What's new

Have these AV Receivers amplified subwoofer output? (1 Viewer)

AdrianM

Auditioning
This may be a stupid question, but I can't figure it out looking at the specs. Does anybody know if any (maybe all) of these receivers has amplified output for subwoofer? In other words, can I just plug in a non-powered sub to them?

Denon AVR-1802

Denon AVR-2802

Onkyo TX-DS595

Onkyo TX-DS696

Onkyo TX-SR600

Thanks for your help!!!

Ashok

Agent
No, receivers generally do not have an amplified subwoofer channel. You will need an external amplifier if you wish to hook up a non-powered sub.

Chriss M

Second Unit
i have a panasonic HT-280 reciever which is 5 channels + a powered sub out channel. it's the only receiver i've ever seen with this feature though. I currently have it running my bedroom system.

AdrianM

Auditioning
Somebody warned me against powered subwoofers. Said they overheat and many have problems so he recommended that if I buy a receiver without a powered sub out channel I should by a separate amp for the sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as it's not a JBL sub, there should be no problem. :D Well known for amps frying.
One way is to find a sub with speaker level input and run off the main outs from the receiver. Not my choice, but would do what you are asking.
Whoever gave you that advise does not seem to realize that by driving the sub off the reciever's amp, the heat will now build up there instead....I don't see how that would be a BETTER idea?? :rolleyes
A separate amp would be good yes, but nearly all subs come with their own amplification, so you would also need to find a passive sub (relatively rare these days) - most likely an SVS, with external amplification.
The person who gave you this advise obviously had a bad experience or is trying to sell you something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks