What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (2 Viewers)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I don't think any of those models support both HDR and 3D.

The chart at the bottom says they do... There are 3 models that had HDR and 3D (JS9500, JS9000 and JS8500) all of those models show the following:

all with 3D support
Meets CEA 4K UHD Connected and HDR Compatibility Definitions
Compatible with Next-Gen UHD Blu-Ray HDR

Review JS9500 talks about HDR
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/135740-samsung-ue65js9500-4k-tv-review-high-dynamic-range-master

Review JS9000 talks about HDR and 3D
http://hdguru.com/review-samsungs-un65js9000-is-an-hdr-dazzler/

Review JS8500 talks about HDR
http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/samsung-un65js8500-4k-led-tv-review

If you look up the models on Samsung's website you will see they all say yes to 3D. Samsung's use active 3D to or at least mine does.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is being HDR compatible the same as having HDR built in?

Also don't want curved screens.

I'm running out of options.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Well in Samsung's case they released firmware for all or most of the 2015 models turning on HDR. If they say they have HDR in some form they have HDR. Just remember in 2015 there was no real HDR sources available except a few YouTube videos when these TVs where released. So most reviews had no way to test HDR or test if it supported HDR. When I bought my 2014 Samsung 4K in Feb of 2015 I didn't even know what HDR was. Lucky for me they released a Evolution Kit to add HDR to my TV. The 2015 versions though have higher "nits" then mine though. That was just my quick search yielded the results I gave you I didn't look at there lower models.

I think that they may have updated the Samsung JU7100 to support HDR as well. Just go to the Samsung website and the chat box should pop up to talk to them. It is the 2015 version of my 2014 TV so it should have HDR.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I`m torn on whether to keep the set. I got the set for a pretty good price....at least as far as Canadian prices go. The thing has killer picture quality on 2D material, but the 3D performance is substandard compared to my VT30. 3D material looks damn good at first, but when you start examining the picture there are areas near the edges where image ghosting (or is it crosstalk) causes double imaging, loss of 3D effect and blurriness. I never noticed anything like that occurring on my plasma. It is too bad LG did such a shitty job on the 3D performance for this set, because I actually like the passive glasses. They are light and relatively comfortable to wear and the clip on lenses for people who wear glasses (like myself) is nice touch.

I`d like to keep the set, because it isn`t often a deal like the one I got comes around, but it looks like I`m going to end up taking it back because the 3D performance just isnt`t up to snuff. I will try a few more 3D discs, but if I keep seeing blurry patches and ghosting then I`ll have to take it back and wait until LG does something to improve the quality of passive 3D performance on their OLED sets.

Doesn`t help that the set is a May 2016 build, but does not have Dolby Vision compatibility built in.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm curious if anyone else with one of these sets experienced the same issues and if you were able to solve the issues without returning the set.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm curious if anyone else with one of these sets experienced the same issues and if you were able to solve the issues without returning the set.
It's pretty much a panel lottery with today's sets from every manufacturer. My OLED is perfect in consistency across its width in 3D (an August build), but yours is not the first story of 3D problems with small sections of screens where things don't align as they should. (and, of course, if you love 3D, the choices for sets are SO limited nowadays.)

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
One thing about passive 3D on an OLED is that you pretty much have to be looking at the panel straight-on vertically or you will see ghosting at the edges. Try tilting the set if you can so that your line-of-sight is perpendicular to the screen and see if that helps.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Turns out that the problem was exactly what Mike2001 suggested. I had the set sitting on the floor, so I could feed signals to both the OLED and my plasma and compare the pictures. Passive glasses 3D is unforgiving of being vertically off-axis. I figured it out about a day before you posted, but thanks for the suggestion. I put it on a coffee table and the 3D quality is pretty good when my eyes are aligned properly with the middle of the set.

Now about the only things that are making me indecisive about keeping it is the total price, the fact that it doesn't support Dolby Vision and the concern that it doesn't have enough nits to fully take advantage of HDR. I really don't want to have spend another pile of cash on a TV set 3 years from now because they vastly improve OLED performance.

