Have we been brain washed into liking widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sparks, Apr 11, 2002.

1. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    As we all know that, getting J6P to try and understand that when you see a movie at a theater on a rectangle screen and then buy the DVD, and if you have a square TV, there is only 2 ways to show it.
    I had a guy at work today tell me that it's a huge conspiracy on part of people like me forcing the makers of DVD's to cheat people like him out of seeing all the movie on his square TV!
    I have shown him numerous examples of how he's being cheated out of the entire picture by not seeing it in OAR.
    His response was, he doesn't care what the director intended, no one is going to tell him what to see. He is seeing the entire picture...I'm just full of crap.[​IMG]
    My parting words to him was that when he gets his 16x9 TV, all his fullframes will look great with gray boxes on either side of the picture.
    It's getting to be a losing battle...God help us all!!! [​IMG]

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    You know, there is a best of both worlds to be had. Tell him to set his DVD player so it thinks that it is sending to a 16:9 set. Then he gets the whole movie in his 4:3 frame. Of course everything will be super tall and skinny, but what does he care, it fills his screen.[​IMG]

3. JavierS

JavierS Stunt Coordinator

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I certainly haven't been brainwashed, I had a preference for widescreen VHS long before I got my first DVD player.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Oh, my gosh! I was brainwashed into spending $2300!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

I'm afraid its like the CIA, once you're in, you're in for life. [​IMG]
    And David, your a tool of the TV people man [​IMG]

7. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

If he wants to watch pan&scam maybe he should stick to vhs, where non-OAR films belong. I wish for this reason dvd WASN'T as successful as it has been, then the studios wouldn't have to patronize the true fans by pandering to J6P.

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

My response is that I don't like widescreen any more than I like full-frame. I like only what the director intended.

9. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

Ask him why he bought a DVD player in the first place....those people should just stick with VHS

10. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

...amazing.

11. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I don't know, but I think a widescreen movie looks better on my widescreen TV. Tell him to listen to the radio. Then there will be no problem with aspect ratios.

12. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

13. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

The scariest thing I have heard so far was from a film editor (she went to film school and now works as an editor on low budget films and on TV). We got into a discussion on DVDs and expecting her to agree with me, told her how upset I was about pan & scan DVDs. In shock I listened as she told me how she prefers full screen DVDs beacuse she hates the black bars, especially on her small TV screen. The thing is she's highly knowledgable about films & knows that part of the film is being chopped off, but she still prefers it anyway. In fact she told me that I probably think less of her as a filmaker because of this. Obviously there was nothing to argue about.

I've had this conversation quite a few times with people, and even though they know that the full screen DVD is not the way the film was intended to be seen, still prefer it. So even though we should educate people about widescreen, be prepared that sometimes it's not going to matter.

14. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

J6P is onto us! We are going into Defcon 4 people! Delete any pertinent e-mail correspondence to the studio heads immediately! Delete any address book files containing your studio exec contact's addresses! I feared this day would come...but nobody would listen! For years the puppets have allowed us to force butchered movies on them, making them unable to fill up their TV screens, but now it seems Pavlov's dogs have grown weary of their master. Who is responsible for leaking this to them?!?!

15. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

He wants his TV filled, then that's his choice.

I've explained to people the whole concept of widescreen, P&S and OAR.

I've come to the conclusion that some people just don't care. It's simply not important enough for them to justify leaving part of the screen unused.

Most people on this forum don't listen to music the way many artists intended, but noone seems to have a problem with that.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

16. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Logic isn't a strong point for many people. And as we've determined on many issues, when someone's mind is made up, facts will not sway them. Just fantasies.

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

20. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe
    First off, I'm an OAR advocate, and I try to educate people to its virtues, but one of the selling features to DVD was the fact that you could have both. They have been weaned on years upon years of P&S, and we expect them to suddenly change overnight, we need to be more patient, and push the electronics companies to release affordable 16:9 TV's in various sizes.
    This fight is only starting, and it's pure numbers, they have more.