What's new

Have some courtesy and leave some feedback on Ebay (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Oddly, it seems that Malcolm is not swayed by my crystal clear logic.

It's regrettable that not everyone plays well with others, still, feedback should go in order of "promises fulfilled."

chris_everett

Second Unit
As a buyer, I have no problems leaving the first feedback. It's an indicator of "transaction complete, and no problems". The buyer determines when the transaction is complete, and until it is, either side leaving feedback opens the door to more problems. Is it "extortion"? To a point, yes it is. Hopefully it "extorts" both sides to resolve any problems before feedback is left.

Oddly enough, the one transaction I had real problems with, the seller left me (positive) feedback first. (Never sent anything else my way, but that's another story)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Speaking of feedback- here's a real kicker. As I mentioned in my earlier post I have 549 feedback (550 now)

My latest feedback? Left by a non-paying bidder! He hasn't paid, I haven't sent him anything. Feedback states "I was looking for this rare item and found it!" Maybe that means he found it elsewhere, but that's definitely a first.

Hey, at least I got something out of the NPB :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Eh, I get pissed off when someone has yet to pay me or ship the item and they're already demanding that I leave them feedback.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I fully understand it, and don't need to be "swayed" since that is how I operated when I began selling. However, once I realized that only about 10%-25% of the buyers would follow through on their end, changes had to be made.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I think I'll find a thread with a higher reading comprehension rate. :)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
As a seller I will leave feedback for the buyer after they have left it for me. However, I also ask them to leave the feedback after they have received the item and when they get a chance. I want them to be happy with their purchase and resolve things beforehand. I did, however, need to file one non-paying bidder report even after trying multiple times to reach the buyer. Hate to do so but it is a necessary evil. You know the worst part? It could have easily been avoided if the person simply took the time to communicate with me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's an email I sent back to a seller who wanted me to leave them feedback before they would leave me (the buyer) feedback (they also let me know the items were en route):

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

As a seller I used to leave feedback right after I received payment. Not anymore. I've had a few incidents where the buyer would threaten me with negative feedback after I left positive feedback for them for the dumbest reasons.

Some were not happy that I used media mail as opposed to first class mail, which was indicated in my auctions description that I usually ship by media mail.

Others were just impatient, as I have any way of speeding up their mail delivery.

I had a few just want their money back for no good reason at all, and threaten me with neg feedback, after I left positive feedback and their dvd/cd was already in their possesion.

I've also learned, as a seller, to always use delivery confirmation. I've had people say they never received items after I left positive feedback for them. After I started to use delivery confirmation a few years ago, I have yet to encounter this problem. Seemed like a few bad apples wanted something for nothing and when you used positive feedback, they would try to extort from you knowing I had no recourse.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And like I said, I'm prepared to lose feedback over this principle. The stalemate is one scenario that is fine with me as long as I receive what I bought (as a buyer), or I am paid for what I sold (as the seller).

I'm just tired of sellers using feedback to extort good feedback from the buyer (and I'm sure sellers are tired of unscrupulous buyers of the same). My point is that trust should be earned, not coerced. Unfortunately, everyone only looks out for numero uno, and we get sporadic cases of bad apples making everyone wary of the entire feedback process.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Whether I'm the seller or the buyer, I don't leave feedback until payment is made AND the buyer receives the item and says he's satisfied. Once all that happens, I'll leave feedback regardless if the other party has yet or not.

I emailed the Ebayer I started this thread about a third time and he finally left me feedback today.

He left me positive feedback, but a short 'GREAT' in the description. Atleast he didn't neg or neutral me for bugging him. It may not have been the wisest thing to keep emailing him about it, but it pissed me off. However, I was always very nice and pleasant in the emails.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hey, it's probably wise to wait until the smoke clears, but it still irks me when I'm the buyer and the seller sits on their fingers until I blink first (or ever).

If I'm the seller, and the buyer confirms that things are a-ok with the deal, I'd have no problems leaving feedback first in that situation, but there are those sellers that will still wait and wait and wait until the buyer leaves feedback before they do so themselves (in order to extort positive feedback). That always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when seller insists on their feedback protocol when it's not the fair thing to do.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I also don't mind being the first to leave feedback if I am the buyer. To me it means I have received the item and everything is OK. One time I bought an item from someone that had a "program" set up to leave you positive feedback instantly after you left them positive feedback. Sure enough it worked. Haven't run into that again though.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
As a seller, I leave feedback upon receipt of payment. As a buyer, I generally leave upon receipt of goods. If there was something I didn't like, such as the seller telling me the item was shipped on the 5th, but it's postmarked the 9th, I won't leave feedback for a liar. Wouldn't neg them for something like that, though. I'm disappointed if someone doesn't give me any feedback, but I've never asked them straight out.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I just won an auction last night. I paid the person within the hour after the auction ended. This morning they've left feedback already. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks