Have $850, Denon 3802 or Onkyo 797 or something else?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TerryC, Oct 13, 2001.

1. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

They both seem to have DPL II and DTS ES which are the biggest wants. What is the general consensus on these two and is there any other brand worth considering?

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

IMHO, the 3802 has the "best bang for the buck"!

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Denon 3802...coz I got one? Only thing I hate right now about this thing is that it only has one (1) coax in. Now I have to buy toslinks...anyone know where I could get them cheap?
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

4. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

I was faced with that exact same question two months ago, and decided to go with the Denon.
    For me it was the two powered rear channels that made the difference.
    I am very happy with the 3802, and other than a user manual and remote control that were confusing early on, I have found nothing to dislike about it.

5. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I'm still worried about the humm that a lot of people are experiencing with the 3802. ??? Other than that it would seem to be the one.
    Russ

7. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

i just got my 3802 a week ago and have no hume at all.I love it!
    ------------------
    I love to chat about dvd & HT , feel free to yahoo me.YAHOO messenger: billsfan71
    " Master Yoda said I should be mindfull of the future." Obi-Won Kenobie

8. Dan A

Dan A Agent

has anyone bought a 797 yet?

9. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

One other receiver maybe to consider is the Sherwood 963. MSRP is $1500, so it might not come close to $850, I don't know how aggressively Sherwood stuff gets discounted.
    Featurewise, it is pretty nice, sort of in between the 3802 and 4802, closer to the latter. Just now hitting dealers.
    BB

10. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I'll chime in on the 3802 bandwagon too. One big reason for me would be that the Denon allows you to adjust Pro Logic II Music mode via 3 parameters (Dimension, Panorama and Center Width.) The Onkyo does not.
    (I should point out that my 3802 is one of them that has a teeny bit of hum. My unit was an early production unit (bought in August.) The hum is very low and ANY ambient noise masks it. The level is so low that I chose not to return my 3802.)
    ------------------

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I think a couple fellas over at hometheaterspot.com have received their 797s.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

12. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

Chuck Kent, the Onkyo 797 has the adjustments for panorama, center width, and dimension. I've owned the receiver for 2 weeks now. Before I purchased it, I was told by Onkyo's product support that the unit did not have the adjustments, but they were wrong.
    I'd say the Onkyo 797 has better functionality (I've never had to use the OSD, so this is very convenient if I want make minor tweaks to the speaker levels, or Pro Logic II Music mode adjustments mentioned above, without having to turn my TV on). Also, it has front panel A/V inputs, + more coax and optical inputs than the Denon.
    But for $100 to $200 more (comparing list prices, or B&M stores) the Denon 3802 has 7 channels of power, and even if you only plan to use 5 channels -- you can then use the 2 additional channels to power a 2nd zone. The Onkyo 797 requires a separate poweramp for a 2nd zone. But at least if you buy the Onkyo and want to have 2 rear speakers a few years down the road.....all you have to do is buy a 2 channel poweramp.
    I recently realized the importance of having 2 rear speakers instead of 1. With 2 rear speakers you can use these for multichannel audio (DVD-Audio or multichannel SACD) which apparently is better than using the side surrounds. With the 6 channels of the Onkyo, you'd have to use the side surrounds for multichannel audio since using only 1 rear surround would not be ideal.
    Also, the Denon 3802's Matrix mode is supposed to be quite good for music playback and is a good alternative to the DPL2 Music mode both receivers have.
    I sometimes question my decision, but I chose the Onkyo 797 due to it's better functionality (or at least the design makes more sense to me), the THX Select certification (piece of mind), the extra coax inputs, and the lower price (Denon would have cost me $100 more).

13. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

Those Acoustic Research cables seem like a good value. I've seen them at BestBuy and Sears. The 3' Coax cable is only $8.99 (at BestBuy).

14. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Paul: Thanks for the info. It was also my understanding that only the 989 had the DPL II Music mode adjustments.
    ------------------