Have to choose 720p or 1080i cable box...need help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by StephenK, Jan 9, 2004.

1. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I'm going to get an HD TV, specifically the Sony 42WE610, which accepts 1080i and 720p (as well as 1480i and 480p). The question is, Time Warner wants to know which cable box I want. Evidently they have 2 different boxes that output either/or but not both. I have no idea how to choose and what diffence it would make. Can anyone explain what the differences/benefits are?

Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

Most brodcasts and sources are sending 1080i, to keep it native from the most sources, I would still go 1080i with it. Most of those boxes have a a switch and will output the one of your choosing. Maybe a new box is on the horizon from cable companies?

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Assuming that you intend to use component cable hookup (I believe that set also has a DVI port) I'd go with the 1080i input if the box only offers one choice. Your set will covert it to it's native rate from there and will probably give you the best picture that way. (Boy, are you going to be a happy camper [​IMG] )

Mort

4. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

which is better, 1080i or 720p?

5. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

Have to diagree with all....according to this this sets native is 788p (?with HD?). In which case you always want your source as clost to your native resolution as possible. So in this case you want the 720p box.

As for which is better? I'm sure you can find MANY debates on this in this forum. My 2-cents, 1080i is a high resolution, but suffers during fast movments (a lot of action) and most sports broadcasts (due to constat panning) Being that 720p will display every line instead of everyother line at a time, You get a far smoother picture.

Most displays do 1080i, due to implenting 720 require more resources (human & technical).