What's new

Have not played a decent rpg in yrs? (1 Viewer)

Jason Handy

Second Unit
David, you have a great point. I think, however, that the PC and console RPGs are going after completely different gamers. The console games are more stylized while the PC games try to be a little more realistic. Of course there are exceptions to every rule - Shenmue is fairly realistic (from what I have heard on these boards)
One of the other things I noticed too, is that most PC RPGs tend to pay homage to D&D in some form. Even if they do not adopt the exact rule-set, they are typically high-fantasy setting with magic users, fighters, rogues, etc. In contrast, games like FF series and Skies of Arcadia tend to create a more unique, less recognizable world. Nobody can deny the fact that BG, Icewind Dale, BGII all have basically the same backdrop for a game - Faerun. But some people like their games to have something different.
In closing, I think that your first step in finding a playable RPG for you is to look at what interests you more. Do you prefer your RPGs to be familiar Forgotten Realms type settings, or do you prefer this anime style backdrop so familiar in consoles? Consider that at their heart, all RPGs have the common theme of controlling one or more characters in pursuit of some far reaching goal. Battle systems are different and emphasis is placed in different places. And finally, "real fantasy" does not exist :), Final Fantasy backdrops are just as fantastical as the Forgotten Realms in the objective sense.
Jason

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think PC rpgs are by far superior over console ones still, I just can't get into the whole cutsey pseudo-anime that console rpgs usually offer.
I think a lot of it is just down to what setting you prefer. The Tolkein/D&D world that a lot of Western RPGs focus on bores me. The anime-tinted worlds from Japan interest me & grab my attention more... Have you seen the new Baldur's Gate game for the PS2? It's not a RPG - much closer to Diablo/Gauntlet, but it's appears to use the Baldur's Gate setting very well.

Sitting back on the couch to play my RPGs appeals to me too... But hey, it's that diversity that makes gaming so good.

Welcome to the forum, David.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Too many options w/ too little difference. It was a failure of the D&D engine to me. I'm in the minority.
I'd agree with that. I was a fan of the M&M series until 3DO ran it into the ground.
I guess right now I'm either an action RPG fan or a console RPG fan. Games like BG II have too many options for me; learning curve was a little too steep.
I guess my attention span wasn't long enough. Then again, my girlfriend is probably much happier that I didn't get into it!
:)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I prefer console RPGs because they appeal to me a lot. PC games are all either too complex for their own good and require you to get into them too much or are not as original as console RPGs. While some console RPGs are stereotypical, their stories and some of the greater aspects, like battle systems and such, are original. Final Fantasy games generally have excellent stories and ingenuitive battle systems that vary slightly from game to game, making each one new, while most PC RPGs are either hack 'n' slash or weird and outlandish. Also, console RPGs are more cinematic, so while that might pull you out of the game and more into it as a movie, it does make the experience better and make the game seem to be full of a story instead of just gameplay.

Of course, all IMHO.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
You guys bring up some excellent points. It is simply a matter of preference. I love the complexity of PC RPG's. I like the Final Fantasy series allot but I find it difficult to get into the games anymore having played as many PC RPG's as I have. Its the linearity that kills it for me. Some would argue that Baldurs Gate is linear but you actually have so many quests to do and there are so many things to keep track of it makes it feel much more open. Of course you have games like Daggerfall, Fallout and Planescape Torment (Best RPG ever IMO) that offer huge adventures with a large variety of gameplay and the ability to really make your character a pivotal part of the world they are in. I love that. That is what made me fall in love with the PC side of role playing. Thats just me though.
I agree at times consoles offer a very other-worldy quality to them. That is a big plus and one of the things that I enjoy about console RPG's. Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, all good games with very enjoyable story lines and excellent settings. Then you have games like Xenogears (The greatest console RPG ever IMHO) that totally captivate your mind and you dont even care if its linear.
We all have our preferences. For me, although I enjoy console RPG's...I'm PC all the way:)
In the end Adil the best way to find a good one is to play them. Give a bunch of the console RPG's a rental and see which one sticks (again I would highly highly recommend Xenogears).
For PC take a look at some reviews and see what tickles your fancy. You may want to try some of the Online RPG's also (if you are into that type of game) Dark Age of Camelot is excellent and now that Funcom has fixed allot of the issues Anarchy Online is finally shaping into a nice product.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I like it when I'm told a story and I get to play out the fun parts (which is why I love Rogue Leader so much) and the Final Fantasy games let me do that. I don't mind linearity. In fact, I would rather a game be really linear than non-linear.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I like it when I'm told a story and I get to play out the fun parts (which is why I love Rogue Leader so much) and the Final Fantasy games let me do that. I don't mind linearity. In fact, I would rather a game be really linear than non-linear.
Thats cool Morgan. Allot of people enjoy that style of play. There is nothing wrong with it. I personally enjoy shaping the story by my actions in the game. I love seeing the things I do in an RPG have consequences that change the storyline or make it even more interesting ala Fallout of Planescape. Its all about what you enjoy:emoji_thumbsup:
PS Also I mentioned this in another thread..I think Morrowind will finally bring the PC RPG mentality to consoles. With its release on the X-box allot of console players will get the chance to experience what us PC heads have been raving about for years. I hope the game succeeds and further closes the gap between PC and console gaming.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I completely agree with you Romier, Morrowind is going to get a lot of RPG players seriously looking at the Xbox. I can't wait for this game to come out. Another one to watch for is Project Ego, this game is going to change the way we think about RPGs.
Dean

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I'm not sure Morrowind will introduce PC RPGs to the console masses so much as the Xbox is introducing consoles to the PC crowd.

Myself, I like both console and PC games. There's no rule out there that says you have to choose between the two. I appreciate great console-style RPG like the brilliant Xenogears for having wonderful characters and telling a sweeping, but intricate story and for sheperding me where I need to go to further the story. I find myself turing to walk throughs on the internet for PC games far more often than console games just cause it's easier to get lost and not know what to do next in a Fallout or Arcanum or Baldur's Gate (the 2nd does a pretty damn good job leading you without pushing, though). And I love being able to just go wandering far afield in a PC RPG and discovering all sorts of fantastic things. And I can enjoy the combat systems in both types of games. I likes 'em both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks