1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Have Gun Will Travel - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by michael_ks, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Stunt Coordinator

Edward Van Fossan
    I have all three seasons of Have Gun Will Travel. I have not viewed season 3 as of yet. Simply put, the first two seasons look as though they were transfered from VHS tapes. Bet season 3 does as well. Black is black...gray is gray. The overall picture is sharp. But look at it close up, well...it isn't good! For those of you who have Wated Dead Or Alive, I believe from Studio Canal....note the difference. I don't have to tell you. Much, much sharper.

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I don't have HGWT, but do have Wanted Dead or Alive and can vouch as to the clarity, contrast, and lack of graininess. Superior quality.

3. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

Brad Smith
    While I've only watched a handful of HGWT episodes so far, they look decent enough to me projected on a 92" 16x9 screen. I wouldn't want to watch them any other way. While not Gunsmoke quality I can't personally understand the references to VHS. It could be that I have just gotten use to transfers from 16mm prints that many of the smaller companies have to use vs. the 35mm prints used by most studios.

Interestingly, I also have Wanted Dead or Alive. I've only watched a few episodes of it so far but I have more issue with season 1 of it then HGWT. From what I understand season 1 came from a PAL transfer and there are times when I see jaggies and shimmering on horizontal lines that becomes distracting. Most notable the brim of his hat or blockiness in his eyes. I wondered if it is a result of going from a slightly higher resolution down. My understanding is that the later two seasons were not from a PAL transfer.

4. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin