especially during E.T, Superman, and the Star Wars theme. I consider these classic movies to be a major part of my childhood so it was extremely moving to finally be able to see John Williams conduct his music in person and in such a wonderful concert hall (Heinz Hall).

Had goosebumps for days...

JP

Mark F Hall

Agent
"Cause We've Ended As Lovers" - Jeff Beck

"Somewhere In Heaven" - Santana

"Little Wing" - Jimi Hendrix

"A Love Supreme" - John Coltrane

"Alison" - Elvis Costello

"Magnolia" - JJ Cale

"These Arms Of Mine" - Otis Redding

"Bridge Over Troubled Waters" - Simon & Garfunkel

"God Bless The Child" - Billie Holiday

"Imagine" - Neil Young

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
No song has ever moved me to tears. But I do get a little choked up over some of the old fok songs. In particular the Everly Brothers cover of "Lightning Express". It's on their album "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us" which is all folks songs :emoji_thumbsup:
B0000032CG.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Lightning Express from the depot so grand
Had started out on its way
All of the passengers that were on board
Seemed to be happy and gay
But one little boy, who sat by himself,
was reading a letter he had.
You can plainly tell by the look on his face
that the contents of it made him sad.
The stern old conductor then started his round,
taking tickets from everyone there.
And finally reaching the side of the boy,
he gruffly demanded his fare.
"I have no ticket," the boy then replied,
"but I'll pay you back, someday."
"Then I'll put you off at the next stop we make."
but he stopped when he heard the boy say:
"Please Mr. Conductor, don't put me off of this train.
The best friend I have in this world, sir,
is waiting for me in pain.
Expecting to die any moment, sir,
and may not live through the day.
I wanna reach home and kiss mother goodbye.
Before God takes her away."
A girl, sitting near, was heard to exclaim,
"If you put him off, it's a shame!"
Taking his hat, a collection she made
The boy's way was paid on the train
"I'm obliged to you, miss,
for your kindness to me."
"You're welcome," she said, "never fear."
Each time the conductor would pass through the car,
The boy's words would ring in his ear:
"Please Mr. Conductor, don't put me off of this train.
The best friend I have in this world, sir,
is waiting for me in pain.
Expecting to die any moment, sir,
and may not live through the day.
I wanna reach home and kiss mother goodbye.
Before God takes her away."

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
This one gets me everytime I watch Mary Poppins - Feed The Birds - it really is the centerpiece of the film.

The orchestral break especially is very powerful, Julie Andrews does an amazing job vocally, and the song is very poignant about the simple things in life. Apparently it was also Walt Disney's favorite song by the Sherman brothers.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Songs which cause me to moisten up are quite plentiful:

-"Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton

-"What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong

-"God Bless The USA" by Lee Greenwood (the waterworks were flowing when I heard this the day after the September 11th attacks)

-"After All (Love Theme from 'Chances Are')" by Peter Cetera and Cher

-"Purple Rain" by Prince (it was good listening, and quite cathartic after somebody I knew for 6 years terminated her friendship with me)

-"Eternal Flame" by The Bangles

-"The Living Years" by Mike + The Mechanics

-"Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" by Christopher Cross

-"That's What Friends Are For" by Rod Stewart (the original version from the "Night Shift" soundtrack)

-"Tender Love" by The Force MDs

-"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by any artist who performs it (whether it be Judy Garland, The Pretenders, Luther Vandross or Hugh Jackman, it always brings a tear to my eye)

-"Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler

Sincerely,

John "I'd like them to use 'Wind Beneath My Wings' during an Academy Awards In Memoriam segment" Kilduff

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When She Loved Me - Sarah MacLachlan (written by Randy Newman)
The only time I can remember shedding a tear for a song/during a movie -- and I'm sitting in a theater watching a Disney/Pixar movie!!!!!
As many of you know, the song is used during a montage when a doll is describing how the little girl who-used-to-own-her grew up and got more interested in boys and make-up. This came at a time for me when my own teenage daughter was packing up her beenie babies and clearing way on her dresser for make-up and other teen accessories.
I am still moved each time I hear it. In fact, I'll take out my DVD of Toy Story 2--watch the fanatstic opening sequence to enjoy the incredible audio--and then chapter select "When She Loved Me" to feel the tug on my heartstrings.
My daughter is now 16 (a junior in high school) and we have already begun her "college tour". Aaaaaaugh!:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks