Have new website, now I need Outlook set -up Help!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by James_S, Aug 31, 2005.

1. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Alright I need some help setting-up my email in outlook express, I would prefer to use outlook if possible.

I have a new website and my hosting provider has sent me:

Incoming (POP3) Mail Server: mail.**********.com
    Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server: mail.*********.com

This will get forwarded to my MSN account. But I can’t seem to get it straight. I have enter the info in the “add account”, but it fails every time. Get a X failed. The site is live.

Or is there a mail service (hopefully free) that I can use to forward all the mail from the site to go to.

Thanks in advance,

James

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    1) Are we talking about Microsoft OUTLOOK or Outlook Express right now? They work differently, so advice for one won't be directly applicable to the other.

2) Presumably you have been given an e-mail account on the new domain by your ISP ([email protected] or something along those lines) and a password to go with it. (That is, the ISP is really running the post office for your domain, and you aren't administering it directly using a server and a program like MS Exchange.) If so, you'll need that information in order to set up either Outlook or Outlook Express. Just having the POP3 and SMTP servers isn't enough.

I suspect you'll get the best results by contacting the tech support department at your ISP, since they presumably know how things are done on their end, and what you need to do on yours. Since this isn't a typical "I signed up with an ISP and they gave me an e-mail" situation, it may be harder for third parties to offer useful advice.

Forwarding to MSN is something that you'd have to set up after setting up whichever version of Outlook you plan to use (don't try to set up both programs for the same mailbox on the same PC, you'll confuse the hell out of yourself. [​IMG]) BTW, why forward the mail to MSN? You're going to have to access both accounts anyway unless your ISP offers some kind of server-level mail forwarding.

Regards,

Joe

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're just wanting to forward the mail from your new website to your MSN account, you don't need Outlook to do that. You just need to log in to the mail server for your domain. You'll need to check with your host to see what address to use...usually it's something like mail.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com/mail or something similar. Then you log into your email account just like any other web based mail (msn, hotmail etc) and set up forwarding directly on the server.

4. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Okay, guys thanks very much for you help and I am waiting for my tech support ticket to be responded to.

James