What's new

Have I done everything correctly? (1 Viewer)

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Sound & Vision test disk, along with the Radio Shack digital spl meter (they don't carry the analog ones where I live, but I was able to get it on sale for $45 Cdn, which is half price :)). I set up the spl meter on a tripod in my usual listening position(C weighting, slow response). I turned off the active EQ and speaker EQ on the receiver. To get 75db on the test tones, my receiver was set at -12db(0 being the loudest). I set all the speakers to be at 75db. For the subwoofer, I left the receiver's subwoofer setting at 0 and increased the volume using the subwoofer's own volume knob. Using this method, I set the subwoofer's volume at 80db. After doing this calibration, I think that my system sounds much better, even though my wife can't tell the difference. But, from a technical point of view, have I done the calibration properly, or have I missed any steps? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
what's your receiver?
if it's anything like mine or a lot of others, you're supposed to set it so that the sound is at 75dB when the receiver volume is 0, namely reference level. if your receiver doesn't go above 0, then forget it, -12dB is your reference level then.

apart from that, everything seems to be set correctly. you can twek the sub volume to your liking as well.

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Kenwood VR-6060. I chose -12db on the receiver because that is where it showed 75db on the spl meter.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Well then, you've hit it. Not all rcrs are set at the "0dB Method."

For example, my Yamaha hits 85dB "reference" at -17.0dB on its volume dial that bottoms at -99dB and tops at 0dB. Onkyo and Denon and others may be different.

I'd suggest a little adjustment on the sub level controls. Many try to end up with the sub and rcvr SWFR levels in midposition or thereabouts as a compromise in getting optimum or good-strength voltages.

So if you go back to the rcvr and lower its SWFR level down from 0 (the fullest) and turn up the sub amp volume control, you get into this middle range. The other big advantage is once you calibrate and set the sub amp control, you wanta forget it. With the rcvr's remote, you can sit in the chair and raise or lower SWFR level as you wish. Setting it to 0dB or max doesn't give you this adjustment range.

Perhaps I am missing something, but don't you want your sub's output level to be the same as that of the other speakers, instead of 5 db higher, as you have it now? Is there any practical or recommended reason for doing this, or do you just like to have your bass a little heavier than normal? (BTW, there's nothing wrong with that if it's what you like, it's just not a "flat" response). Thanks.

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

I am no expert, but I have read many interesting posts by bass guru's who do recommend setting the sub a little hot if you listen at low to moderate levels. Something about our ears not being sensitive to low freq. at low volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks