What's new

Have Gun Will Travel - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Anyone purchase this set yet? I received mine from Deep Discount yesterday. A quick scan through several of the episodes indicates that those that have the best transfers are quite probably the sharpest, clearest looking episodes of all three box sets. Unfortunately, a few episodes lack crispness and fine grain clarity--thankfully they are proportional in number to the good transfers witnessed in seasons 1 and 2.

This time around Paramount has packaged 2 discs per slim case, making for a slimmer box set (4 slim cases instead of six). What's annoying though is that now the plot synopses are covered by the discs, which in turn are held in place by somewhat inferior center tabs. (On one my cases, two of the tiny "tabs" snapped off when removing the disc--they were bent in manufacturing/handling). The menu set-up is much the same, however somewhere around the third or fourth disc there is an alteration to the layout for the "Play" and "Wire Paladin" selections.

Two other minor annoyances: a glossary box (first two had a satin finish) and the arrangement of episodes. 5 discs contain 6 episodes apiece, but disc two has 4 and disc 7 has 5. Why not arrange them like the first two seasons? They could have then packaged three slim cases with 2 discs in each. When I first read that there were 7 discs in this collection I was hoping the 7th would be devoted to extras--sadly, that is not the case.

All in all, highly recommended, because hey, it's Paladin in all his glory. Though we get a few more duds compared with the first two seasons, there are a number of 4 star segments, including: "First, Catch a Tiger", "Episode in Laredo", "Return to Fort Benjamin" and "The Unforgiven".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I believe it was the 4th season that had the first 2-part story in this series "A Quiet Night in Town".

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Correct, Jeff. It was the first and only, in fact. A very engrossing story of four men who hang Paladin's prisoner for amusement and his ensuing efforts to mete out justice. "Hey Girl" takes over for the (majority) of the season. Kam Tong reappears near season end and remains with the show through the 6th year.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Thanks to my subscribing to Sirius Satellie Radio last month, on their Radio Classics (Channel 118), I heard the radio versions of GUNSMOKE and Have Gun, Will Ttavel for the first time -- and they're not bad! :emoji_thumbsup:

Have Gun, Will Travel is one of the few series in history to start on TV (1957) and then come to radio a year later. The radio version was produced for a few years, but was outlived by the Richard Boone series. The radio version starred frequent guest star John Dehner in the lead role of Paladin.

GUNSMOKE on radio had William Conrad as Matt Dillon and Howard McNear (Floyd on The Andy Griffith Show) as Doc! :D Chester Goode (TV version) was called Chester Proudfoot on the radio!

I wouldn't buy these for my CD collection, but it's hard to catch them on Radio Classics because Sirius has no regular schedule for these shows, including The Jack Benny Program, Fred Allen, The Burns & Allen Show, or The Life of Riley. Those are the only old radio shows that still work well now decades later. All of those performers made the transition to television, but the least talented of them -- Fred Allen was best used on the game show What's My Line? until his death in 1956.

Anyone know where to download these radio shows for free? :)

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff # ,check out live365.com

You can listen to many OTR shows there for free.I use it all the time to listen to many of the shows you mentioned while I surf the net or am just working on computer projects.If you have an audio capture device on your computer,you can record the streaming radio stations while you listen.

http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/direc...1.x=17&I1.y=20

Many classic tv series of the 1950's and 1960's were radio shows long before they became the tv classics that we know and love.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Thanks, Brett! I don't plan on recording any of those (unless somebody I know asks me to make a CD of them). I just hope I can listen without having to download first, but if I have to I will.

Yes, I'm aware that the many comedy series I listed started on radio in the 1930s and 40s before coming to TV. The digital upgrading of those sound tracks make then sound as good as new.

I'll bookmark that site and check it out.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
One thing I'm finding is there are alot more humor infused in this season than prior. There are alot more Roddenberry stories and he tends to write the lighter ones. Still I'm enjoying this season of Paladin.

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
I have the first 3 seasons of Paladin. They are superb.
The video transfers are excellent with a rich range of B&W/grays. I bought them from Columbia House about a year ago.
Best
How

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Yes, Gene Roddenberry was head writer on Have Gun, Will Travel for a while. Since he's so popular with the Trekkies, why is it that Gene's first TV series as Exec. Producer, the 1960s peacetime military drama "The Lieutenant" starring Robert Vaughn isn't on DVD yet?

