What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (1 Viewer)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I hoping the LG and Philips do well too, we need competition in this market because it has been odd the first year, hopefully the second year goes more smoothly with players and discs...

The Panny 900 is overpriced IMO, and the 400 is coming but wont have DV. Plus they still dont have Amazon HDR on the 900...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Two things to consider:

Oppo flopped on their launch of the player, so what makes you think they will add DV smoothly? I mean they just issued an update for Deepwater bugs, and that movie has been out over a month!

Second, considering the E6 won't get a dolby vision reference file for cal, the owner has to decide whether they want to watch a properly calibrated HDR10 mode, or a DV mode that cannot be calibrated. Owner may not care, I do. After seeing how good the E6 looks calibrated for HDR10, I may not even use DV unless someone proves to me it is "better" on this display. Ill leave that up to people like Chad B and others after they start messing with DV content.

You can buy a Sony and an LG (or Philips) for the price of one Oppo.

And still not have a region-free player that does DVD-A, SACD, and SMB. ;)

Oppo definitely released the 203 too early, but they'll get it all worked out. Their company history proves that I think, but there's a separate thread in a different forum for this kind of discussion.

As for Dolby Vision, not having a reference file for the E6 is an issue, but I don't think it's an insurmountable one. I'll tell you this - I'd rather have DV capability without a reference file that not have it at all.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
As for Dolby Vision, not having a reference file for the E6 is an issue, but I don't think it's an insurmountable one. I'll tell you this - I'd rather have DV capability without a reference file that not have it at all.

For me, I'm skeptical but hopeful because I just sold an HDR capable OLED with no cal control, and it wasn't very good at HDR. But maybe this time will be better. I just prefer a pro cal, and I become irritated by lack of cal control.

At least I know, with the HDR cal results on the E6, I can enjoy UHD content regardless of DV. I did not have that luxury with the 2015 model. This is all an example of where folks buying in now need to pay attention to specs, and their needs.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
tumblr_inline_o5bx7iPymx1t0ijhl_1280.jpg

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I think we need a new user class called Enabler. Awarded to members who convince other members to spend over $1500 on equipment. Perhaps the victim surviving the significant other's ensuing fury is also a requirement? It would be wrong to celebrate inciting relationship issues :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I got the final numbers on my tax return and could probably swing the 75" 940E if I wanted to go that direction, with a few months of ramen to follow =/ I'm going to watch the reviews very closely to see what the initial consensus is, especially when compared with the Vizio P75. I expect the Sony to have better motion procession and the Vizio to have more FALD zones. We'll see if the cost difference is justified. At $4500 I'd be in to be an early adopter on the Sony. At $6k I'm very wary.

I could stay at 65" and go OLED but I know that little lizard brain would be screaming at me "we wantses a bigger picture" every second I was watching it.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I got the final numbers on my tax return and could probably swing the 75" 940E if I wanted to go that direction, with a few months of ramen to follow =/ I'm going to watch the reviews very closely to see what the initial consensus is, especially when compared with the Vizio P75. I expect the Sony to have better motion procession and the Vizio to have more FALD zones. We'll see if the cost difference is justified. At $4500 I'd be in to be an early adopter on the Sony. At $6k I'm very wary.

I could stay at 65" and go OLED but I know that little lizard brain would be screaming at me "we wantses a bigger picture" every second I was watching it.

I'd go 940E. I'm still not a total fan of the Vizio video processing, Sony has it perfected. I know someone with a 940C and it is a fine display, the D dropped some zones but it seems the E is bringing them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks