Have you ever asked a theater manager to turn the volume down?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arthur S, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

A woman I dated did just that and the volume was turned down. It was still more than loud enough.

Did someone say "reference level"? I thought so.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Most of the time I want it turned up. When I saw JP3 this summer, it was so low that it lacked impact. The only time I remember thinking a movie was too loud was when I saw U571. The bass during the depth charge scenes nearly blew my head off.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

No...

But I had partial season tickets to the San Jose Sharks hockey team for a few years a while back. Each year, if you listened for it, they cranked the volume just a little bit more.

Now, loud rock music during a hockey game is kind of cool, but with the crap sound system they had, and the acoustics in the arena, it really got quite bad. So in a survey one year, I mentioned it that it was getting too loud.

Now I don't know if it was me, or me and a bunch of others complaining, but the volume has since been reduced to a more "distortion free" level.

4. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    By me, it's usually the opposite. They have to turn it up!!!! The Damn Sony theater always plays the audio to low!!!! Maybe I need to have my ears checked though [​IMG]

5. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

I did...I even remember the movie: Hunt for Red October.
    Now...if there was some way to turn down the people behind me, I would do that all the time.
    [​IMG]

6. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

I don't think I ever wanted a movie turned down but I sure have wanted a concert turned down. They blast the music so loud at times it really uncomfortable.

Bob

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I asked to turn Gladiator up. I should have asked to turn Harry Potter down.

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well the director intended it to be viewed at reference level, so i say if it's too loud, LEAVE! i know thats harsh, but it takes away from the viewing experience. you should watch movies at reference level just like you should watch them in widescreen instead of P&S.

9. Rich_B

Rich_B Extra

The re-release of Star Wars (which had the loudest trailer I'ver ever heard - Dante's Peak) was disgustingly loud but I didn't ask to turn it down. The theater was showing off it's brand new DD system methinks.

I like loud in general and hate when other people whine or gripe about it, so I wasn't about to be a hypocrite.

10. Steve-T

Steve-T Extra

I have never requested an adjustment for the simple reason that I do not want to miss any of the movie. Once I realize there is a problem it is too late. Usually the need is to turn up the volume. I had heard that many had requested to turn the volume down at one of my favorite theaters at the Irvine Spectrum, I thought the sound was great. Problem is most theaters have no reference level settings it seems, or they ignore it. THX theaters are rare(I assume having the designation would insure a reference level experience). Due to the lack of uniformity in theaters, I am increasingly staying away from theaters these days. Not to mention other distrations.

11. NiravDesai

NiravDesai Auditioning

I've never asked to turn down the volume, coz i dont want to miss the movie, but once i had to ask them to turn down the a/c. it must've been 65 degrees in there![​IMG]

12. Tim Holmes

Tim Holmes Extra

I just recently asked for the sound to be turned down. I was fortunate enough to be so overwhelmed during the credits that I was able to ask before the movie, Harry Potter, started.

The trailers were so loud as to be painful.

It was noticeably quieter soon after I asked, so they responded, and the movie was all the better for it.

Tim H.

13. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Never asked that a movie be turned down but I did leave a theater to tell the manager that the film was out of focus.

It was giving me a headache, one side of the screen was slightly blurry and no one in the theater noticed??

So after I told the manager, the film got focused and was easier to watch (the film was Recess Out a kids movie).

I do notice that some trailers before a film are too loud.

Also I attend SJU Basketball games and they were cranking the Big Bass Music a little too much the last few years.

Last season it was better, maybe someone complained.

JohnG