Have these tv shows got a shot on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Ringwald, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Roseanne
    Roswell
    Ally McBeal
    Gilmore Girls
    ?
    I heard somewhere FOX was working on Roswell, so I figure they think that show would sell, but what about GILMORE GIRLS? Would this be a show that Warner Brothers would consider a seller? The show does pretty good ratings for a WB show, and even though it's only going into season 3, I would think that it's possible to see this before syndication (malcolm in the middle is...) at least when season 4 or 5 debuts.
    and ROSEANNE, anyone know who exactly owns this? I know that columbia house was releasing videos of this (2 episodes per tape) but this show was over 200 episodes, and I can't imagine 100 videos!!!
    This isn't so much a "any news?" question, but more of a "anyone else think they've got a shot?" question. [​IMG]
    Ally McBeal had a compilation set a while back, anyone think this one might ever get seasoned sets?

2. EmilieB

EmilieB Extra

Hey Robert,
    I've heard a rumor about the release of the first season of Roswell on DVD (Region 2). But I can't confirm this.
    About Ally McBeal, I bought the first season and the 4th one on DVD. It's also region 2 though. If your DVD player can play other regions, you can order if at Amazon.fr

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I want to see the Dukes of Hazzard season by season on dvd. Anyone heard anything on a possible release for the Dukes?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

From what I hear, the Ally set did not do well at all

The Dukes are, or should be soon available from Columbia House

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Jeff, Thanks for the info. I know that columbia house has Dukes on vhs, but I hadn't heard anything about dvd.

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Damn, of course it didn't sell very good, it was one of those THEMED sets. [​IMG]
    I hope one day Ally gets released, at least the first 3 seasons.

7. Art Martinez

Art Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Robert, I don't mean to ignore your choices, but I thought this might be a good place to ask. Does anyone know if "The Amazing Race" will ever see a DVD release? I know that this show never had the popularity of Survivor, but this is one of the few TV shows that I will actually plan to watch on a weekly basis.

A while back there was a rumor that it would be released on DVD, but I never heard anything more about it.

Thanks in advance if anyone has heard anything.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I think the first three listings are a cinch sooner or later, although I agree with Jeff that the previous release of Ally means that it will be a lesser priority for Fox. I think it will come eventually, though.
    As for GG, I think that will depend on how well Felicity and Once & Again do...they probably feel that these are similar enough in tone to be a good test case. Not really, but that's how they will look at it, I think! [​IMG]

9. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

10. David Lambert

I'm not omniscient! [​IMG]

11. David Lambert

dbl-post

12. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It was stated by Peter Staddon from FOX in this thread that there are 'rights issues' with Roswell that would need to be cleared up before the show would hit DVD. He did say it wouldn't be this year.

13. Jeff Kleist

I think by now Mr. Staddon knows that SAAB has a market [​IMG] I'm guessing that at some point they're going to do SAAB, Alien Nation and some other 1 season shows in 1 lump
    If you want Ally now, Japan has box sets in NTSC

14. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Anybody think there are a few too many tv shows being released on dvd?

15. David Lambert

Define "too much". By the logic I *think* you are applying here, there are too many films being released on DVD. There are too many cartoons released on DVD. There are too many yoga videos released on DVD. There is too much adult material released on DVD. There is too much Anime' release on DVD.

It's NEVER, EVER bad to have a choice. If you can't afford everything you want, you prioritize. Don't you do that with movies on DVD right now?

16. Jeff Kleist

The rights issues with Roswell had to do with the fact they used well known popular artist's music which is expensive, and didn't get DVD rights at the time (they only started including DVD rights within the last 2 years)

I'd love The Amazing Race, however especially given how poorly Survivor's best-of did, I don't believe we'll be seeing it, or any other reality show as a season box. I truely think that they consider these shows disposible, and probably for the majority of the population they're right

17. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Space: Above and Beyond is my most wanted TV title, by far. It was a fantastic show that was cut down in its infancy. Please FOX! It's only one season!

Am I hoping for something that will never happen?

I sure hope not.

18. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great to hear that Dukes of Hazzard are coming.
    Now about Dallas for a change ? This would be great
    [​IMG]

19. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Absolutely not. I've never heard it suggested that there are too many authors releasing books, or too many bands releasing CDs, so why would too many TV shows on DVD be an issue? The more the merrier[​IMG]

20. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I would definitely go for box sets of "The Amazing Race" and "Survivor" too. I think the best-of "Survivor" discs also did not really offer anything we didn't know (except the behind-the-scenes featurette in the first one). If we got extra footage and some insightful extras (e.g. behind-the-scenes on setting up the island and challenges, and the race) from both these shows in box sets, they would stand a much better chance on DVD. Just my two cents though.