What's new

Have you ever been warned about a movies content by a theater employee? (1 Viewer)

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
When I went to see Saving Private Ryan, just before the film started, an employee came in and warned the audience that the movie was very graphic and told us to feel free to leave the theater and told us where the restrooms were in case someone could not stomach what was happening on screen. I do not know if they did this since the first screening or if they had someone get sick and decided to do this or what, but that has never happened to me since.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Theatres ought to warn people in advance if the print is trashed, and if it happened at that theatre assure everyone that the person who did it has been fired!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Nope. The closest thing I've encountered like that is seeing a sign right next to the line for the box office warning people of the graphic content and violence of The Passion of the Christ.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
When I went to see Punch Drunk Love I was asked by the cashier if I really wanted to see it, because people were walking out right and left and demanding their money back and berating the cashiers. (I loved it, BTW)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I will sometimes warn people if a movie is subtitled. It's rare, but it saves some trouble down the line in some cases... Although I have to say we have come a long way from the days when people walked out of "Like Water For Chocolate" constantly and today when I can't recall but one person who was upset that "The Passion of the Christ" had to be read.

Perhaps this weekend I will be asking people if they really want to see "Secret Window." :D

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Not exactly, but I had an employee recently who assured me, despite all evidence to the contray, that Tim Burton had done 'A Tarantino' and made Big Fish as a Pulp Fiction - style, non linear movie.

It later transpired that unsurprisingly, they had played the reels in the wrong order.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
When my father and I went to see Boogie Nights, the ticket seller asked us if we knew what the movie was about. Evidently a couple of little old ladies had thought it was about dancing (based on the commercials) and were quite offended :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I was warned that "Crash" contained graphic violence & sexual content. It was quite notorious in the UK at the time, and even though everyone in the audience was warned, a good number of people still got up & left during the film.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Me and my friend David were both warned before walking into Irreversible. We'd both heard of the intense subject matter, but even so, it was quite thoughtful of the cashier to point it out.
One more damp smash, and I was outta there. *shudder*
And as for print damage, I was close to walking out of Vertigo in fury. The astonishing level of grit, dirt, and crackly sound had me gnashing my teeth in horror.

James T

Screenwriter
Just before the movie, Blair Witch project started, some guys came up on stage and warned people that the movie may not be for you if you suffer from motion sickness and pointed to the big garbage bins near the exits.

Blade and Kill Bill had a big poster beside the ticket stand explaining the violence in the films

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd imagine most warnings are the result of past experience with that same film, or that similar type of film, being warned about.

Better to try and head off potential problems before they occur, rather than have to deal with a bunch of complaints/messes after the fact.

Most filmgoers are nowhere near as informed as we are (see the "Boogie Nights" comment above) and go into a film knowing little about it beyond the title.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
When I was 12 my mom took me to T2 and the ticket person said "You do know that this is rated R and may not be appropriate."

Of course I ate the movie up! :D

RobertW

Supporting Actor
when i went to see Sirens, the theater owner asked me if i knew what it was about. i said "sure".

elle mcpherson was nekkid in it. that's all i needed to know. :b it was actually a pretty nice little film.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I was warned a couple of times, but never about content.
Once, it was when I went to see Lost Highway at a second run theater. The print had a green line down it for the majority of the film. I wanted to see the movie and for 2.50 I could deal with the line.
Another time was when I say Bad Boys II. There was some construction in the mall and the theater was experiencing occasional powerlosses. I went in anyway and dealt with the pwr. it went out twice totalling maybe 10 minutes.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oddly, when I went with my girlfriend to see The Passion Of The Christ the manager of the theater came out and asked the audience to please be quiet during the film and warned everybody that there were no trailers before the film.....that's all.:)
What were they expecting the reaction to be? "Harumph, I can take the extreme violence and accusations of anti-semitism...BUT NO TRAILERS? OH, THE HUMANITYYYY!!!! "

BTW, I saw no anti-semitism in this film, IMO a rather wide path of blame was presented as well as a wide path of sympathy and understanding...even for certain Romans.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
In one case, 1974's release of Earthquake in so-called "Sensurround Sound," the studio itself issued a cheesy, gimicky disclaimer onscreen before the film, warning that people with heart conditions or using pacemakers might find the film too intense an experience. It was really an attempt to drum up more business.

And, of course, "Sensurround" pales in comparison with today's typical mutlichannel soundtrack.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"When I went to see Punch Drunk Love I was asked by the cashier if I really wanted to see it, because people were walking out right and left and demanding their money back and berating the cashiers."

Maybe the cashier was confusing Punch Drunk Love with Eight Crazy Nights, which is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It makes Little Nicky look like The Remains of the Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks