Have not played a decent rpg in yrs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adil M, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Guys,

I have played FF7 and it was nice, better for my little little sister. I would love people's rec's on the best or most fun PC rpg in the last four yrs, I know it's opinion, but get me going on something. I've been a gaming dropout for a while. I played Diablo II and got bored after four days, so short. I played Baldur's Gate and no offense, but it sucked. I have always loved the FF series and was wondering if something similar or any good PC RPG's had been out. The last good PC RPG I played was Betrayal at Krondor (real old school). The Electronic Boutique guy said that all the latest PC RPG's have sucked... that's odd. I'm trying to get back into the gaming, so thanks for the help.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well, I repectfully disagree with you about Baldurs Gate but to each their own[​IMG]. If you are looking for good recent RPG's Gothic is tops on my list right now. Excellent game with great graphics and very open ended gameplay (for PC by the way). There is a demo available if you want to give it a try.
    Also I dont know if you tried the sequel to Baldurs Gate but it improves greatly over the first game (no more barren forest maps in need of clearing and useless errand quests). Of course if you just didnt like the infinity engine games this may not be for you.
    I would also recommend Planescape Torment (The greatest RPG ever IMHO). Also another infinity engine game but very different than Baldurs Gate. Its not for everyone. There is ALLOT of text and the game is extremely story based and not very action oriented. But the story is to die for and the game has best character development I have ever seen. You can find it for 19.99 at most game shops.
    Some other good games (although a bit older) include the Fallout series. These should be experienced by all RPG'ers.
    On the console front I very much recommend Skies of Arcadia (if you have a Dreamcast...if not they are only 50 bucks anymore[​IMG] Also there will be a PS2 port). One of the best Dreamcast games released and well worth the money. Grandia 2 is good.
    As you can see I'm a bit of an RPG nut[​IMG]. Its the main genre I play and almost all the PC games I own are RPG's. Theres allot of good stuff out there.

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Lunar 1 and 2. Buy them both, they are amazing games!

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

if you have a Gameboy Advance, 'Golden Sun' is quite a nice RPG... very nice story, amazing graphics... highly recommended.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I liked Final Fantasy 9, but if you're talking PC RPGs, I dunno what to tell you. Try checking out GameSpot's PC section.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Final Fantasy Tactics. You may want to search this forum, there was a Favorite RPG Games thread a few weeks back.

7. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Adil , the RPG genre has been pretty bland for a few years.

8. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

How about Wizardry 8? I haven't seen any reviews of it yet but the Wizardry series is one of the all time greatest RPGs for the PC. If you didn't like Baldur's Gate (great RPG IMO) I don't know if you're going to find an RPG that you like.

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Actually, the best one I've played in a while was Planescpe:Torment. I really didn't think I'd like it. It's a D&D based game, and being raised on Dragon Warrrior and Final fantasy I'm not a huge fan of the system. I was pleasantly surprised though, since the game has a great story, and really does offer you a LOT of choice in how you play. One of the few RPGs that I'll probably play through again soon, if only to find out what changes if you play through as a super-evil character. Another feature that I liked was that you could gain experience through things OTHER than combat-like completing dialogue based quests etc. A very good game that you can find really cheap now.

10. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

My most treasured buys ever were DWI and FF, but I also have played many D&D based games like Secret of the Silver Blades and Ultima is another game engine. You can tell I have played many outdated games. I just didn't like Baldur's Gate. I might try FFIII for SNES. It should be cheap and easy to find, but I really wanted an RPG to take advantage of my PC and have a good story. Why do these seem mutually exclusive?

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Provided you can find one for sale. Pick it up in its Playstation port form, the Final Fantasy Anthology. It should be cheaper and easier to come by, plus you'll get FFV too.

13. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I REALLY think you should give Baldur's Gate another try. No game has ever absorbed more of my time. I played this game multiplayer with 3 of my buddies, and it's the most fun I've ever had. The character creation, the combat engine, the graphics (for the time). Incredible. Pausing the game and planning your attack against the town guards is a blast (Multiplayer especially). There are so many weapons, custom armor...I could go on and on. I really think that the final fantasy series is so limiting because it is so simplistic. Random Battles? Not good. If you want things like that, the PC isn't going to really satisfy you because the random battles are meant to compensate for the consoles inability to draw that many characters on screen at once.

14. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I second Lunar 1 and 2. Even though I was the one who suggested them [​IMG]

15. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I'd actually be playing BG for the third time. I keep getting to Chapter 2 or 3, the one before Baldur's Gate and I quit to explore. The fighting is what pissed me off about the game. It's boring. Too many options w/ too little difference. It was a failure of the D&D engine to me. I'm in the minority. However, am very knowledgeable and experienced w/ D&D gaming. If only Diablo II had not been such a click click click game...

Were any of the succesors to Betrayal at Krondor any good? What about the Might and Magic Series? I played M&M 7 and got real bored, real quick. I'm going to look for one of those Nesticle type things so I can play any of these hard to find rpg's easily and cheaply.

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Adil,
    BG1 did have its issues but I think it was still a good game. I still think you should give Baldurs Gate 2 a try. Like I said originally it corrects allot of the issues from the first game and offers a much more battle oriented system with much more variety (you dont always have to have a bow anymore[​IMG]). This is coming from an old school D&D tabletop player as well[​IMG] . Now if only Neverwinter Nights would hurry up and come out........

17. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Ok, for the truly old school rpgers out there Wizardry 8 is the only game worth mentioning [​IMG] All others are only pretenders to the name RPG. How's that for a way to start some trouble [​IMG]
    If you don't mind graphics that aren't bleeding edge, they're pretty good, but nothing out of this world, and are more concerned about an intricate storyline, awesome combat system, and endless player configurability, get Wiz 8. There are several reviews out there now, and they have all been overwhelmingly positive. The Wiz 8 mainpage linked below has some reviews linked. For those of you who actually still have savegames from Wiz 7(~1994), you can import them into Wiz 8.
    Anyways, currently Wiz 8 is only available at Electronic's Boutique, but that may have finally ended, and other stores may be allowed to sell the game now. I've had the game for about a week and a half, and am thoroughly addicted. Oh, there's also a demo, so check it out if you still have doubts
    Some links:
    http://www.wizardry8.com (main site)
    http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1004493187/ (demo)

18. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I think the Fallout Series is totally original and very very made.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. David_Li

David_Li Auditioning

This is my first post here but I thought i'd jump right in since this is one of my favorite geek pasttimes =)

I'd have to firmly cast my vote in the direction of the Baldur's gate series. Especially part II which in my opinion encompasses an interesting storyline with gameplay that many RPGs have strived to do over the years. Planescape: Torment also deserves a nod as well but I haven't played that ALL the way through yet but it is fantastic from what i've played thus far. Next up i'd have to say the Ultima series before 8 came along. Ultima 1-7 are absolute classics and you really can't discuss RPGs without mentioning them.

I think PC rpgs are by far superior over console ones still, I just can't get into the whole cutsey pseudo-anime that console rpgs usually offer. Plus I find console rpg plots to be incredibly shallow and geared towards an adolescent subsect that isn't familiar with real fantasy like Tolkien etc..