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
There does seem to be a larger number of light/humorous episodes in this 3rd-season. I'd never noticed that before. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't ("The Naked Gun" episode is terrific; "An International Affair" is rotten). Generally, I always had the notion that the 3rd-season was perhaps the weakest of the six. I was particularly pleased, though, to see an episode I'd never encountered before, "Return to Fort Benjamin"... and it was a knockout. So I'm certainly happy with the set. Let's hope more HGWT volumes are to follow! There are some really amazing episodes in those later seasons.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah there did seem there was an effort to Lighten up the series and the character of Paladin (Maverick influence ?)
I like HGWT a bit more serious, but it's still a good show

Jeff#

Screenwriter
There were some humorous episodes, but not because of any influence from Maverick.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Just a quick note to those (myself included) who never got around to picking up the 3d season. Amazon has it for $18. But be careful; the search page results there will bring up the original pricing too, which is $45.99.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Thanks, Doc. I've also been waiting for a price drop on HGWT and have ordered season 3.

Phantom

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher D Scott
There is a major problem with certain Season 3 sets. My copy was bought in 2006, and was perfectly fine when i got it. But now when i checked just a few days ago, they are all showing signs of some kind of deterioration. Disc 5 & 6 wont even boot up anymore. A quick bit of research into this problem, brought me to a discussion over at Amazon.com where it is basically confirmed that a great number of these Season 3 boxsets are defective. Which kind of really sucks for me, as i'm in Australia, and the chances of getting a replacement so long after purchase, is pretty much nil.

These are excerpts from the Amazon customer discussion;

"In the set I received, the shiny sides of Discs One through Six were dulled and cloudy. They had appeared at first glance to be very, very badly scuffed, with odd circular striations and mottling.

The double-disc slimcases in which these six discs were housed felt oily and greasy to the touch. When you run your finger across the plastic it leaves a mark as if you had run your finger through grease.

Apparently what has happened is that there has been a chemical reaction to the shiny surface of the six DVDs from contact with the oily plastic in these three slimcases and this has caused the problem.

I want to emphasize that it seems to be just this one particular batch of Season 3 sets which are exhibiting these problems. They all have a white rectangular label on the bottom of the box (affixed over the original ISBN/barcode/UPC number) with ISBN 1-4157-1211-5 and UPC 97368885820. "

My set does indeed have this white label on it, and the UPC number is the same. I've contacted my R1 supplier, but as yet have not heard anything back. So just a heads up to anyone else who purchased this set... go check all the discs right away!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I checked my set, and although it has different ISBN numbers, my discs also are getting a cloudiness on their surfaces. It does seem the slightly oily feel of the slimpacks is the culprit. My discs still seem to play alright at this moment, but I'm undeniably concerned for their future. I'm wondering if Paramount came out with any other sets around that time, utilizing the same batch of slimpacks, which will cause us worry.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. At the very least I can separate the discs from the cases, and hopefully replace them.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Well I got around to checking mine last night and sure enough my discs are affected as well. Mine also appear to be playing for now, but like Bert I'm very dismayed by this and am concerned for their longevity. On a couple of discs I wiped them with "Fantastik" and a clean cloth and that alleviated about 50-75% of their spotty/cloudy appearance. It would seem that is a surficial problem primarily but there is a chemical reaction occurring as well. The same thing is happening to my S1 set, by the way, although S2 looks as good as it ever did.

I checked my "Rawhide" discs and some others housed in slimpaks and so far I'm in the clear for all other titles. So at the very least, I plan to swap out the slimpak cases for S1 and S3. And I can confirm that these cases, relative to those for S2 seem to indeed have an oily appearance that is subtle enough that I never noticed it before.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Goodness, gracious. I too have been hit with this problem. I read about the season 3 amazon.com snafu a couple of months ago. Having checked my set initially against these defective amazon sets, using the ISBN, I figured everything was ok. But after reading these posts I went back to check the actual discs themselves, and the slimpacks, and discovered I too had a problem with the blotching and oily surface. Sounds like a problem for Clearasil.

My discs all play okay, but like you guys I'm worried. I traded each bad slimpack out for good ones I had lying around. But one weird difference from Michael's experience: My problem slimpacks were in Seasons 2 & 3. Season 1 had no problems, and didn't use the dreaded Scanavo cases. But seasons 2 and 3 did. Stranger still was that while the season 2 cases were the bad ones, none of the discs had any blotching at all. I still changed them out just to be safe, but the inconsistency of this whole problem is bizarre.

Gary "I am worried about my season 3 discs because they are in bad shape, blotching wise" O.

Kronosis

Agent
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Jeff# /forum/thread/227685/have-gun-will-travel-season-3#post_2761728

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks