Have you ever been surprised by of swearing on an album

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ryan L. Bisasky, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

this is when you buy an album without a PA sticker, but it still had a surpising amount of swearing, or listening to an album with the kids, and a song with a few f bombs came out.

for me it was the latest Avril Lavigne album (don't kill me please). i was with my niece and was slightly surprised to hear the lyric "all the things you hide from me, all the shit that you do." on "my happy ending" when the radio lyric is "all the stuff that you do", so i even had to do a double take to make sure i heard what i heard. (she's 12 but i didn't expect that line in there
    another example is in the song "building a mystry" by Sarah Mccglocklan that has the lyric "with a beautiful fucked up man" (or something like that, my mom bought the cd for herself and thought that the album would be fine for us to listen to back in the day.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I wouldn't worry about it. Your 12 year old niece proably knows more bad words than you...?[​IMG]

Donny Osmond Sings The Dead Kennedys would be somethin'....

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I grew up in an era before the labelling craze, so, I was used to music being sometimes as frank as books. The only time a lyric ever surprised me was when Thomas Dolby sang that he was kicked out of school "because the teachers knew I had to funk." And that was only surprising because it was on the radio, and I expected the blue bloods to have censored it (even though it wasn't the actual F word).

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Are you serious? Those albums aren't "labeled" because they aren't considered to be in offensive or expicit, and certainly not excessive in nature. Never once been surprised. What the artist writes and sings, is what they feel, so that's what I listen to. If I don't like it, I don't have to listen to it and neither do you. I check for the PA label on my albums to - to make sure its THERE so I know I didn't get the sensored version. Nobody else can tell me what I can and can't listen to.

Guess you haven't seen Southpark... "What's the big fucking deal?"

It's Sarah McLachlan.

5. Ryan L. Bisasky

john, i have indeed seen south park (as well as narc, any kevin smith movie ect (in other words, movies with loads of swearing), its just i didn't maybe expect the language from those artists.

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

A thread like this just worries me, and maybe that's why you're seeing such a passionate reaction, Ryan. Our country (I am referring to the U.S.) is already on such a slippery slope that anyone asking about being offended by art seems like just another invitation for some crackpot to crackdown some more.

Particularly coming from someone who just joined the board a week ago, I know my first reaction was that you might be some kind of shill for the FCC or some other conservative political action group.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Or a troll.

However, Ryan, you are being given the benefit of the doubt!

8. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

I was, too, surprised by the "Building A Mystery" lyric. Not offended, just surprised.

A 1 to 2 F-Bombs (in a non-sexual manner) in a film = PG-13, so I imagine why a PA was not issued.

The poop on Avril I guess = PG. Not exactly explicit.

9. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

Back in the late 80's I was really getting into the Beatles. I had recently completed their entire catalog and was expanding to their solo records. It was the Christmas of '88 and I was watching my sisters house. She had given me a gift certificate and I purchased "Venus and Mars" from Wings and "Plastic Ono Band" from John Lennon. I am sitting there wraping my girlfriends gift when "Working Class Hero" plays. I could not believe my ears when John dropped the F bomb. Twice. Shocking but very cool.

10. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

I suppose Ryan can stick up for himself, but where did he say anything about being offended or wanting to do away with swear words in music??

All I got out of his post is that he was suprised to hear swear words where he didn't expect them and was wondering if anyone felt the same.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Subtext.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't feel there was any hidden message there saying "ban it". I understand where the question is coming from, because I have kids too, but I agree with Rachael B that the kids have most likely heard it all already, outside the home. As long as it isn't done in a blatant or intentionally offensive manner, such as in those cases mentioned (my daughter has both Avril albums), there's no need to slap a PA on it.

LOL, Kevin Smith movies... I own most of those. Creativity with explatives, just like good ol' Southpark.

I'm more surprised at some of the stuff that gets on the TV in Southpark... I feel it's perfectly fine for them to push the limit, it's the fact that some of the stuff that actually makes it to broadcast that surprises me. Things that wouldn't cut it on radio are on the TV...something wrong there.

13. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Well, not gonna defend or crucify the guy, but I'll throw in a response to his question. I got Ginuwine's "The Senior" two years ago and was mildly surprised by the last track, where he's being interviewed by Tigger. It wasn't as if I had heard an F-bomb in a PG movie, but I guess there've been changes to how many swear words get through on a non-Explicit labeled R&B or Rap CD.

14. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I've been surprised in the past. Iron Maiden's live albums Bruce drops quite a few F bombs, especially Rock in Rio and his solo album Scream For Me Brazil. I wasn't offended at all, but I did wonder why those didn't get the "Explicit Lyrics" label (and believe me, I own plenty of albums that do have said sticker, so I'm not calling for censorship).

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I've never really been surprised by the amount of swearing on a disc without a PA label on it.

Of course you're talking to a guy who buys a lot of metal albums from indie labels that don't even bother using the PA labels. [​IMG]

Well, I guess it is surprising that Spineshank used like more than 50 F bombs on the Height Of Callousness album and didn't get a PA. And they are even on Roadrunner, a mainstream label. [​IMG]

16. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The last album by Travis has a track named Peace The F**k Out which when sung sounds so contrived. Like some 12 year kid trying to sound big in front of his mates.

The album is utter f****** b******* w****** s*** anyway. [​IMG]

17. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Ryan ~ I myself was a bit suprised when I heard Avril's cd as well. I was use to the radio edit and it never occurred to me that there would be cursing on the cd. I bought it for my 7 year old, who is a fan, but I burned the cd with the radio edit instead. It may be one word, but to me it's not a word a feel my 7 year old needs to hear alot.

I also don't agree in censorship, so I only censor for myself and my family what I feel is not appropriate. I think the rest of the world has the right to hear what they want.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

On Avril's DualDisc there are a few music videos, and the weird thing is they censor a line about someone's hand down her pants (they bleep the word "pants") but they leave in an actual swear word elsewhere.

19. Ryan L. Bisasky

will, blame MTV for that, apparently "in my pants" is more offensive then "kick your ass"?

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ryan, I don't find it offensive. Censorship is what I find offensive.