Have ?'s please help about DIY theater?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Michael Robinson, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson Auditioning

I just recently built a house but did not finish the upstairs. Well now I want to make it into a Home Theater. The room is 12' x 56'. I can make it any length really by just adding a wall. What is a good size room? I'm going to get a front projection. My other question is, is it better to use paneling or drywall?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike Robinson

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Wow, that is a long room. First thought that came to my mind was to make a bowling alley. Maybe even one of those big shuffle boards.

Personally I think 25' is an ideal length. Plenty of room for 2 rows of seating and some breathing room in the back so the rear surrounds are not directly overhead.
    My HT is 30' long which is a tad too big in my opinion.

Best thing to do is design your room before you start construction. It may end up that you only need a 20' room, or 30', who knows. Don't worry about room dimensions.

One other thing to think about is acoustics. Every room has modes, or natural resonant frequencies. Some dimensions are acoustically better than others. This will take a bit of research on your part to figure out if just changing the length of your room will benefit you in this regard. (I'm assuming the height and width are fixed).
    There is a spreadsheet that will calculate room modes, all you have to do is enter the dimesions. If you do a search you should be able to find it.

3. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Wow 12' wide and 56' long. That's not a room, it's a hall. Seriously though, the dimensions are critical. What you really need at this point is a good room size calculator. Here is a Web Site that has one:

http://www.tmlaboratories.com/