It is going to be hard taking this thing back though, because the picture is killer,

MatM

Grip
Real Name
Matthew Mayer
As I am settling down in the UK this year, I guess the time will finally come to get a TV (have been using 10.5 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab S for couple of years, whilst being aborad). Certainly wont buy a TV if it doesn't have 4K Ultra HD resolution. Buying 1080p would be like buying a betamax now in my eyes. I can spend months researching big value items, so it promises to be a drawn out process.

Having just bought a 21:9 PC monitor (and loving it), if I had been more of a movie fan than a TV fan- I would of looked at one of the 21:9 displays which are almost the same dimensions as actual cinema. LG, Philips and Vizio make them and I assume others.

Starting with this thread and website is a good place it seems. Still need to get my head around most if it, like what on earth HDR TV is (I only know for photos, but dont see how 3 versions of a video could be filmed then stitched together for the ultimate dynamic range). I think it might be regarding reording footage in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 for a wider color gammut and maybe filming in at least 10 bitrate instead of 8 to make more solid codec video..

Apparently modern SMART TVs can add pictures profiles, eg. increasing saturation. I guess similar to how old Stereo systems would do things in the background like turn up the bass. Which is why I used Hi Fi parts instead.

Last edited:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
SDR video is typically 8-bit and has a range of about 6 F-stops. HDR10 video is 10-bit and has a maximum range of 17.6 F-stops. HDR improves the grades of light and dark shades. Wide color gamut improves the grades of colors, which helps significantly with banding.

Personally, I'm more impressed with 3-D than I am with HDR or WCG.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I wasn't *planning* on jumping into a 4K display this year, but I found a great deal on an LG OLED65E6P and took the plunge. I'll be leaving a Panasonic 55" VT30 plasma for this OLED set and I'm pretty stoked! Can't wait to check out HDR, and I decided to spring for the E6 over the B6 for the 3D support.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think you will like it. My 65" VT30 was a great TV; however, after watching the LG65EG9600 it was readily apparent how much my VT30 was crushing blacks. I was seeing detail in dark areas on the 9600 that the VT30 couldn't match. It was night and day. Still the VT30 had a great picture.

The one thing that I don't like about the 9600 is no Dolbyvision support, but I'll live with out it. I'm finished with buying TVs for the foreseeable future. I want to start concentrating on a dedicated theater room.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Interested to see what Black Friday brings. I bet we have a lot of converts next weekend. OLED price drops are trickling in too, I don't think those will be a deluge but maybe enough to kick folks off of fences...

Also, 2 months till CES. Hoping we see a lot more dual HDR10 and DV support.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, I wasn't *planning* on jumping into a 4K display this year, but I found a great deal on an LG OLED65E6P and took the plunge. I'll be leaving a Panasonic 55" VT30 plasma for this OLED set and I'm pretty stoked! Can't wait to check out HDR, and I decided to spring for the E6 over the B6 for the 3D support.

What kind of deal? I was looking at that set too.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think you will like it. My 65" VT30 was a great TV; however, after watching the LG65EG9600 it was readily apparent how much my VT30 was crushing blacks. I was seeing detail in dark areas on the 9600 that the VT30 couldn't match. It was night and day. Still the VT30 had a great picture.

The one thing that I don't like about the 9600 is no Dolbyvision support, but I'll live with out it. I'm finished with buying TVs for the foreseeable future. I want to start concentrating on a dedicated theater room.

Thanks Edwin. I'm really looking forward to seeing what OLED can do.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What kind of deal? I was looking at that set too.

I got it from Cleveland AV (formerly Cleveland Plasma) for $3300 shipped Tino. With everyone else selling it for $4K (ha!) I felt that price was too good to pass up.

hatlesschimp

Auditioning
Real Name
Chria
I cant get over how all the TVs have improved over the last year! Not that I can afford one now after buying the epson 6040ub and the 135" cinemascope 2.37:1. The 4k hdr isnt working yet with the projector and I cant install the pj screen because Im still in a rental house but soon I can unleash the beast in a dedicated light controlled room. Also untill the Oppo 203 is released Im rolling with the Xbox One S for playing 4k content.

[ame][/ame]

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Edwin. I'm really looking forward to seeing what OLED can do.

So have you had a chance to check out your set yet? What are your impressions?

In my case, once I properly positioned the set, the 3D performance on it is amazing. It is like watching a whole new movie compared to the same content on my VT30.

Users who are viewing this thread