What's new

Have a hookup question regarding Dish receiver & 2 TV's... (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have the Dish 6000 as part of my HT system in the living room. Well, my master bedroom is located on the other side of the wall that my HT sits on. I was thinking about running another coax cable from my Dish 6000, thru the wall to my bedroom tv, and then just using the RF remote that came with the 6000 (since I use the Pronto for the HT) to change channels while in the bedroom. This would allow me to have free TV in the bedroom without having to buy a basic package from the local cable company, or buy another Dish receiver and pay $5 extra per month, or whatever it is, for a 2nd receiver. My question is, will I be sacrificing signal quality in the living room if I do this? As I said, I have the Dish 6000, and do subscribe to HDTV, so I obviously don't want to do anything that's going to degrade the signal. What do you guys think?

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Patrick,
I'm no expert, but I don't think you will have any problems hooking your other TV up as mentioned. If you have more than one output on the back of the sat receiver, I would presume the second output was intended to be utilized at some point. Even if you have only one output and you use a splitter, I can't imagine that such a short run of a few feet would cause any noticeable degradation of the picture quality.
Good Luck
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick,
Since the 6000 does not have an RF output, you will have to run 3 coax cables. One for composite video and two for audio. The short distance will not be a problem but make sure your bedroom TV has the correct inputs.
-Robert

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
The other factor is that a single receiver can only be tuned to one channel at a time.
The usual use of a second receiver is so that two different family members can watch two different channels on two different TVs. Or else to record one channel while watching another channel.
SO, if your bedroom TV will never be used to watch a different channel than the living room TV, at the same time, then the above described hookup should work (if your bedroom TV has the above described inputs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks