Have extra PC... Want HTPC... now what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Holland, May 29, 2002.

1. Chris Holland

Chris Holland Auditioning

Ok, well... I've never really thought about running my Mitsu WS55807 off of my computer. But now that I have an extra one sitting around it really would be a great experience. I have an idea of what I need, but would like to run it by my fellow enthusiasts, and look for pointers. Here is the basics of the xtra puter that I have:

P4 2Ghz
    Asus p4b266 mobo
    512mg ram
    seagate 80gig
    que dvd-r
    GeForce3 Elsa Gladiator
    SB Audigy w/ breakout
    Win 2k pro

Now for the questions that I have.

----How do I get component output to my TV? Do I need another vid card? Or is there a breakout for SVGA to component.

----What software do I need to use. I currently have PowerDVD? Do I need DScaler? or anything else?

I guess I'm looking for what components work together. This would be for DVD playback, and MP3 storage for now. So I don't really need a video capture card right? Well thanks for any help.

Chris

2. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Hi Chris,

OH FUN! Wait til you see what 540p or 1080i scaled dvd will look on your set. I have a 65807 and use HTPC and it's a blast. I'm not too familiar w/GeForce3s but the Radeon have been long favorites for HTPC. My old GF2 was only capable of 480p or 540p and no interlace. Not sure if both GF3 can do interlace.

"How do I get component output to my TV? Do I need another vid card? Or is there a breakout for SVGA to component?"

It depends on your setup. Is your 1080i input available? You can use a breakout cable from your VGA to your RPTV which is the preferred method. (I have two VGA sources and use a VGA switcher and connect a b/o cable from the switcher to the 65807.) If you're using component for whatever reason, you can use a transcoder which converts VGA to component.

"What software do I need to use. I currently have PowerDVD? Do I need DScaler? or anything else?"

I stopped using PowerDVD once TheaterTek was available. It's a little buggy but the picture quality outweighs the negatives. It could be MEs fault and I'm sure W2KP will be better. You also need PowerStrip to sync your HTPC to your set. I don't use Dscaler myself.

I'll come back later and provide links for you.

Goodnight.

3. Chris Holland

Chris Holland Auditioning

Thanks Allen,

That would be helpful for sure. I've got a buddy of mine who would love to pick up my GF3 card, so if its not a decent one for rez and scaling images then it's sold. I've been reading that the basic Radeon 8500 is a pretty solid card for this. So, maybe that's what I'll pick up to replace it.

Well, I'm off to do some more research... Thanks again for the info. This really ought to be interesting. Hopefully it will be a better pic than my panny 91. My set has been cal'd by CW of DC, so it ought to look stunning.

Chris

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

what hardware/software do you use to get a 1080i signal to your TV? I'm looking at building a htpc also and would like to know. If I'm reading this right your using a regular radeon card and using the vga out via a breakout cable and running it into your 1080i input? What resolution do you set your computer to to do that?

If you haven't realized I may be a bit confused.

Thanks for any help

Nick L

5. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Nick L, check out Powerstrip for setting up custom resolutions on your HTPC. Also, read up in the AVS Forum HTPC area for help. There should be a sticky thread with a FAQ on this subject.
    A question of my own: Is there a list somewhere that keeps track of which video cards can actually output a 1080i signal? I have an old Riva128 and a Voodoo 5 5500. The older card won't even do custom resolutions, while the 3dfx card will do custom resolutions, but not interlaced. I'd like to be sure of my options before I shell out more $ for a new card.