Have a good sub. Dont need floor standers. What are some outstanding mini monitors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael John R, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Michael John R

2. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Klipsch RB-5. Get 5 of them. List is $400 each. They have been used by some as recording studio monitors.

Doug

3. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

I don't agree with this statement, so I might not be much help. In my opinion, main (all) speakers should be capable of reproducing good bass to 40hz or so. This ensures a good blending with the sub at the crossover point.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Jeff,

When the THX standard crossover point is 80Hz, what good will a speaker do that goes down to 40Hz? I'll tell you... it will "TRY" to produce frequencies that the subwoofer is suposed to and screw it all up with distorted, muffled, muddy bass that should be the job of the sub anyway.

Unless you have a 2-ch music only system there is no need for a speaker to produce bass down to 40Hz. An F3 of 50-60Hz is plenty to blend with a good sub.

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

PSB Mini Monitors, Paradigm 20's, Kef 201's (awesome), I hear a lot of good things about the Diva line of speakers and also the JBL 'S' series are supposed to be no brainers for speakers. I would recommend the GR Reasearch speakers that I am waiting to arrive in the next few days or so but I haven't really heard them yet but the reviews that the speakers have been getting and at the price that they are going for seduced me into giving them a shot. If you go to audioasylum.com and do search on them using Paradox 1 or Gr Research in the speaker section you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
    Audio Asylum

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  8. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I would say EFE Technologies T-22 for the front and center, and Ed Frias DIY design for the rear. I just went down to San Diego this last weekend and picked up this setup. I would suggest you read the reviews for the DIY speakers on audioreview.com, and then imagine that the T-22's sound at least 50 % better. Total price for this package is $2000.00, which includes ED putting together the DIY's for you. I have owned a PSB Image 4T setup, I then upgraded to a Norh 4.0 ceramic package, and now the EFE T-22's. I also picked up a pair of Emerald 97's on Ubid just to try them. The EFE's without exageration are at least 100 % better. The Norh's were the closest out of the bunch, although not really close.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Camp,

It hasn't escaped me. Most even have crossovers higher than 80Hz. Some have 90Hz and some have 100Hz, some even higher. How many can you think of that have lower than 80 besides Outlaw?

10. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Sony DA5ES can go much lower than 80 on each speakers crossover!

11. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

12. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

The Polk LSi7 and LSi9s would be a good choice. i had the pleasure of demoing the LSi9s and I was very impressed. The LSi7's are closer to a mini monitor then the 9s are. Plus you can get the Lsi7s for about $650 a pair.

13. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

M&K - 750 for the 3 fronts, SS150 for surrounds!

14. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I second Wyatt's M&K suggestion.