What's new

Have dipoles speakers but only one side wall...help w/ placement please? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Hello all, I recently sold some Def Tech rear bipoles (BP6's) which did not need any mounting, as a backup for now, I have some old Carver 5.1 rears. These are dipoles and I understand that most dipoles need to be wall mounted and cannot be used on stands effectively. My problem is to the rear of my seating area, only one close by (4ft) side wall exists (right side). THe rear wall is right behind my couch (prime seat) at about 2 ft. I am wondering what my mounting options are, if any, for the left dipole rear speaker. Could I put it on the back wall somehow and still be effective? THanks for any help guys..
Have a great holiday weekend! :D

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Many use the back walls if you are not too far away. Some ceiling mount them as long as the ceiling isn't too high.

Regards,

John

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I sorta have the same question. My back wall is 12ft wide and I only have a wall on one side maybe 2ft away. on the other side it opens up to the rest of the basement. Is there any way of using a direct firing speaker for surrounds on a situation like this or will I have to go with a placement friendly di or quad pole speaker. The ceiling will be about 71/2ft tall and the distance to the viewing area is 15ft away.

If I don't go with an Axiom set up, I'll either go with the Energy Encore or Totem Dreamcatcher systems. Of which both of these use direct firing surrounds.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I also have only one side wall and when I looked into this a while back, the weak consensus was that direct firing surrounds would be easier to balance, since they don't depend on the side wall for reflections as multi-pole speakers do. I certainly have had no problems with my direct-firing surrounds.

To be honest, though, in the long term I would prefer to go with multi-poles if I could, but I haven't yet read anything to give me the confidence that I could really get them properly balanced/calibrated with an asymmetrical side wall setup. And rear-wall mounting is not an option for me, though I'm not sure how that would really compensate for the lack of a side wall anyway.

I hope this thread generates some responses, I'm interested to learn more about this.

Eric T

Second Unit
I have a similar dilemma, which I posted about here, with no responses yet:
My post.
I also only have one accessible sidewall, and I currently have dipole/bipole switchable speakers on the rear wall which work well. But, the new speakers I want to buy are dipole-only, and I'm not sure if they would work there. The direct speakers that are available are quite deep, and I don't know if rear wall mounting would be an option. I'm interested to know what options we have with rear-mounted dipoles.

Keir H

Second Unit
I guess the general consensus is you shouldnt have dipoles on stands firing into the room like direct rad. due to only perhaps a back wall reflection and no side or ceiling reflections? I hear thought that mono surrounds that are setup in the rear soundstage to the sides of the listeners are very destractive and dont promote a wide dispersion pattern needed for depth in the surround channels. Too localizable. Is that true? Any other options? I am need to match the fronts as much as possible (Linn) but may not be able to find Linn surrounds reasonably.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks