What's new

Have a good sub. Dont need floor standers. What are some outstanding mini monitors? (1 Viewer)

If I were buying a system from scratch, I would not go for floor-standing main speakers at all. With a good subwoofer, there is really no need for the main speakers to have good bass response. Save the money and buy a good minimonitor instead. They tend to image better than large tower speakers do.
I agree with Dr. Hsu on this. That's his quote above. If you have a good sub, you should save your money and get a really good set on mini monitors.

I want to spend $2000.00 - $2500.00

I am getting:

2 fronts

2 surrounds

1 center

I have a good sub and will upgrade to Hsu or SVS. I need some advice on some really good mini monitors.

Suggestions on some outstanding mini's?

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Klipsch RB-5. Get 5 of them. List is $400 each. They have been used by some as recording studio monitors.

Doug

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I don't agree with this statement, so I might not be much help. In my opinion, main (all) speakers should be capable of reproducing good bass to 40hz or so. This ensures a good blending with the sub at the crossover point.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Jeff,

When the THX standard crossover point is 80Hz, what good will a speaker do that goes down to 40Hz? I'll tell you... it will "TRY" to produce frequencies that the subwoofer is suposed to and screw it all up with distorted, muffled, muddy bass that should be the job of the sub anyway.

Unless you have a 2-ch music only system there is no need for a speaker to produce bass down to 40Hz. An F3 of 50-60Hz is plenty to blend with a good sub.

Martice

Screenwriter
PSB Mini Monitors, Paradigm 20's, Kef 201's (awesome), I hear a lot of good things about the Diva line of speakers and also the JBL 'S' series are supposed to be no brainers for speakers. I would recommend the GR Reasearch speakers that I am waiting to arrive in the next few days or so but I haven't really heard them yet but the reviews that the speakers have been getting and at the price that they are going for seduced me into giving them a shot. If you go to audioasylum.com and do search on them using Paradox 1 or Gr Research in the speaker section you'll see what I'm talking about.
Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
Audio Asylum

Camp

Senior HTF Member
When the THX standard crossover point is 80Hz, what good will a speaker do that goes down to 40Hz?
That's assuming the THX crossover applies. Not everyone uses THX settings. A fact which seems to have escaped you.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I would say EFE Technologies T-22 for the front and center, and Ed Frias DIY design for the rear. I just went down to San Diego this last weekend and picked up this setup. I would suggest you read the reviews for the DIY speakers on audioreview.com and then imagine that the T-22's sound at least 50 % better. Total price for this package is $2000.00, which includes ED putting together the DIY's for you. I have owned a PSB Image 4T setup, I then upgraded to a Norh 4.0 ceramic package, and now the EFE T-22's. I also picked up a pair of Emerald 97's on Ubid just to try them. The EFE's without exageration are at least 100 % better. The Norh's were the closest out of the bunch, although not really close.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Camp,

It hasn't escaped me. Most even have crossovers higher than 80Hz. Some have 90Hz and some have 100Hz, some even higher. How many can you think of that have lower than 80 besides Outlaw?

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
When the THX standard crossover point is 80Hz, what good will a speaker do that goes down to 40Hz? I'll tell you... it will "TRY" to produce frequencies that the subwoofer is suposed to and screw it all up with distorted, muffled, muddy bass that should be the job of the sub anyway.
Not so. Many many speakers produce down to 40hz very nicely. The THX crossover is not a brick wall. It is meant to slowly blend the speakers and the sub. At a 80 hz crossover, the mains rolloff to about 40 hz and the sub ramps down from above. In order for this blending to work as intended, the mains need to be capable of producing these frequencies.

If you use speakers that rolloff much sooner than that, all you are accomplishing is creating a hole in that range.

Martin G

Second Unit
The Polk LSi7 and LSi9s would be a good choice. i had the pleasure of demoing the LSi9s and I was very impressed. The LSi7's are closer to a mini monitor then the 9s are. Plus you can get the Lsi7s for about $650 a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks