What's new

Have I selected the right cables? (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I am planning on purchasing the following cables for my home theater:

Center speaker: Monster Cable MCX1s ML-C10
Main speakers: Monster Cable MCX1s ML-10/10
Surround speakers: Monster Cable MCX1s ML-20/20
Coax Digital (to connect DVD player to preamp/processor): Monster Cable M1000D-1M
RCA (to connect preamp/processor to amplifier): Monster Cable I400MKII-.5M
Spade connectors: Monster Cable ML LAS-H
Banana connectors: Monster Cable ML MT-H

So, what do you think? Any changes that I should make?

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
By the way, it's better if I use a Digital Coax cable rather than a Toshlink cable to connect my DVD player to my preamp/processor, right?

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Haris,

In terms of value these are certainly not items I would be looking at. Particularly those speaker cables, given you're going to terminate them yourself anyway. Also--some of those RCA's have Monsters "turbine" connectors--which I personally loathe--they grip MUCH too tightly on the gear. Hard to got on; even harder to get off--to the point where you might damage something (pull a jack off the back of the component, etc.).

It's your money though, and maybe you've found some special deal at 75% off, etc. The cables you've indicated aren't "bad" (other than the turbine grips, IMHO), just to me overpriced.

I still think you could get by equally as well with Acoustic Research Pro interconnects from www.accessories4less.com or Fusion AV cabling from Radio Shack (do you have any Radio Shacks in Dubai?). And good quality 12 gauge speaker wire from Partsexpress or a hardware store (or Radio Shack again). You could easily get all your speaker cable (this 12 gauge stuff) for the list price of that Monster center speaker wire itself.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Oh--digital coaxial vs. Toslink--assuming you don't have any requirements based on the number of inputs to your receiver/processor, I'd go with digital coaxial because it's typically cheaper though Toslink would eliminate the possibility of ground loop problems. There are a lot of folks who say they prefer the sound of the digital coaxial--I've not A/B'ed myself.

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
Haris,

I would go to bettercables.com and consider their stuff before I would use monster cable.

I have lots of Monster Cable, decent stuff, but overpriced. I wish I had found bettercables before I began with Monster.

Bill

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Bill W.,

I would get BetterCables, but they don't have lower price cables like Monster Cable.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Don't know is this is the right place to make a sales pitch, but I have a pair of MonsterCable MCX-1s Biwire speaker cables that I want to sell, they have large size monsterlock spades on the speaker ends and monsterlock bannanas on the amp end of the cables. They are 10ft long, less than a year old and in very good condition. I'd be willing to sell them for $45 plus shipping.

Let me know if you are interested.

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
Haris,

Tell me what prices you are considering as reasonable, and I might be willing to make you a deal on my monster cables.

I am upgrading to Belden/Canare handmade cables soon and would be willing to part with my monster cables for VERY good prices. Most of my Monsters are low-mid grades, but above that price you would be into the prices of Bettercables.

Bill

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Thank for all for your offers.

But I just have this thing that wants me to buy "brand new" things. I have nothing against you guys, but I just would like to have brand new stuff.

So, if all of you are saying that Monster Cable is not worth it, then what do you recommend? I have about $400-$500 to spend on cables. I need the following:

1 center speaker cable (around 10 feet in lenght).
2 main speaker cables (around 10 feet in lenght).
2 surround speaker cables (around 16-20 feet in lenght).
1 digital coaxial cable to connect DVD player to preamp/processor (around 1.64 feet in lenght).
5 RCA cables to connect preamp/processor to amplifier (around 1.64 feet in lenght).

All the speaker cables should have spades on one end and bananas on the other end.

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
For that much money, have you considered making your own cables? You could get a great set of tools, all the cable and the ends(and I'm talking about quality cable and ends). Plus, you'd future proof yourself incase you decide to alter or make longer cables, you wouldn't have to go out and lay big $$$ for new pre-made cables. If I had that much $$$ for cables, that's what I'd do.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You might also consider Link Removed since they have a lower line as well as the super nice silvercats. Take a look at the coppercat line for some cheaper cables with high end RCA connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks